Subwoofers and Amp Question - Chevy Nova Forum
Visit our sponsor, National Nostalgic Nova

Steve's Nova Site is an automotive enthusiast website dedicated to the 1962 - 1979 Chevrolet Nova, Chevy II and Acadian automobiles. We work together to preserve, restore, drive, show, race and provide fellowship for these classic cars. This is one of the best places to find information about parts, rebuilding, restoration and racing. This website is not affiliated with GM, General Motors or Chevrolet in any capacity.

Go Back   Chevy Nova Forum > Body, Chassis and Mechanical > Electrical

StevesNovaSite.com is the premier Chevrolet Nova Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 14th-January-2013, 12:11 AM   #1
Notorious71NSS

Title: Nova Newbie
Nova(s): 1971 Chevy Nova
Subwoofers and Amp Question

I have to 12in jbl subwoofers in a box. Is it alright to combine them with a MTX amp or are you not supposed to mix them? The amp is a TNA251 Monoblock amplifier. Any help that would be great, thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 14th-January-2013, 12:37 AM   #2
66KRUZER

Title: Nova Junior Member
Nova(s): 1966 chevy II 2 dr sedan
If I understand your question, it's totally fine to mix manufacturers of subs and amp. You do however, have to pay attention if your subs are dual voice coil and the ohm rating.
Old 14th-January-2013, 03:40 AM   #3
mobileaudiodude

Title: Nova Senior Member
Nova(s): 63 HT,62 & 66 wagons
Cool

It is perfectly acceptable to mix manufacturer equipment. Your amplifier is rated T 250 watts @ 4 ohms and 500 watts @ 2 ohms. Which is just fine for a little bump in the trunk. Making sure your subs are wired correctly is the most important thing that you will have to worry about.

SO MANY NOVAS, SO LITTLE TIME
Old 14th-January-2013, 01:45 PM   #4
Notorious71NSS

Nova(s): 1971 Chevy Nova
Thank you guys. I hook them up both positives to the positive terminal and both negatives to the negative terminal and I get all three red lights flash when I turn the amp on. Any suggestions?
Old 14th-January-2013, 01:58 PM   #5
mobileaudiodude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notorious71NSS View Post
Thank you guys. I hook them up both positives to the positive terminal and both negatives to the negative terminal and I get all three red lights flash when I turn the amp on. Any suggestions?
It sounds like your amp is going into protection mode. Which could mean that your impedance is too low for your amplifier. You need to know the impedance (ohms rating) of the subs. If you have access to a multimeter, you can check the ohm load of the speakers. I you have the model number of the subs you should be able to get the specs on line. If not, take one out of the enclosure and look on the back. It would most likely read 4 ohms or 2 ohms for each speaker. Once you determine the impedance (ohms) you can determine how to wire them to your amp. If they are dual voice coil the wiring gets a little trickier bit not too bad.

Last edited by mobileaudiodude; 14th-January-2013 at 02:02 PM.
Old 25th-January-2013, 12:10 AM   #6
KingDave

Nova(s): 1969 2 DR
Subwoofers and Amp Question

Well said mobileaudiodude! Yes def find out the specs on the subs. I had the same issue with my JL500/5 and a set of W3v2's I had to swap them out w diff impedance values with the setup I had.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 25th-January-2013, 10:25 AM   #7
Pandora's Box

Title: Nova Guru
Nova(s): 67 Nova Wagon 408"/700R4
Here's my subwoofer combo............................................. ...........

Old 25th-January-2013, 10:32 AM   #8
1972novafever

Nova(s): 72 rally nova 355/4speed
^^^^^^I have those same subs they sound awesome there the best on the market.............
Old 25th-January-2013, 12:09 PM   #9
Rich74custom

Nova(s): 74 Nova Custom
http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/rftec...izard_form.asp

This calculator will help you figure things out.
Old 25th-January-2013, 12:53 PM   #10
NovaN00B

Nova(s): 69 Nova
Re: Subwoofers and Amp Question

Quote:
It could be that your box is pre wired in bridged mode already. I've been out of the audio game for a while and recently put 2 10s already in a box with an mtx amp in my nova. I had similar issues when hooking the speakers up. Come to find out the box was wired up to bridge the subs already.

What does the amp do when you turn it on with no speakers hooked up? How about just one?

Sent from my SGH-T999 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

Old 25th-January-2013, 01:11 PM   #11
Rich74custom

Nova(s): 74 Nova Custom
bridged is the amp.

Series and Parallel are the sub wiring. Figure out what quantity VC and ohm of each and the calculator will tell you all the different ways to hook it up to your Amp. and by your amps capability you will choose the correct way. Some times there is more than one way to wire them to the amp.

Really depends on how much Akon and Lil john you plan on impressing the girls at the local malls with.

Just because an amp is 1 ohm or 2 ohm capable doesnt mean you need to wire it that way. You can cause damage to the subs and amp if you are too hard on them down that low. Stay 2 to 4ohm and you should be fine.
Old 25th-January-2013, 02:20 PM   #12
mobileaudiodude

Just as a quick test, connect the positive from your left woofer to the negative of the right one. Then connect the two remaining wires to your amp. That will lower your impedance load on your amplifier and it should play fine. If it sounds weird, then your woofers may be out of phase. In that case, connect the left woofer positive to the right woofer positive and connect the two remaining wires to your amp and see how that works.

Old 26th-January-2013, 01:05 AM   #13
66KRUZER

Title: Nova Junior Member
Nova(s): 1966 chevy II 2 dr sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandora's Box View Post
Here's my subwoofer combo............................................. ...........

LOL...well played!

Quote:
to start, double check your connections: power (hope you have a fuse near the battery), ground, and remote wires. next pull out a sub and make sure the wire from the subs to the terminals on the box are correct (+ to + and - to -) for each sub. i've seen people get them hooked up backwards. then make sure the wires aren't twisted or anything and the the + and - from the box terminals to the amp or correct. don't "bridge" them...keep things simple to start.

on the back of the sub, is there one pair or two pair of connections?

if you're not happy with the bump you're getting, hook up both neg (from box) to the left neg (on amp) and the positive (from box) to the right positive (on amp). this is the most typical way of "bridging". of course, after checking that both the sub and amp manf. to make sure your equip can handle it...not all can.
Advertisement