LED Tail light Conversion - Chevy Nova Forum
Visit our sponsor, National Nostalgic Nova

Steve's Nova Site is an automotive enthusiast website dedicated to the 1962 - 1979 Chevrolet Nova, Chevy II and Acadian automobiles. We work together to preserve, restore, drive, show, race and provide fellowship for these classic cars. This is one of the best places to find information about parts, rebuilding, restoration and racing. This website is not affiliated with GM, General Motors or Chevrolet in any capacity.

Go Back   Chevy Nova Forum > Body, Chassis and Mechanical > Electrical

StevesNovaSite.com is the premier Chevrolet Nova Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 26th-August-2005, 03:24 AM   #1
SuperNova69

Title: Nova Guru
Nova(s): 69 Nova
LED Tail light Conversion

Anybody know of anyone that makes these for 69's? I just saw in the latest Super Chevy that C2O has a kit for 66-67's. I think I might be able to use that since it's basically the same thing as a 3rd gen tail light, only vertical...and rounded at the top...

Think it'll work? Or does anyone know of any other companies that make them for 3rd gens?

Matt

69 Nova - 357, TKO600, Tru-Turn, awaiting LS1 swap
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 26th-August-2005, 09:42 AM   #2
Maxturbo

Somebody has a site on "How To" LED the 3rd Gen lights as I have seen it before. Can't seem to locate it now though. You're talking about the complete lense background area not just the replacement multi LED bulb arrangement that plugs into the existing socket, huh.

Like these...
http://www.superbrightleds.com/led_prods.htm

Last edited by Maxturbo; 26th-August-2005 at 09:45 AM.
Old 26th-August-2005, 09:52 AM   #3
69NovaSS

What Max suggested, getting an LED replacement bulb, for your existing fixture to me would be the easiest and cheapest way to do it. I will be going that route when the time comes. It will be nice not having to ever change a bulb again. Plus they are brighter too. Sorta a win win IMO
Old 26th-August-2005, 09:54 AM   #4
Maxturbo

The "CAMARO" AND "CHEVELLE" boys can buy em' all day long...

http://www.trimparts.com/Pages/Resul...&ProductCat=53
Old 26th-August-2005, 12:24 PM   #5
tpinova

Title: Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69NovaSS
What Max suggested, getting an LED replacement bulb, for your existing fixture to me would be the easiest and cheapest way to do it. I will be going that route when the time comes. It will be nice not having to ever change a bulb again. Plus they are brighter too. Sorta a win win IMO
I spent three years working on the lights on police cars and emergency vehicles. This gave me a lot of exposure to LEDs. The 1157 LED replacement bulbs aren't a good option for third gen Novas. The LED bulbs are only bright when you look at them straight on. The factory angle of the bulb fixture is wrong for this. The best option seems to be the circuit boards with bulbs attached and a plug that fits the original socket. The great thing about LEDS is they are bright, have a very long life, put off very little heat, and draw very low amperage. Because of the low amperage, your factory flasher will not work. The aftermarket has address this but a LED specific flasher should be on your shopping list if plan to change over. Some manufacturers add a resistor to their light assembly to cure this issue. I have been waiting for a LED conversion kit to be released for for these cars for years. I think a new taillight lense design would be needed to get the most out of LEDS. The original looks like it would defuse the LEDs too much.
Old 26th-August-2005, 12:43 PM   #6
69NovaSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpinova
I spent three years working on the lights on police cars and emergency vehicles. This gave me a lot of exposure to LEDs. The 1157 LED replacement bulbs aren't a good option for third gen Novas. The LED bulbs are only bright when you look at them straight on. The factory angle of the bulb fixture is wrong for this. The best option seems to be the circuit boards with bulbs attached and a plug that fits the original socket. The great thing about LEDS is they are bright, have a very long life, put off very little heat, and draw very low amperage. Because of the low amperage, your factory flasher will not work. The aftermarket has address this but a LED specific flasher should be on your shopping list if plan to change over. Some manufacturers add a resistor to their light assembly to cure this issue. I have been waiting for a LED conversion kit to be released for for these cars for years. I think a new taillight lense design would be needed to get the most out of LEDS. The original looks like it would defuse the LEDs too much.

Nothing better then the voice of experence. That is good to know info. Thanks
Old 26th-August-2005, 04:45 PM   #7
Allen_396

Quote:
The 1157 LED replacement bulbs aren't a good option for third gen Novas. The LED bulbs are only bright when you look at them straight on. The factory angle of the bulb fixture is wrong for this. The best option seems to be the circuit boards with bulbs attached and a plug that fits the original socket. The great thing about LEDS is they are bright, have a very long life, put off very little heat, and draw very low amperage. Because of the low amperage, your factory flasher will not work. The aftermarket has address this but a LED specific flasher should be on your shopping list if plan to change over. Some manufacturers add a resistor to their light assembly to cure this issue. I have been waiting for a LED conversion kit to be released for for these cars for years. I think a new taillight lense design would be needed to get the most out of LEDS. The original looks like it would defuse the LEDs too much.
I agree with all of this. The optics on the lens is designed for incandescent bulbs. LEDs put out a different light pattern and the objective of the lens is to capture the light and toss it out there at the correct (and legal) viewing angles mandated by the FMVSS.

Although they look neat and have other benefits mentioned above, I'd never stick any behind the old lenses designed for bulbs without testing it. I want people to see my lights from all necessary angles.

Allen (safety first.... plus I work in the automotive/truck/trailer lighting industry)
Old 26th-August-2005, 05:38 PM   #8
SuperNova69

Actually, the ones in Super Chevy said it had a sort of "hard drive" for the lights, and the LED's themselves were on a type of circuit board that went behind the lens. The whole reason I want LED lights isn't because they look cool (I actually think they look kind of ugly on 3rd gens), it's because I've seen how dim my lights really are compared to new cars with LED brakes/taillights.

Just trying to make my car more visible (without getting one of those 3rd brake lights).

I also remember someone on these boards made their own LED tail lights for their car (a 3rd gen, but not sure on the year). They said they accidentally left them on overnight and the wires/lights weren't even hot the next day.

Anyone remember?

Matt

Old 26th-August-2005, 10:39 PM   #9
tpinova

If you are wanting more rear visibility, maybe I could suggest what I have on my car. I purchased a strip of eight LEDs under a red lense and mounted it at the top of the rear glass. This is wired directly to the brake switch under the dash (with a 10A fuse). Third brake lights have been standard on cars for twenty years now. That is longer than a large number of todays drivers have been lisensed. They are conditioned to identify this third light as 'the brake light.' Also with the thin LED strip, they are almost invisible until you touch the brake pedal. It's been good for a grin or two.
Old 27th-August-2005, 05:56 AM   #10
SuperNova69

I've thought about those, but I dunno. Not really a fan of them on older cars. I do like it on my mom and dad's cars, but on mine...I dunno.

I guess I'll look into it anyway.

Thanks,
Matt

Old 27th-August-2005, 09:47 AM   #11
chevynuts88

Nova(s): 66 SS
I made my own

Someone on this site helped me connect them correctly. They are sitting on the shelf now because the "ARE NOT" bright.I was getting the finger from everyone because they cuoldn,t see brake or tailights unless in dark. Apparently what I did wrong is I didn,t use " super bright bulbs".The cost here for regular is 10cents each and for super brights is $1.00 each.
Old 29th-August-2005, 07:12 PM   #12
new2novas

Nova(s): 63 custom convertible
unless you know a bit about electronics, just buy the bulbs that have leds, the direct replacement kind....and let me know how they work
Old 29th-August-2005, 08:35 PM   #13
tpinova

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2novas
unless you know a bit about electronics, just buy the bulbs that have leds, the direct replacement kind....and let me know how they work
A friend had some of the 1157 LED replacement bulbs so we tried them in my car. They were without question, "the dimmest taillights I have ever seem." About half as bright as the factory bulbs. Please let me clarify,"You should only run these bulbs if really want your car to be rearended." You can't see them well at all. If you are wondering why, you should read my prior posts.
Old 29th-August-2005, 08:47 PM   #14
mychevyii20

Nova(s): 1966 More Door 350hp 350
Quote:
A friend had some of the 1157 LED replacement bulbs so we tried them in my car. They were without question, "the dimmest taillights I have ever seem." About half as bright as the factory bulbs. Please let me clarify,"You should only run these bulbs if really want your car to be rearended." You can't see them well at all. If you are wondering why, you should read my prior posts.
Many of the replacement LED bulbs, often in fine print, say for "offroad use only". I use the LED array from Technostalgia. Good bright, and very bright brake lights. Also eliminated all the bulb, ground problems.
Old 3rd-October-2005, 07:58 PM   #15
SuperNova69

Just a bit of info for all the 3rd gen-ers out there. I emailed Technostalgia and asked if they had a universal type of conversion or if the Camaro kit would work and they said they were working on a kit for 3rd gen Novas as we speak, and it should be ready by January 1st, 2006. Sorry it took so long to post this, not having internet really blows.

Matt

Sponsored Links
Advertisement