really considering this 74 - Chevy Nova Forum
Visit our sponsor, National Nostalgic Nova

Steve's Nova Site is an automotive enthusiast website dedicated to the 1962 - 1979 Chevrolet Nova, Chevy II and Acadian automobiles. We work together to preserve, restore, drive, show, race and provide fellowship for these classic cars. This is one of the best places to find information about parts, rebuilding, restoration and racing. This website is not affiliated with GM, General Motors or Chevrolet in any capacity.

Go Back   Chevy Nova Forum > General > Ebay, etc. Discussion

StevesNovaSite.com is the premier Chevrolet Nova Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 31st-December-2012, 11:15 AM   #1
Bill74ss

Title: Nova Guru
Nova(s): 1974 custom
really considering this 74

http://dayton.craigslist.org/cto/3508926927.html

I am thinking about looking at this tomorrow. The body looks rust free (from the right side at least). If everything checks out, what kind of money would you spend on it? It says obo, but the 5 G asking price seems about right to me. my only concern is it looks like it's missing the glove compartment door.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 31st-December-2012, 11:21 AM   #2
tmoore79

Rust free in Dayton?? Come on! You are dreaming. Well, maybe it is a military transplant car. I like the car. Offer him $3500 and go from there. Maybe get it for $4200? That's a deal for original 4spd SS.
Old 31st-December-2012, 12:25 PM   #3
Bill74ss

Gave the guy a call. Says he has too many projects (67 nova, and a 71 and 70) and this needs to go. said the good is that the gauges all work including the ones in the console, has a factory dash tach, comes with an extra rear bumper and that the motor has been rebuilt within the last few years. Doors line up and everything and he says the floorpans are solid. the bad is that the truck has a patch where the tire goes (hatchbacks never held out water good anyway), it was an ac car, but not anymore and he has the heater box off, but the box is a non ac box. the glove box door is there, but it needs a latch, and the rear bumper is rusted out on the inside and he said something about angle iron on it but I'm not sure what he meant by that. The paint is faded and might buff out a bit, but would do with a new paint job eventually. He's not sure if there is bondo, but the body looks straight with no rust showing he says.

If all checks out and it runs and goes through the gears fine, I think I'll offer $4500 and go from there. Apart from the paint, everything else doesn't seem too big a deal and wouldn't take much to make nice. They guy sounded pretty honest about everything. He doesn't know his schedule tomorrow, but hopefully I'll be able to take a look at it then.

Oh, and forgot to ask if it's a true ss or not, but I'm not too concerned about that anyway.
Old 31st-December-2012, 01:37 PM   #4
tmoore79

Take a magnet with you to look for bondo.
Old 1st-January-2013, 05:42 PM   #5
asteeler4life

Nova(s): 1962 'VERT 1966 SS
I'D GO $3500 TOO! IF IT IS WHAT HE SAYS IT IS, PLUS WHAT I SEE, HE'LL GO FOR IT!
GO WITH CASH IN HAND PLUS THE MAGNET!

62INLINE 6 GROUP
66 NOVA SS COUPE INC.
Old 1st-January-2013, 05:51 PM   #6
Branded

Nova(s): 67 Nova SS Marina blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmoore79 View Post
Rust free in Dayton?? Come on! You are dreaming.
I bought my 67 SS out of Hamilton Oh which is 50 miles from Dayton and it was 100% rust free. They are out there, even in the rust belt.
Old 1st-January-2013, 05:55 PM   #7
a-z racing 1

Title: Nova Senior Member
Nova(s): 1963 Nova SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by asteeler4life View Post
I'D GO $3500 TOO! IF IT IS WHAT HE SAYS IT IS, PLUS WHAT I SEE, HE'LL GO FOR IT!
GO WITH CASH IN HAND PLUS THE MAGNET!
I agree, offer $3,500 and go up from there. If you meet in the middle you still save $250 less than what you are offering. Offer $4,500 and he will meet you at $4,750.00. You will save $500 this way and get the car for $4,250 at worst.
My deceased father in law thought me 30 years ago that if your offer doesn't insult them, you offered to high.
Show the cash!
Old 1st-January-2013, 11:07 PM   #8
Bill74ss

Took a look at it today. It ran great, but the rust issue was way deeper than I had anticipated. The hole started on the truck lid under the carpet and then into the truck floor which was covered in multiple layers of rivited sheetmetal. There was the typical bondo in the quarters too.

Aside from the rust, it would need rewired and I'm 90% sure it wasn't a real ss.

For a running project car It would be a good start for somebody, but I'd rather spend a bit more on something with less issues.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement