Preparing a car to live in hawaii? - Chevy Nova Forum
Visit our sponsor, National Nostalgic Nova

Steve's Nova Site is an automotive enthusiast website dedicated to the 1962 - 1979 Chevrolet Nova, Chevy II and Acadian automobiles. We work together to preserve, restore, drive, show, race and provide fellowship for these classic cars. This is one of the best places to find information about parts, rebuilding, restoration and racing. This website is not affiliated with GM, General Motors or Chevrolet in any capacity.

Go Back   Chevy Nova Forum > Body, Chassis and Mechanical > Body and Interior

StevesNovaSite.com is the premier Chevrolet Nova Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 30th-December-2012, 02:32 PM   #1
Nova1963T

Title: Nova Senior Member
Nova(s): 1963 Chevy Nova
Preparing a car to live in hawaii?

Hey it looks like I will be saying aloha to Hawaii in about a year. Of course my nova will come with me but something that concerns me.

Every older car I've seen on the islands has rust holes in it that appear to be coming from the inside of the panels. Like the paint appears perfect yet the cars there have holes in them... I would like to avoid this with my car. What should I do to keep her from turning into a pile of dust?

Thanks!

-Tom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 30th-December-2012, 02:53 PM   #2
nova66mussl

Title: Nova Guru
Nova(s): 66 H/T 66 Wagon 1933 Fo
Store it at my place on the east side of the mountains. I will make sure it gets plenty of exercise in the warmer months.
Old 30th-December-2012, 04:01 PM   #3
Bouncer

Nova(s): 1971 2-Door
The salty air....
We spray in every cavity and even on inner body panels wax based sealant to prevent rusting from the inside. I'm pretty sure you can get a special penetrating oil/wax too. We have a product here, based on wool wax, called Fluid Film http://www.nlsproducts.ca/ff_e.html . You can get it in different viscosity from very thin to thick. It is used to prevent rust in water ballast tanks in ships wich were flooded with salt water. Very good! Try to get it and don't think about rust any more.

Last edited by Bouncer; 30th-December-2012 at 04:06 PM.
Old 30th-December-2012, 09:02 PM   #4
1966LongRoof

Nova(s): 1966 Chevy II Wagon
Leave it in the states, buy an island clunker. Was stationed at KBay for 3 years. Not worth wasting a nice car while living in paradise.
Old 2nd-January-2013, 09:24 PM   #5
Nova1963T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouncer View Post
The salty air....
We spray in every cavity and even on inner body panels wax based sealant to prevent rusting from the inside. I'm pretty sure you can get a special penetrating oil/wax too. We have a product here, based on wool wax, called Fluid Film http://www.nlsproducts.ca/ff_e.html . You can get it in different viscosity from very thin to thick. It is used to prevent rust in water ballast tanks in ships wich were flooded with salt water. Very good! Try to get it and don't think about rust any more.
yeah I was thinking something like this. I was curious if I should just pull the door panels out the carpet and the headliner and just spray something like this or paint on every unpainted surface of the car. There are of course some places that can't be reached.

I don't really want to sell my car. It was my first car. But if it is going to be destroyed I will see if I can sell it to a family member or close friend. I will only be there for about three years while I finish getting my degree.
Old 2nd-January-2013, 11:07 PM   #6
1floho

Nova(s): 63 SS 67 CAMARO 66 vett
Went to Maui a couple of months ago, not impressed. California is much nicer. Mexico is the best.
Old 3rd-January-2013, 12:14 PM   #7
Nova1963T

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1floho View Post
Went to Maui a couple of months ago, not impressed. California is much nicer. Mexico is the best.
I've got family there so while I finish out my degree I will be able to pay in state tuition. This is why its gonna be Hawaii. Actually the school is on maui lol. I think its just gonna be a process of taking the interior of the car out and the fenders and just painting everything in reach. I will have an undercoating put on the bottom or something and fix all the leaks.

I was doing some research and it seems like the real damage happens at night when it gets colder and everything is covered in salty dew so I will just have to find a place with a garage or be religious about the car cover.
Old 3rd-January-2013, 03:10 PM   #8
Bouncer

Nova(s): 1971 2-Door
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova1963T View Post
yeah I was thinking something like this. I was curious if I should just pull the door panels out the carpet and the headliner and just spray something like this or paint on every unpainted surface of the car. There are of course some places that can't be reached.

You can pull the door panels and kick panels. I use a pistol like this http://www.ebay.de/itm/Unterbodensch...item4aafd0b412 for applying the wax. You can stick the tube up in the A-Pillar, no need to remove the headliner. As it has very good penetrating capability you don't have to reach every little spot. Applied in the lower door it will crawl up to the window channel in a couple weeks. Paint will not work. You can't reach all these spots where rust starts like where panels are doubled. Only way to stop rust there is penetrating oil/wax.

Last edited by Bouncer; 3rd-January-2013 at 03:13 PM.
Old 4th-January-2013, 08:02 PM   #9
Nova1963T

Interesting. I will definitely give that a try. Thanks for the suggestions!!

-Tom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement