What to look for in a junkyard LQ9?? - Chevy Nova Forum
Visit our sponsor, National Nostalgic Nova

Steve's Nova Site is an automotive enthusiast website dedicated to the 1962 - 1979 Chevrolet Nova, Chevy II and Acadian automobiles. We work together to preserve, restore, drive, show, race and provide fellowship for these classic cars. This is one of the best places to find information about parts, rebuilding, restoration and racing. This website is not affiliated with GM, General Motors or Chevrolet in any capacity.

Go Back   Chevy Nova Forum > Body, Chassis and Mechanical > Drivetrain & Performance > LSx Forum

StevesNovaSite.com is the premier Chevrolet Nova Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 19th-January-2013, 01:50 PM   #1
spcoveny

Title: Nova Junior Member
Nova(s): 1966 chevy II
What to look for in a junkyard LQ9??

So recently i started throwing around the idea of building an LS motor for my '66. So i did some research and it seems that the more budget friendly way to go for a N/A motor was to find a LQ9.

What are some things i should be looking for when i go to a junkyard and try and pick one out? I want to make sure i'm getting a motor that will hopefully not require machine work. What year and model should i be looking for? What is a reasonable price for one? Basically any advice for junkyard hunting of these motors you have is much appreciated! I should mention that i am considering using the new Atomic LS kit from MSD to simplify everything.

I have heard that it doesnt take much to make these motors make some pretty nice power! What would it require to take a stock LQ9 and make 425+HP? What kind of parts, machine work and money are we talking?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 19th-January-2013, 02:13 PM   #2
Nova 404

Title: Supporting Vendor
Nova(s): 1967 Nova SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by spcoveny View Post
So recently i started throwing around the idea of building an LS motor for my '66. So i did some research and it seems that the more budget friendly way to go for a N/A motor was to find a LQ9.

What are some things i should be looking for when i go to a junkyard and try and pick one out? I want to make sure i'm getting a motor that will hopefully not require machine work. What year and model should i be looking for? What is a reasonable price for one? Basically any advice for junkyard hunting of these motors you have is much appreciated! I should mention that i am considering using the new Atomic LS kit from MSD to simplify everything.

I have heard that it doesnt take much to make these motors make some pretty nice power! What would it require to take a stock LQ9 and make 425+HP? What kind of parts, machine work and money are we talking?
I believe all LQ9s are the same,Stay away from anything with DOD or variable vavle timing.Nothing burned,look for water intrusion from poor storing,pull valve covers to see how dirty it is inside.Unless it has a vin attached to it its impossible to tell the difference between LQ4 vs LQ9.Only differnece is rods and flat top pistons.If you decide to go DBW get the ECM,Throttle contol and gas pedal from your doner car.Another thing is Fbody(98-02) camaro accessories fit the early cars the cleanest.

I would think you could use fastory EFI for less cash than the MSD setup,also hard to beat the quality of OEM
Old 19th-January-2013, 04:19 PM   #3
spcoveny

Is there a way to tell by looking at the motor if it has DOD or variable valve timing? I know very little about these motors so sorry for stupid questions! How difficult is it to sort out the factory harness? I like the idea of the MSD kit because it is clean, looks simple to install and I don't have to say a shop to tune it all for me! Just a thought for now. I'm not dead set on that kit if I become more comfortable with the idea of figuring out the wiring myself
Old 19th-January-2013, 04:34 PM   #4
Nova 404

Timing cover is flat on non variable timing,has a large bump on the front if its VVT.DOD had a different valley cover that you cant really see with the engine together.True LQ9 may not have these but if your looking at wreckers study up because there are many variations of the LS family.LQ9 is an iron block.I looked fora long time and people will tell you anything to make a sale.
Old 19th-January-2013, 06:44 PM   #5
spcoveny

So what does it take to make one of these motors make 425+ HP? I mean are we talking machine work being needed or just bolt on's and a tune? What are we talking money wise?
Old 19th-January-2013, 09:36 PM   #6
sevans327

Nova(s): 1965 nova ss
just throw a decent cam and springs in it and you will easily make 425hp look at an ls2 not a great cam and they make 400hp tuned and they make more than that. Thats the thing that is cool about these motors horsepower is easy to attain.

Shawn
Old 19th-January-2013, 09:57 PM   #7
Toxic

Title: Nova Senior Member
Nova(s): 67 Nova, 69 Camaro Conv
LQ9's are getting really hard to find. Ls1 and LQ4 are around
Old 19th-January-2013, 10:44 PM   #8
spcoveny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic View Post
LQ9's are getting really hard to find. Ls1 and LQ4 are around
I actually just read a couple articles where they made some pretty nice power out of a lq4 with just a tune and a Hot Cam. I'm actually probably getting ahead of myself with the HP talk. What does it actually take to swap one of these into my car. If the motor is in stock form, what else do need to buy to get the motor in and drivable. Cost?
Old 19th-January-2013, 11:16 PM   #9
Nova 404

You should not have asked that question Its expencive no matter how you do it.Do you plan to run your current trans? Carb? EFI?Stock front end or aftermarket front clip?So many variables we need more information on what your plans are.I have 2K invested in my headers and intake plus almost 1k in the EFI tank/pump combo.Money can be saved depending on what you can do your self and how pickey you are.
Old 20th-January-2013, 12:13 AM   #10
spcoveny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova 404 View Post
You should not have asked that question Its expencive no matter how you do it.Do you plan to run your current trans? Carb? EFI?Stock front end or aftermarket front clip?So many variables we need more information on what your plans are.I have 2K invested in my headers and intake plus almost 1k in the EFI tank/pump combo.Money can be saved depending on what you can do your self and how pickey you are.
well i have the CBR rack kit installed with the lower control arms. Will at some point do the uppers. Currently have a TH350 trans but want to get a 700r4 most likely. And i would like to keep the motor fuel injected.
Old 20th-January-2013, 08:58 AM   #11
charley7

Title: Nova Guru
Nova(s): 1966 2dr hardtop Ls 6.0L
What to look for in a junkyard LQ9??

I'm in the middle of just a stock LQ4 swap. I'm keeping truck accessories and intake. It is not cheap even to do that. Everything seems to be a 1000$ at a time. But oh it's gonna be worth it in the end.
Old 20th-January-2013, 09:07 AM   #12
69bigblock

Title: Nova Guru
Nova(s): 1969 nova
My friend owns a salvage yard and they run the engines (if they can) to check everything out. Thats one thing you might look into at the yards in your area..
Old 20th-January-2013, 11:11 AM   #13
Nova 404

Quote:
Originally Posted by spcoveny View Post
well i have the CBR rack kit installed with the lower control arms. Will at some point do the uppers. Currently have a TH350 trans but want to get a 700r4 most likely. And i would like to keep the motor fuel injected.
700R is not a good choice for an EFI LSx swap.The 700R has a TV cable that has to function perfectly as desinged or the trans will burn itself up.Currently there are no provisions on any of the factory EFI to attach this cable.The 4L60E-4L65E-4L70E are the correct computer controled tranys for the LSx family.The ECM will control these with no added components.Here is the kicker even used in our area they want almost 1K for a trans with a lot of miles on them.Like Charley said nothing LSx is cheap.I am also in the middle of an LQ4/4L65E swap in my 67 and its amazing how quick things add up.I have driven a few various LSx powerd 1st and 2nd gen Novas and all I can say is it will be worth it in the long run
Old 20th-January-2013, 11:31 AM   #14
scott costa

Title: Nova Senior Member
Nova(s): '66 SS,64 hardtop
Bowtie Overdrives has a TV cable kit. If I were choosing a transmission, I would choose a 4L65E, I have a 2004R in my '64 and don't like the shift characteristics. I would imagine the 700R4 would be similar. An electronic trans. is fully tunable without dropping the oil pan.
Old 20th-January-2013, 09:24 PM   #15
spcoveny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova 404 View Post
700R is not a good choice for an EFI LSx swap.The 700R has a TV cable that has to function perfectly as desinged or the trans will burn itself up.Currently there are no provisions on any of the factory EFI to attach this cable.The 4L60E-4L65E-4L70E are the correct computer controled tranys for the LSx family.The ECM will control these with no added components.Here is the kicker even used in our area they want almost 1K for a trans with a lot of miles on them.Like Charley said nothing LSx is cheap.I am also in the middle of an LQ4/4L65E swap in my 67 and its amazing how quick things add up.I have driven a few various LSx powerd 1st and 2nd gen Novas and all I can say is it will be worth it in the long run
Good to know! I wasnt sure if the 4LxxE transmissions required floor alterations or how easy they were to swap. CarCraft did a budget build on a LQ4 and claimed 480 HP for $3775. From what im hearing i dont think that is too realistic when you are try to swap that motor into an old nova. http://www.carcraft.com/projectbuild...k/viewall.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
1966, horse power, lq9, lsx