Sludge buildup in old motor - Chevy Nova Forum
Visit our sponsor, National Nostalgic Nova

Steve's Nova Site is an automotive enthusiast website dedicated to the 1962 - 1979 Chevrolet Nova, Chevy II and Acadian automobiles. We work together to preserve, restore, drive, show, race and provide fellowship for these classic cars. This is one of the best places to find information about parts, rebuilding, restoration and racing. This website is not affiliated with GM, General Motors or Chevrolet in any capacity.

Go Back   Chevy Nova Forum > Body, Chassis and Mechanical > Drivetrain & Performance

StevesNovaSite.com is the premier Chevrolet Nova Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 23rd-September-2013, 01:13 PM   #1
carbon_x

Title: Nova Junior Member
Nova(s): 1976 Nova Base Model
Sludge buildup in old motor

Hey guys - first off, thanks for any help, it's appreciated!

I've got a '76 with the inline 6 motor that was once sitting for quite a few years in a field. I'm not sure of the entire history of maintenance, but it still runs and drives (after fixing a few things here and there). I bought it from my girlfriend's grandparents, and they owned it for 20 years, but it was sitting for 4 or 5 in a field after they couldn't drive anymore... The valves were chattering, so I took the valve cover off and went to fix it, and this was what it looked like:

What's the best way to clean that up? It runs strong, only 72,000 miles on the motor, but I have a feeling this would help quite a bit, as well as overhauling the carburetor, which is next. A few people have told me Seafoam in the crankcase, however I've read bad things about doing that - but what do you guys recommend to clean it up?

Thanks a ton for any help!
Advertisement

Old 23rd-September-2013, 03:09 PM   #2
big dog ss

Title: Nova Guru
Nova(s): 1970 SS
i would change oil and filter and short iy one quart oil and add 2 cans of seafoam to oil. go out and drive it. then after some regular runs at operating temp change the filter and oil agian and add one can of sea foam to oil. then drive and change oil after a few hundred miles. keep doing this til sludge is gone. this process may take some time and several oil changes...

the faster way of this is to drain oil and change filter and fill with kerosene, add 1 more quart of kerosene then you would with oil... run engine for a few min no more then 5min. then let it sit over night. next day change filter and drain kerosene and fill with oil and drive it for a 100 miles then service it again..the kerosene will dissolve the sludge and when you drain it, it will be black and nasty... the reason you only run it a few min is kerosene will hurt the bearing if the engine runs to long...
Old 23rd-September-2013, 03:12 PM   #3
Coreyapet

Title: Nova Senior Member
Nova(s): 1966 Nova SS
I dont think your going to find a miracle cure for cleaning it, it took 40 years to get there, and will take a long time to clean out, I have used a quart of Transmission fluid in the crankcase, as it has very high detergent value, but keep in mind, anything you use, doesnt usually, dissolve the debries, it removes it from the metal, all the debries usually goes into the pan, or hopefully filter, I would change the oil or at least filter a few times right after any kind of additive. others may have better ideas in this also.
Old 23rd-September-2013, 04:08 PM   #4
wskaiser

I personally think you would be better off leaving the baked on deposits where they are rather than trying to dissolve them. You get all they crud circulating around the engine, some of it is going to get onto the oil and play hell with the bearings and such. Just change the oil and filter every few hundred miles for a few cycles and then just drive it normally.
http://community.webshots.com/user/wskaiser
Old 23rd-September-2013, 05:14 PM   #5
Twisted6

Nova(s): 64 SS chevyII
Quote:
Originally Posted by wskaiser View Post
I personally think you would be better off leaving the baked on deposits where they are rather than trying to dissolve them. You get all they crud circulating around the engine, some of it is going to get onto the oil and play hell with the bearings and such. Just change the oil and filter every few hundred miles for a few cycles and then just drive it normally.
I have to agree here. anything that does not brake down 100% will end up getting stuck in the pick-up screen and then you will not have any oil flowing to the rest of the motor and have bigger problems. You can scrap off most of that and su*k it up with a shop vac. and leave the rest alone. is my2cents.
PS block off the oil return holes first.
Old 23rd-September-2013, 05:22 PM   #6
bansheestu

Title: Nova Newbie
Nova(s): 1966 Nova SS
I have had a few customers bring in rigs like this that are all gummed up. My advice would be to leave it alone. You start breaking that stuff loose it is going to plug the pickup tube in the oil pan and then you start losing oil pressure. I personally have replaced a couple of engines where people have messed with it and destroyed the engine. I think the best you can hope for if you choose to mess with it removing the oil pan several times to clean the pickup screen until you finally get it all. So leave it alone...
Old 23rd-September-2013, 10:29 PM   #7
EdyJun

Nova(s): 1972 Nova
Quote:
Originally Posted by big dog ss View Post
i would change oil and filter and short iy one quart oil and add 2 cans of seafoam to oil. go out and drive it. then after some regular runs at operating temp change the filter and oil agian and add one can of sea foam to oil. then drive and change oil after a few hundred miles. keep doing this til sludge is gone. this process may take some time and several oil changes...

the faster way of this is to drain oil and change filter and fill with kerosene, add 1 more quart of kerosene then you would with oil... run engine for a few min no more then 5min. then let it sit over night. next day change filter and drain kerosene and fill with oil and drive it for a 100 miles then service it again..the kerosene will dissolve the sludge and when you drain it, it will be black and nasty... the reason you only run it a few min is kerosene will hurt the bearing if the engine runs to long...
Sorry but I don't think kerosene is a good idea. Have read bad things about this method.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 23rd-September-2013, 10:38 PM   #8
65novaken

Nova(s): 65 ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by wskaiser View Post
I also agree
in the old days havoline motor used to slowly clean engines.
I don't know if this is true today with the additives nowdays.
Old 24th-September-2013, 01:57 PM   #9
big dog ss

Nova(s): 1970 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdyJun View Post
Sorry but I don't think kerosene is a good idea. Have read bad things about this method.

back in the day it was a common practice. i wouldn't try it on anything that didn't come with a factory carb..
Old 24th-September-2013, 01:59 PM   #10
EdyJun

Nova(s): 1972 Nova
Quote:
Originally Posted by big dog ss View Post
back in the day it was a common practice. i wouldn't try it on anything that didn't come with a factory carb..
Interesting...

Old 25th-September-2013, 12:26 AM   #11
Rotorbolt

Nova(s): 1964 Chevy II 400 4dr sed
I would leave it alone. If its running strong like you say and has good oil pressure, don't disturb it. If too much of that buildup gets loose in the engine at once, the first thing it will take out is the oil pump if the pickup doesn't get plugged first..Going through and cleaning the carb out durring a rebuild would be a better choice and would make more of a difference in how it runs vs. cleaning the buildup shown on the cylinder head.
Old 25th-September-2013, 01:17 AM   #12
carbon_x

Title: Nova Junior Member
Nova(s): 1976 Nova Base Model
Thanks for all the advice! I'll leave the engine internals alone and work on a carb rebuild and hopefully that will get her running even better.
Advertisement