Engine died, Battery / alt problem? - Chevy Nova Forum
Visit our sponsor, National Nostalgic Nova

Steve's Nova Site is an automotive enthusiast website dedicated to the 1962 - 1979 Chevrolet Nova, Chevy II and Acadian automobiles. We work together to preserve, restore, drive, show, race and provide fellowship for these classic cars. This is one of the best places to find information about parts, rebuilding, restoration and racing. This website is not affiliated with GM, General Motors or Chevrolet in any capacity.

Go Back   Chevy Nova Forum > Body, Chassis and Mechanical > Drivetrain & Performance

StevesNovaSite.com is the premier Chevrolet Nova Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 25th-February-2013, 05:03 PM   #1
pinstripe_chuck

Title: Nova Junior Member
Nova(s): 72 in progress
Engine died, Battery / alt problem?

So I was cruising down the road, engine runnin good then it just shut off and wouldnt start back. Starter spins and I have 21.3V in batt. I am getting fuel and accelerator pump is squirting, I have no spark. So even though I had 12V I tried jumping it off with another vehicle and got my gauge up to around 14V and turned the key, it started. I tested the hot wire to my coil and it drops to 9V while cranking without a jump.

I thought maybe my battery was bad and had voltage but not sufficient amps. I took it to work today and out the load tester on it and it passed. When its running the alternator charges 14.2. If I charge the battery for a while it will start the engine. So I was leaning toward a battery problem but that dosent explain why it died while it was running cuz I tried disconnecting the batt while it was running and the alt kept it alive. So Im a little confused.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 25th-February-2013, 05:32 PM   #2
PldBryan

Title: Nova Guru
Nova(s): 1963 Nova SS 383
I would have it checked.

If it started when you jumped it, wont start without jumping or charger hooked up while cranking and your alternator is operating correctly ( showing over 12V when running) then bad battery it is.

Take it to any auto supply place and they can check it. I just took one in and they check the V as well as CCA available. V showed decent but CCA available was way under what it should be. Alternator showed charging 14V.
Muncie 4spd
F@&^ 9" Rearend
Old 25th-February-2013, 06:44 PM   #3
pinstripe_chuck

Title: Nova Junior Member
Nova(s): 72 in progress
But could a bad batt cause it to die while running down the road? the Alt wire attaches to the same stud on the starter as the batt and fuse box power wire. so while its running the alt should be supplying the coil with power not the battery. Maybe im wrong. Ill take the battery to have the CCAs checked.
Old 26th-February-2013, 07:45 AM   #4
bracketchev1221

Nova(s): 70 SS 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinstripe_chuck View Post
But could a bad batt cause it to die while running down the road? the Alt wire attaches to the same stud on the starter as the batt and fuse box power wire. so while its running the alt should be supplying the coil with power not the battery. Maybe im wrong. Ill take the battery to have the CCAs checked.
You are correct. The car should run off the alternator. If anything, I am thinking it is from the fuse block to key switch to ignition circuit.
Old 26th-February-2013, 10:49 AM   #5
PldBryan

Nova(s): 1963 Nova SS 383
Start checking connections and grounds.
Muncie 4spd
F@&^ 9" Rearend
Sponsored Links
Advertisement