Hey guys, thanks for having me. I was visiting this site for a little over 4 years now, when I bought my 1972 Chevy Nova. So I think it is time now to sign up here for at least giving back what this site gave to me in my endless journey of building up my baby.
By checking my license plate you surely noticed I`m located in Germany. Actually not a country you see Nova`s driving around the neighbourhood all day long so let me say, this site here helped me out a lot finding out stuff during the restoration process. The Nova came to me 5 out of 10 I would say. So there was definitely something to do to bring it to what I wanted it look like. It was nothing special, no matching numbers or kind of stuff. Just a simple Nova with slightly modified 350 SB, Chevy Rally Wheels and it got a new paint job by the previous owner just a couple weeks before he sold it. He painted it black.
I got the car end of summer time, so I drove it that way for the first couple month until winter. The paint looks killer on pics but sadly was not really well made. No parts removed to do it, just taped and sprayed over. Well, not the biggest problem though. I had my buddy cover the car with matt black foil and this would do it for the first year.
The main thing I wanted to keep my attention on was the wiring harness, and some minor things like new carpet and dash board. The carpet looked like it was used as bottom layer in a tiger cage or something. And the only thing that worked in the dashboard was the speedo lights. So I replaced the dashboard and entire wiring. You won`t believe the chaos the old wiring went through. There were cables sticking out that were cut and repaired like 10 times within 20” of length. And that from the front to the end of the car. In that year, with the 350 engine it run 13.8 sec at the quarter mile.
During the second winter I noticed little bubbles coming through the paint around the wheel house. What I found was 0.4” filler beneath places trying to hide something. So I removed the foil and removed the entire skin mixture consisting of 4 different paint colors and some filler. That buddy looked like it got some bad crash in it`s rear left with some poor try to fix it prior it got the black paint. I cut the entire panel out and built a new one in.
Back when I added the new carpet, I noticed that someone must have welded around on the floor pan too, so I checked that again in detail now when the entire car was built apart anyway.
What I found there was 3 (!) driver side floor pans welded on top of each other. Seems like two times someone did not had the time to cut the old one out first but just added a newer one to it. The trunk and some other spots got rust holes and were in a bad condition too so I decided to cut everything out just leaving the part left that sits under the rear bench.
Added a new trunk floor, passenger and driver floor and parts of the tunnel. Then covered it with sound deadener matt.
The next year I had the car up for a new paint job and decided to go for a shiny black-grey.
Now when everything was brand new I HAD to do the engine bay too. I threw out the engine and bought a 383 stroker block from my buddy. I just added new heads, intake and a 750 Holley DB. Powder coating the wheel house and cleaning/painting the fire wall.
Some other things were made too. Actually too much to list but I will try my best to name a few things that came to mind: HiJackers, new breaks, sway bar at front, oil cooler, stainless steel break lines, battery to the rear, new hood hinges, Ansen Sprint wheels on the daylies and Weld wheels for my race set up, B&M shifter, electric fan, electric fuel pump, electric water pump, sub frame connector, 2.5” exhaust x pipe, superior rear axle, two air fuel ratio sensors and gauges, front spoiler, new seals (doors, trunk, lights, windows), 3.55:1 rear, poly bushings, new window frame moldings, stinger hood, aluminum radiator, MSD Hei distributor, Dynomax muffler, new hooker headers, new springs in front and rear, gas tank powder coated, new windshield (old one got damaged when removed at the paint shop), added Autometer gauges for water temp, oil press etc. 2 new kick panel with loudspeakers and so much more… 12.8 sec was the best that year.
This year I threw out that 383 engine and built up a brand new 427 Dart SHP stroker. Added the old Edelbrock Victor Jr heads and intake (I had port matched and painted them), ultra pro magnum roller rocker, Comp endure x mechanical lifter, Comp forged roller cam and added a 2” tapered spacer.
Upgraded to a TH350 TCI streetfighter and aluminum drive shaft.
That combo made a low 11 sec at the quarter mile. After that I threw in a new MSD system, swapped out the standard Holley main body with a HP version and some other things here and there.
The car runs best with 100 octane and is a KILLER street car that would not hide the race track. Oh and I noticed most of the pics show the race seats in there. Currently I do have the bench in again. Since most on the car is brand new, I like that "nostalgic" bench thing with it. It`s still the original one and I will have it leathered up this winter.
I have many more pics up on my hard drive so I can upload them by chance. However, here are some of the newest pics. Hope you enjoy. Thanks.