First Post. Looking at this 72 Nova tell me what you think. - Chevy Nova Forum
Visit our sponsor, National Nostalgic Nova

Steve's Nova Site is an automotive enthusiast website dedicated to the 1962 - 1979 Chevrolet Nova, Chevy II and Acadian automobiles. We work together to preserve, restore, drive, show, race and provide fellowship for these classic cars. This is one of the best places to find information about parts, rebuilding, restoration and racing. This website is not affiliated with GM, General Motors or Chevrolet in any capacity.

Go Back   Chevy Nova Forum > General > Member Introductions

StevesNovaSite.com is the premier Chevrolet Nova Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
View Poll Results: Which Car Would You Have?
The Primer Nova 11 64.71%
The Red Nova 6 35.29%
Screw That! Keep the Camaro! 0 0%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Old 24th-January-2013, 10:44 PM   #1
TwitchZ28

Title: Nova Newbie
Nova(s): None
First Post. Looking at this 72 Nova tell me what you think.

Hey guys, my name is Mitch. I will apologize now to anyone who doesn't like to read because this is going to be a long first post.

I currently have a 2002 camaro Z28 with a cam and some other goodies that runs high 11's and is show car clean with 65k miles. Pic here:

However I am thinking of trading this cherry camaro for a nova. I've always wanted one since my father had one when I was a kid, and a guy my father works with has this 1972 Nova 350/350 numbers matching california car with 13,000 original miles in almost restored condition. Here is the spec sheet.

Body
1972 Chevy Nova California car
13000 actual miles
All factory glass
All factory body panels under primer
Floor pans have been replaced due to leaking front and rear windows
New poly body mounts
Repair front panel under front glass, 90% complete
Repair rear panel under rear glass, 90% complete
New door pin kit installed
Interior
Factory interior no upgrades
Recovered rear bench seat
Recovered front bench seat
Chassis
All new steering linkage
Resealed power steering box
New ball joints
New front sway bar, upgrade
Longer front wheel studs
New poly bushings in A-frames
2 inch lowering springs
2 inch drop spindles
New front and rear Bilstein shocks
Cooling System
New water pump
Newer radiator
Rear axle
10 bolt rear end
Posi track
3:73 gear ratio
New poly bushings in rear springs
New u-joints
Exhaust
2.5 inch flow master mufflers
2.5 inch aluminized dual exhaust
Engine
Numbers matching engine
350 cubic inch engine
Standard bore
Engine completely rebuilt
Heads rebuilt by Schmidt Automotive
Competition Cam
New oil pump
Elderbrock air gap intake
New engine mounts
New ring gear
New MSD wires
New speedy sleeve on damper
Transmission
Numbers matching transmission
New front seal
New rear seal
New modulator
New filter
New transmission trick shift fluid
New transmission mount
Accessories
Factory air conditioning
Factory power steering
After market power brakes upgrade
After market front disc brakes upgrade
Extra Parts
New Goodmark 2 inch steel cowl hood
New dash pad
New Goodmark front bumper
New Goodmark rear bumper
New rear deck board
New complete body seal kit
New matching valve cover, timing cover and air cleaner

Here are the only pics I have so far.

A couple of these pics are a little out of date because the engine has been completed and is running and driving. It's not driveable currently just due to the glass and interior not being in.

I am also in contact with the guy selling this:
http://bloomington.craigslist.org/cto/3508444432.html

Now here is where I am at between the two. The primer car is going to be a lot better and worth a bit more with a little work and a little money, but the red car is done right now and doesn't NEED that much. The bad thing is it was built by someone I don't know, isn't original in any sense of the word, has a saginaw trans behind that stroker which won't last long, has manual drum brakes, no AC, broken heat, and cheap drag suspension, so it won't ride, stop, or steer as well as the primer car...but it will GO a little better.

I'm pretty set on the primer car for a lot of reasons, but would like to hear everyone's opinions on it. I'm on a limited budget(college) but labor is a non-issue. I am hoping to get a couple thousand in cash my way trading my Z28 for the primer nova(haven't seen the car in person or negotiated yet though) which can at least get it a decent paint job, I can install the glass and interior and it will be on the road.

Let me know what you think guys. I'll put a poll in the thread.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 24th-January-2013, 10:49 PM   #2
zz572

Title: Nova Guru
Nova(s): 62 Nova 400 series 2dr ht
That camaro looks sweet but to me id rather have one of the nova's and the primer one looks like it will turn out really sweet when its done and you can finish it the way you want it
Old 24th-January-2013, 11:00 PM   #3
TwitchZ28

Quote:
Originally Posted by zz572 View Post
That camaro looks sweet but to me id rather have one of the nova's and the primer one looks like it will turn out really sweet when its done and you can finish it the way you want it
I agree. I like that I can be the one to choose the color and everything.

So there is something I am curious about. Is a numbers matching 350/th350 non super sport nova really going to bring any more resale value than one that has been significantly modified assuming equal condition? Like if I rip the auto out to drop a TKO500 in there is it really going to hurt the value?

Last edited by TwitchZ28; 24th-January-2013 at 11:06 PM.
Old 24th-January-2013, 11:21 PM   #4
skinnydude

Nova(s): 1963 convertiable nova

Hi and Welcome ya its ok . skinnydude
Old 24th-January-2013, 11:32 PM   #5
TMack63nova

Nova(s): 1963 Chevy II / Nova Conv
Welcome to Steve's Nova Site!! Glad to have you here!! Seems like you have a tough choice. I would go for the primer car as you can have it painted any color you want. But it must have all the parts and pieces to finish it.

Just my !!

Old 24th-January-2013, 11:42 PM   #6
1quik69

Title: Moderator
Nova(s): 1969w/468,1972w/408,
They both look to be nice cars. It just comes down to how much work you want or don't want to put into either car.
Old 24th-January-2013, 11:49 PM   #7
TwitchZ28

For sure. I am leaning on the primer car for sure, I had just happened to come across the red one first and the temptation to get a car that's already done is large.

For anyone who missed my question above, if I get the primer car, which is a numbers matching 350/th350 non SS car(I know not that rare) and yank out the automatic(thus losing the "numbers matching" part) will it severely damage the resale value? I wouldn't guess so.
Old 24th-January-2013, 11:51 PM   #8
1quik69

Title: Moderator
Nova(s): 1969w/468,1972w/408,
Swapping the trans would be a big no no for the purists. I would just hang onto the original parts and go ahead and do what you want. After all it is your car.
Old 25th-January-2013, 12:28 AM   #9
TwitchZ28

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1quik69 View Post
Swapping the trans would be a big no no for the purists. I would just hang onto the original parts and go ahead and do what you want. After all it is your car.
What I am getting at is a purist isn't going to be buying a non-ss 350/350 car are they? Haha. I unfortunately don't have a place to store a bunch of extra parts. O well this is a small issue. I'm sure even if I ripped it all out and dropped a big block and a 5 speed in it it would bring good resale regardless of originality.
Old 25th-January-2013, 12:37 AM   #10
zz572

Nova(s): 62 Nova 400 series 2dr ht
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwitchZ28 View Post
What I am getting at is a purist isn't going to be buying a non-ss 350/350 car are they? Haha. I unfortunately don't have a place to store a bunch of extra parts. O well this is a small issue. I'm sure even if I ripped it all out and dropped a big block and a 5 speed in it it would bring good resale regardless of originality.
I would agree with you there but it all depends on what a person is looking for I look at it this way its your car do what you want with it who cares what others think about what you did. As long as you get out and enjoy the car that to me is worth more than money all day long
Old 25th-January-2013, 01:21 AM   #11
TwitchZ28

Quote:
I would agree with you there but it all depends on what a person is looking for I look at it this way its your car do what you want with it who cares what others think about what you did. As long as you get out and enjoy the car that to me is worth more than money all day long
Very true man. I think I found the color scheme I want. It's a photoshopped image I found in a thread here on the side but you get the jist of the scheme. All black, emblems removed, torque thrust wheels. Very angry look but also so so clean. The exception would be a 2" cowl instead of the one in the picture.

Old 25th-January-2013, 07:37 PM   #12
VONZ72

Nova(s): 1972 350
I WOULD GO FOR THE NOVA! BUT, I LOVE NOVAS! DO YOU HAVE SOMETHING ELSE TO DRIVE WHILE WORKING ON THE NOVA?
Old 25th-January-2013, 08:02 PM   #13
TwitchZ28

Quote:
Originally Posted by VONZ72 View Post
I WOULD GO FOR THE NOVA! BUT, I LOVE NOVAS! DO YOU HAVE SOMETHING ELSE TO DRIVE WHILE WORKING ON THE NOVA?
Yes sir, I've got a chevy pickup I DD. The camaro is a weekend toy. Nova would be as well.
Old 25th-January-2013, 08:03 PM   #14
TwitchZ28

So just curious. Those who chose to get the Red car...what's your thought process that led you to that decision?
Old 25th-January-2013, 09:42 PM   #15
rebob

Nova(s): 63 no post
Quote:
I agree ! Mine was a three on the tree six but that's not what I wanted . It now has an LS 2 and a 6 speed. The only thing original on mine now is the outside tin and I love every minute I drive it. I like the dark evil look.
Rick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement