Worth more as an automatic or a 4 speed...? - Chevy Nova Forum
Visit our sponsor, National Nostalgic Nova

Steve's Nova Site is an automotive enthusiast website dedicated to the 1962 - 1979 Chevrolet Nova, Chevy II and Acadian automobiles. We work together to preserve, restore, drive, show, race and provide fellowship for these classic cars. This is one of the best places to find information about parts, rebuilding, restoration and racing. This website is not affiliated with GM, General Motors or Chevrolet in any capacity.

Go Back   Chevy Nova Forum > Non-Technical > 3rd Generation Chevy II/Nova's

StevesNovaSite.com is the premier Chevrolet Nova Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
View Poll Results: Automatic or 4 Speed...?
Automatic 17 28.81%
4 Speed 42 71.19%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Old 24th-November-2012, 07:38 AM   #1
okeesignguy

Title: Nova Senior Member
Nova(s): 72 SS Clone
Worth more as an automatic or a 4 speed...?

I am prepping for a 4 speed conversion...
I do not plan on keeping this car too long...maybe another year...maybe two...
It is not a true SS...it is a clone...

It is a fresh 355 with alum heads and intake with rollers etc...NOT a race car and never will be raced as long as I own it but a real nice little street engine with about 400 HP...

So.....which way is easier to sell and/or will bring more money...?
Auto or 4 speed....??????

Here are some pics...I don't know why they are needed here but I know we all like to see pics! LOL

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by okeesignguy; 24th-November-2012 at 07:44 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 24th-November-2012, 08:14 AM   #2
sbc1320

Title: Nova Guru
Nova(s): Working on it
I think the money will be about the same with more people being able to drive the automatic.
70 Nova 350 Sold
71 Nova 350 Sold
Old 24th-November-2012, 09:26 AM   #3
okeesignguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbc1320 View Post
I think the money will be about the same with more people being able to drive the automatic.
Thanx man....I would love to hear others comments as well....
Old 24th-November-2012, 10:32 AM   #4
taz3

Title: Moderator
Nova(s): 2 69 SS BB L78's & 69 4dr
It could go either way, typically 4 speeds will sell first if they're original, but if it's an not original the automatic may sell easier, also attracting a large buy audience. If you want to make a change, I would vote for a 700r4, this will increase the drivability and be more beneficial, but might be more $ if you don't have all the parts.

Old 24th-November-2012, 10:33 AM   #5
novasscnc

Title: Nova Junior Member
Nova(s): 1969 L78
4 spd

I would put in how it came from the factory, nice car
Old 24th-November-2012, 01:18 PM   #6
RPM Nova

Nova(s): 71 Nova 350ci/TH350 2dr
I voted automatic, because you mentioned that you are "prepping for a 4-speed conversion" (in other words, I'm assuming the car is still an auto).

I think you'd probably end up getting about the same amount of money for the car with either trans, so I don't think you'd recover the costs associated with buying the parts to do a complete manual conversion. Therefore, total money recovered on the car would likely be higher if you don't spend the extra cash to convert it. But if you already have the parts, and plan to do all the labor yourself, then it really doesn't matter I guess.

Normally I would say to just pick whatever trans type YOU like best and go with that, but since you don't plan to keep it much longer then it's probably not worth the effort to make major changes that are just a matter of preference and don't actually improve the quality/condition of the car.

The car looks fantastic BTW.
Old 24th-November-2012, 09:49 PM   #7
Jim383

Nova(s): I help with my nephew's63 sport coupe
Double edged sword here, I'd prefer the stick car but I'd be leery of it being thrashed. If the car has no trans an overdrive auto or stick would be a selling point.
Old 24th-November-2012, 10:15 PM   #8
mud.man.rj

Title: Nova Junior Member
Nova(s): 1967 Acadian coupe
aoto or 4spd. Hmm.

I like a 4spd better in a car, if it came with it but wouldn't convert to one, would go as mentioned with a 4 spd auto. Easy upgrade and better 1st gear and a 4th to top it off, win win.
Old 25th-November-2012, 08:35 AM   #9
okeesignguy

First of all thank you for your responses and opinions as well as the compliments

The point for the change is that I feel like I never should have bought an automatic....I find them boring to drive...
I really liked the car and I thought that I could get past it but it is killing to drive it as it bores me to death and feels like a "ladies car"....

As far as originality goes....that is out the window as being a clone, that is pretty much a non issue...I have no clue what it was originally...

I usually don't keep a car more than a year or so and I am going to own this at least one more year, maybe two...(I have already had it about a year)...
I got the trany for free from my brother as well as the flywheel...
Combine that with the few hundred bucks that I can sell the freshly rebuilt auto for and I can do the swap for a few hundred bucks...

To me that is worth it just for the added driving enjoyment for as long as I will own the car....but I was wondering which way might bring more or be easier to sell later....

Again....thanx to all!
Old 25th-November-2012, 09:26 AM   #10
sbc1320

A well built engine with a 3500 to 4000 stall and automatic is just as much fun as any standard. I shift my auto when I feel the need to play around.

Back in the day I ran 4 speeds and switched one over from auto to standard. Now days I can cruise to work with my coffee in my hand, but can shift it on the way home if need be.

Dr Jekyll and Mr. Hyde.
70 Nova 350 Sold
71 Nova 350 Sold
Old 25th-November-2012, 09:44 AM   #11
okeesignguy

Well...so far it is about 2 to 1...4 speed

BTW...I will NEVER, EVER see "shifting" an auto as much fun as REAL shifting which requires a clutch as well as footwork and revving that engine...now THAT's fun!

It always cracks me up when guys mention how fun "shifting" is with their paddle shifters! LOL What a joke! They have somehow managed to convince some people that they are actually shifting with those cute little paddles ! awe....

Last edited by XINLOI44; 25th-November-2012 at 11:32 AM. Reason: CLEANED
Old 25th-November-2012, 02:39 PM   #12
RPM Nova

Nova(s): 71 Nova 350ci/TH350 2dr
Mine was originally a manual, now it's an auto and I would NEVER want to change it back to stock. It's all a matter of opinion though. I can't understand for the life of me how anyone can see clutch operation as "fun"; to me, it's annoying and drains enjoyment from the experience. Shifting, however, can certainly be fun and can be done just fine with a ratchet-shifted auto (my preferred option). And then when you just want to cruise, you can pop it in drive and forget it. Best possibile option, for me.

I live 1 mile away from one of the largest cities in the country. We have stop lights every 1/8 mile or so, tons of traffic at all hours, and straight flat roads. This is excellent territory for an auto car. The constant shifting/clutch operation under these conditions gets old real fast IMO. But I might feel different if I lived out in the country or in the mountains or something.
Old 25th-November-2012, 02:52 PM   #13
taz3

Title: Moderator
Nova(s): 2 69 SS BB L78's & 69 4dr
Personally, I'm like you and love my manual cars, even my DD is a stick car. I find auto more to the dull side too, stall converters make the cars feel like the tranny is slipping under normal driving conditions IMO, but on the track I think auto is the way to go for consistency though. As mentioned earlier, it's a double edge sword, folks seem to be split as to what they prefer for a cruiser.

I prefer a stick car all day long, so if you don't mind doing the work change it over, I'd also bet, you might even keep the car longer.

If you're going to sell it don't bother doing the change, you'll get more money for the car as an auto and selling the M20 separately, then the stick car and spare auto tranny IMO.

Old 25th-November-2012, 04:23 PM   #14
sbc1320

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM Nova View Post
Mine was originally a manual, now it's an auto and I would NEVER want to change it back to stock. It's all a matter of opinion though. I can't understand for the life of me how anyone can see clutch operation as "fun"; to me, it's annoying and drains enjoyment from the experience. Shifting, however, can certainly be fun and can be done just fine with a ratchet-shifted auto (my preferred option). And then when you just want to cruise, you can pop it in drive and forget it. Best possibile option, for me.
You got it, ratchet shifter. Gotta have some motor to go with it though.
70 Nova 350 Sold
71 Nova 350 Sold
Old 25th-November-2012, 06:23 PM   #15
Chris G

Title: Nova Newbie
Nova(s): 1964
I've bought and sold a bunch of cars over the years, 4 spds always sell better ............

jmo

Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement