LS swap in 1970 nova - Chevy Nova Forum
Visit our sponsor, National Nostalgic Nova

Steve's Nova Site is an automotive enthusiast website dedicated to the 1962 - 1979 Chevrolet Nova, Chevy II and Acadian automobiles. We work together to preserve, restore, drive, show, race and provide fellowship for these classic cars. This is one of the best places to find information about parts, rebuilding, restoration and racing. This website is not affiliated with GM, General Motors or Chevrolet in any capacity.

Go Back   Chevy Nova Forum > Body, Chassis and Mechanical > Drivetrain & Performance > LSx Forum

StevesNovaSite.com is the premier Chevrolet Nova Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 1st-February-2013, 01:22 AM   #1
twistednovaman

Title: Nova Newbie
Nova(s): 1970 nova
LS swap in 1970 nova

Hi everyone!!! I am planning on doing an LS swap in a couple months in my 70 nova. Does anyone have any info on what major modifications and parts I will need? I will be getting a LS1, tranny, radiator w/fans, and computer out of my buddies 98 Camero. Any help is appreciated and thank you!!
Advertisement

Old 1st-February-2013, 02:20 PM   #2
TomM

Title: Nova Guru
Nova(s): 1966 - Coupe
My best advice to you is read, read, read, then read some more. The members here will be glad to help, but please do us all a favor and help yourself too......

You need to plan your build, get a clear path for where you want your car to go, and how you plan to drive it when you are done. To do anything else is going to cost you money and time trying to decide which way to go, right in the middle of your build.

Get your favorite beverage, set aside a couple of un interrupted hours and read the links below. Have a pen and paper handy, and jot down questions for yourself as you go, it will help you go back and get them answered. There is much to absorb.....oh, and welcome to the dark side....

Here's a great thread...

http://ls1tech.com/forums/conversion...1972-nova.html

And another ....this one has the whole kitchen sink...

http://ls1tech.com/forums/conversion...ap-thread.html

T,

Last edited by TomM; 4th-February-2013 at 06:51 AM.
Old 3rd-February-2013, 08:41 AM   #3
69bigblock

Nova(s): 1969 nova
as long you get the right mounts and oil pan the swap will go easy. like mentioned above, make alist of parts you need and price them out. makes things alot easier...
Old 4th-February-2013, 12:24 AM   #4
twistednovaman

LS swap in 1970 nova

Thanks for the info guys!!!! I will be doing some more research as I will get it together. Fortunately I have some friends that have swapped but this will be the first nova!!! Excited and ready to go on this venture!!!!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 4th-February-2013, 03:59 PM   #5
Rich74custom

Nova(s): 74 Nova Custom
Quote:
Originally Posted by twistednovaman View Post
Thanks for the info guys!!!! I will be doing some more research as I will get it together. Fortunately I have some friends that have swapped but this will be the first nova!!! Excited and ready to go on this venture!!!!

There is a 3rd Gen Nova section on LS1tech.

Your welcome to PM me with any Specifics.
Old 6th-February-2013, 02:53 AM   #6
twistednovaman

LS swap in 1970 nova

Thanks for the Info. I was told that I might be able to run some long tube headers form a F-body? I would really like to run long tubes but I don't want to spend a ridiculous amount of money.

Old 6th-February-2013, 06:00 AM   #7
Kyle844

Nova(s): 1977 Nova lsx
i'm running 4th gen ebay fbody headers, stainless... I believe the Drivers side is not pointing straight back, it is kicked out a bit so we headed it up with a torch and bent it back straight to work in my 4th gen nova. If you have a torch and some muscle available, go with the cheap ebay headers!
Old 6th-February-2013, 06:03 AM   #8
Kyle844

Nova(s): 1977 Nova lsx
Out of car

In car
Old 6th-February-2013, 12:37 PM   #9
rquad

Nova(s): 1974
Quote:
Originally Posted by twistednovaman View Post
Hi everyone!!! I am planning on doing an LS swap in a couple months in my 70 nova. Does anyone have any info on what major modifications and parts I will need? I will be getting a LS1, tranny, radiator w/fans, and computer out of my buddies 98 Camero. Any help is appreciated and thank you!!
Have a look at my build thread (link in signature). You might find something useful there and, hopefully, I will be ahead of you on the engine swap - if I can get this front suspension rebuild out of the way.

I've done a lot of research and made a lot of decisions already, but I don't have the "been there, done that" point of view to give you all the answers yet.

Let me suggest that you check out BRD Hotrods. They make a (pricey) swap kit that includes custom motor mounts and trans mount. I'm going with these guys because they say their kit is guaranteed to work with no clearance issues - even for a car like mine with factory air, PS, and PB. They also sell mid-length headers that are not supposed to have any clearance issues.

Again, take a look at my thread. You're also welcome to PM me with any particular questions you may have.
Old 8th-February-2013, 07:47 PM   #10
DiehardGM

Title: Nova Senior Member
Nova(s): 1971 Nova 2dr LQ9 TH350
If it is a small block car, you will have to put the motor forward a ways or swap over to a big block heater core. I used the holley pan with dingo sliders. Fits well and I can put the motor where I want it within a couple of inches.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement