Traction problems - Chevy Nova Forum
Visit our sponsor, National Nostalgic Nova

Steve's Nova Site is an automotive enthusiast website dedicated to the 1962 - 1979 Chevrolet Nova, Chevy II and Acadian automobiles. We work together to preserve, restore, drive, show, race and provide fellowship for these classic cars. This is one of the best places to find information about parts, rebuilding, restoration and racing. This website is not affiliated with GM, General Motors or Chevrolet in any capacity.

Go Back   Chevy Nova Forum > General > Drag Racing Forum

StevesNovaSite.com is the premier Chevrolet Nova Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 9th-December-2012, 12:38 PM   #1
ZNova

Title: Nova Guru
Nova(s): 67 383/200-4R
Traction problems

Went to the Mooneyes show at Irwindale expecting to get lots of runs and do some tuning. The day started late due to fog and it took some time to dry the track. It got worse from there. I only got 2 runs in due to oil downs and crashes. Everybody invloved was OK, but conditions were not ideal. On both runs the tires broke loose as soon as the converter flashed (about 3400 rpm). 60 foot times were 1.95 and 2.45 (I am normally at 1.6 to 1.7). The only diff was a longer burnout on the second run and rear shocks were set 2 clicks softer (from 3 to 1). On the second run the tires chattered after breaking loose and I had to back way off to get any traction. I know track conditions were bad but lots of cars were pulling the front wheels, so it was possible to hook. I have 255/60-15 MT radials running 18 psi, Caltracs set on the lower hole, about 1/4 turn of preload, Rancho shocks set at 3 then 1, Split leaf monos, Moroso trick springs and Calvert 90/10 up front, with about 5" of travel. Do I need to go the upper hole on the Caltracs? Any other suggestions?

Run 1

Run 2

They will run and not grow weary. Isaiah 40:31

Last edited by ZNova; 9th-December-2012 at 12:44 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 9th-December-2012, 01:54 PM   #2
fasteddie

Nova(s): 1968
I belive you went the wrong way on the shocks. By going to the higher numbers (tighter) it keeps the rear tire planted on the ground.

click here for my nova pics
Old 9th-December-2012, 02:13 PM   #3
firstnova2

Nova(s): 65
Bob did you look at Andys video I posted the link in the southwest section. There is a shot of your launch in there. I really heated my tires yesterday. I tend to overheat them and dint have issues. Maybe a longer burnout would help.
Old 9th-December-2012, 02:37 PM   #4
Ryan V64SS

Nova(s): 64 SS, 63 Sedan
I have always believed that going to a looser shock setting as the track goes away is the correct direction to go. It allows the rear end to get planted into the ground easier which is what you want on a loose or slippery track. You can tighten them up as the track is better to keep the separation to a minimum and get the car going forward instead of up. Not sure if that is your issue since you went looser and it still didn't work my only question is how old are your tires?

I should point out that my experience is with slapper bars not Caltracs, so I may be off base here.
Old 9th-December-2012, 10:04 PM   #5
bowtie0069

Nova(s): 69
I have QA-1's, and dead soft is the only thing that works for me.
Old 9th-December-2012, 10:44 PM   #6
fasteddie

Nova(s): 1968
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan V64SS View Post
I have always believed that going to a looser shock setting as the track goes away is the correct direction to go. It allows the rear end to get planted into the ground easier which is what you want on a loose or slippery track. You can tighten them up as the track is better to keep the separation to a minimum and get the car going forward instead of up. Not sure if that is your issue since you went looser and it still didn't work my only question is how old are your tires?

I should point out that my experience is with slapper bars not Caltracs, so I may be off base here.
My car responds the opposite Ryan, as the track goes away I have to tighten up the rear shocks to keep the car hooking! I went 1.42 foot braking with my shocks at 9!

click here for my nova pics
Old 9th-December-2012, 10:55 PM   #7
The Big Al

Nova(s): 68ss, 70ss (SOLD)
Seeing other cars with slicks or lower weight, horsepower or torque pulling the wheels is not a gauge.

DRAG RADIALS are the worst, and videos of the days events show the track to be hideous.

You need a set of slicks, on wheels swap them at the track and live happy.

Irwindale can learn a thing or too about track prep and clean up.

You race in hideous conditions even when conditions are good.

Remember, 1inch at starting line is 60ft at the finish line!

IMHO
Al

“The bitterness of poor quality & Service remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”
Old 9th-December-2012, 10:58 PM   #8
just chevy

Title: Readers Club
traction

Just gos to show not all car r the same
Old 9th-December-2012, 11:07 PM   #9
Ryan V64SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Al View Post
Seeing other cars with slicks or lower weight, horsepower or torque pulling the wheels is not a gauge.

DRAG RADIALS are the worst, and videos of the days events show the track to be hideous.

You need a set of slicks, on wheels swap them at the track and live happy.

Irwindale can learn a thing or too about track prep and clean up.

You race in hideous conditions even when conditions are good.

Remember, 1inch at starting line is 60ft at the finish line!

IMHO
Al
Respectfully, you need to tell that to the guys putting 2200 hp down on 275 radials going low 7's at 3500#. You can say they race on highly prepped tracks but Thats not always the case and they still find a way to get it done. Putting slicks on will work but its a bandaid fix and If Bob? Is like me he likes to drive to the track and race on the same tires. No extra set of rims and tires, no floor jack, no jackstands, no racegas, no BS.
Old 10th-December-2012, 11:31 AM   #10
ZNova

Quote:
If Bob Is like me he likes to drive to the track and race on the same tires. No extra set of rims and tires, no floor jack, no jackstands, no racegas, no BS.

Ryan, I agree and yes I do prefer to drive to the track, let some air out and run it. I have considered to going to ET Streets, but would rather figure out how to hook with radials and keep things simple. If I had been able to make another run I would have tried going to a stiffer setting on the shock, but never got the chance. At any rate I will go the upper hole on the Caltracs and see what happens. Thanks for all the feedback.

Old 10th-December-2012, 11:55 AM   #11
bowtie0069

Nova(s): 69
Didn't you have it working fairly consistent before Bob?
The track was pretty bad with all the leakers running this weekend. The right lane was worse, but there were plenty of loose cars in both lanes. Some cars were dragging water to the line, while others were leaving fluid trails everywhere--not a good day for evaluating your setup. Connie walked the track after Matt wadded up Gary's Camaro and saw an oil puddle from a previous cars pass, which may have been the cause.

Your day could have been worse!
Old 10th-December-2012, 12:52 PM   #12
ZNova

Ya it was working my last time out (September) but I was down on power. I corrected a couple of issues, could feel a big difference driving it on the street, and was looking to get back to my typical numbers this weekend. Didn't happen. With more power and poor track conditions my weak link is again traction. As Ryan said, there are many cars making much more power than me and they hook on radials. My MTs have only about 50 runs, so they should be good. I need to do some suspension tuning.

Old 10th-December-2012, 01:21 PM   #13
Ryan V64SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZNova View Post
Ya it was working my last time out (September) but I was down on power. I corrected a couple of issues, could feel a big difference driving it on the street, and was looking to get back to my typical numbers this weekend. Didn't happen. With more power and poor track conditions my weak link is again traction. As Ryan said, there are many cars making much more power than me and they hook on radials. My MTs have only about 50 runs, so they should be good. I need to do some suspension tuning.
How old are they in years? They can dry out and are useless after about 3 years from my experience.
Old 10th-December-2012, 01:51 PM   #14
mj40's

Nova(s): 1962 Chevy II / Nova Conv
Traction Problem

I have been having the same problem on my daily non-Nova.

Old 10th-December-2012, 03:46 PM   #15
ZNova

Quote:
How old are they in years? They can dry out and are useless after about 3 years from my experience.
I got them about one year ago. I have about 3000 miles on them and have another set of tires I swap out if I know I won't be going to the track for a few weeks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement