All the Header Advice For 1st & 2nd Generation Chevy II - Page 4 - Chevy Nova Forum
Visit our sponsor, National Nostalgic Nova

Steve's Nova Site is an automotive enthusiast website dedicated to the 1962 - 1979 Chevrolet Nova, Chevy II and Acadian automobiles. We work together to preserve, restore, drive, show, race and provide fellowship for these classic cars. This is one of the best places to find information about parts, rebuilding, restoration and racing. This website is not affiliated with GM, General Motors or Chevrolet in any capacity.

Go Back   Chevy Nova Forum > Body, Chassis and Mechanical > Drivetrain & Performance > Best of Drivetrain & Performance

StevesNovaSite.com is the premier Chevrolet Nova Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 18th-July-2005, 11:32 AM   #46
Greg_R_63

Title: Nova Guru
Nova(s): 1963 2-dr hardtop
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67ChevySedan
Hey, Chevy2Only has what looks like Sanderson Shorty headers, but they are uncoated?

What do I get, Ceramic Coated, or noncoated ones I have to paint myself?(I assume you paint them with manifold paint?
Where do you see this? I can't find anything like the Sandersons on the C2Only site. Their part number 13001 looks identical to the Hedman 68160, but I don't know why you would pay them $180 for it, when you can get the Hedman from Summit for $136.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 18th-July-2005, 01:01 PM   #47
Greg_R_63

Quote:
Originally Posted by mychevyii20
I used a mini-starter. Had to orient the motor part upside down to get it to clear the headers.
How is this even possible? I am using a mini-starter with the angled bolt pattern. You cannot re-orient nothing. Not being sarcastic, just genuinely curious.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mychevyii20
Passenger side went in from the top pulling them up from underneath. Driver side had to lift the car about 18" to get them angled around the steering box.
And there it is. One person reading that is going to say to themselves "No problem!", whereas another will say, "He has to do that, just to install headers?? that means I will end up having to take out the engine for sure!"

I'm willing to do some work to get headers to fit, but the most trouble free option for most people seems to be to drop in the Sanderson cc14s, and let the muffler shop do the rest. That means that someone will post about how much trouble they had with the Sandersons leaking, etc., but that's the point: everyone is going to have a different experience with putting headers on these cars. The easiest header to put in will not be the best performing one, either.
Old 18th-July-2005, 01:12 PM   #48
NOGO

There is no way I could have installed my headers without removing(or atleast moving) the engine. I run a stock starter and long oil filter with no clearance issues.
Old 18th-July-2005, 02:40 PM   #49
67ChevySedan

Title: Nova Senior Member
1962-1967 HEADER - BLOCK HUGGER will fit square or oval port heads 13010 229.95 Pair SHORTY HEADERS
Not Coated

since they're not coated, I probabaly not get these.

Last edited by 67ChevySedan; 18th-July-2005 at 02:42 PM.
Old 18th-July-2005, 02:55 PM   #50
Greg_R_63

If I was going for the Sandersons, I would buy this pair on ebay from Nova Joe. 300 coated and shipped.
Old 18th-July-2005, 03:32 PM   #51
63novawagon63

Title: Nova Junior Member
can anyone recommend headers for a 63 wagon, using Hedits front clip and a 350 SB.

i want the same: no rubbing, must have clearance for plugs and oil filter

let me know thanks everyone
Old 18th-July-2005, 05:45 PM   #52
Greg_R_63

Some have mentioned S&S headers, http://www.ssheaders.com/muscle.htm

I would give them a call. Also, there's some guy on here called 'The Flyer'
He has a Heidt's clip on his 64, ask him what he uses.
Old 18th-July-2005, 06:20 PM   #53
the FLYER

Nova(s): B Pillar of Society
Hey Greg, thanks for the message... i do have a Heidt's clip... but as of yet i'm still undecided on my own header choice.

i have 2-1/2 ramshorns and a set of #2200 Hooker stainless "Shorties"... but so far i'm stuck. my cylinder heads were ported years back and the exhaust port configuration is 1-5/8 Round... so far all the header mfgs i've seen are utilizing an "oval" port configuration that won't seal on my heads... i'm looking at utilizing either an exhaust port flange to adapt my ports to the header ports... or a custom (ouch) set of headers...

i really wanted to use the Thorley Tri-Y's... but regardless of what i use, for the cost of these things... if i need to dimple or dent ANYTHING... i'll NOT be running them.

i think for all the money these guys get designing their products, a hammer should NOT be needed to fit.

there's a thread in suspension forum that is asking for clip part fitment (Headers, Oil Pans etc etc etc) it'd be nice for everyone to post on it for the help of others in the future.

for now, i'm still working my exhaust situation out and i have no answers for anyone... sorry.... thanks for the PM Greg !!!
'64 411 377-Tko600-3:73's
'64 469, '63 435 (projects), & '63 469 (my driver)

Videos~Albums
Old 18th-July-2005, 08:03 PM   #54
smoree

Title: Nova Senior Member
[QUOTE=Greg_R_63]How is this even possible? I am using a mini-starter with the angled bolt pattern. You cannot re-orient nothing. Not being sarcastic, just genuinely curious.

I have the Hitachi mini-starter (not sure of others) and by removing two allen head screws the motor/solenoid assembly can be rotated within the mounting block. I think this is what they meant by re-orienting the starter.
Old 18th-July-2005, 08:13 PM   #55
NovatoriusRex

Nova(s): 67 Chevy II Nova Hardtop
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoree
I have the Hitachi mini-starter (not sure of others) and by removing two allen head screws the motor/solenoid assembly can be rotated within the mounting block. I think this is what they meant by re-orienting the starter.
That's what I had to do with mine. The solenoid is now at the bottom of the starter assembly rather than at the top. This is accomplished by rotating the starter body on the mounting block by removing the two allen head screws theta smoree described.

Because the starter body isn't centered on the block and often not completely round, rotating it on the mounting block can often give you more clearance than the starter manufacturers original mounting position does.

I want a new duck. One that won't steal my beer... - Weird Al
Old 19th-July-2005, 01:38 AM   #56
mychevyii20

Nova(s): 1966 More Door 350hp 350
[QUOTE=smoree]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_R_63
How is this even possible? I am using a mini-starter with the angled bolt pattern. You cannot re-orient nothing. Not being sarcastic, just genuinely curious.

Yup, that is it. 6-8 differnt orientations are possible.
Old 19th-July-2005, 02:44 AM   #57
Doug_Winslow

Nova(s): 64 SS 4 speed
Plug Wrench

As far as a spark plug wrench, I had a "T" handle universal joint spark plug wrench. Well the thing was such a crappy wrench I broke the u-joint (potmetal) when I was removing plugs from my 194 - six. I threw the socket in my box..... and years latter, I found it to work great in my V-8 Nova with Hedman headers. I just slide the wrench on, and insert a screw driver shaft through the slot on the socket !!! Slow yes.... Effective "Oh Yeah" Doug-OUT
Old 19th-July-2005, 04:21 AM   #58
jer66nova

Nova(s): '75 nova best1/4 mile 13.
headers

Thanks Nitroweldon, I will call hooker and Headman today to check pricing and availability Dont like the fender well headers but wan the big tubes and looks like the only ones with the big tubes ar fender well unless you go custom/fabricate them yourself
Old 19th-July-2005, 01:56 PM   #59
63novawagon63

sorry if this a retarded question but, what are the differences between regular headers and ceramics. I noticed that there is a big price differences as well.

Ceramics have a higher heat tolarance?
let me know thanks
Old 19th-July-2005, 02:08 PM   #60
69NovaSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63novawagon63
sorry if this a retarded question but, what are the differences between regular headers and ceramics. I noticed that there is a big price differences as well.

Ceramics have a higher heat tolarance?
let me know thanks

Ceramic headers are regular headers that have been coated with a ceramic material. It helps the headers last way longer and I have also heard that they help lower the underhood temb a fair bit too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement