Pop Out Quarter Windows - Chevy Nova Forum
Visit our sponsor, National Nostalgic Nova

Steve's Nova Site is an automotive enthusiast website dedicated to the 1962 - 1979 Chevrolet Nova, Chevy II and Acadian automobiles. We work together to preserve, restore, drive, show, race and provide fellowship for these classic cars. This is one of the best places to find information about parts, rebuilding, restoration and racing. This website is not affiliated with GM, General Motors or Chevrolet in any capacity.

Go Back   Chevy Nova Forum > Non-Technical > 4th Generation Nova's

StevesNovaSite.com is the premier Chevrolet Nova Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 20th-November-2012, 09:57 PM   #1
ProNova

Title: Nova Guru
Nova(s): 1976 Pro Street SS clone
Pop Out Quarter Windows

Thanks to a very close friend I will have a complete set of Pop out windows with everything including Seals and latches, My Question is Have any of you removed or installed a set? Is the mounting spots dimpled? or is it a fit it to the car type job, May be some time before I get to install them but want to know what I have to deal with, Photos of the install or just photos of any part of them would be great, Thanks all
Bruce NNN Member #41221 Prostreet Fraternity
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 20th-November-2012, 11:09 PM   #2
Novajay

Bruce,

Great score for you! When I located a set of windows, I made templates and took careful measurements of where the holes were located on the donor car. I do not recall seeing dimples on the car they were going in, and I did not try to install them yet.

If you do measure and template the holes, don't forget the ones on the interior sail panel as well.

Jay
Old 21st-November-2012, 11:23 AM   #3
ProNova

Nova(s): 1976 Pro Street SS clone
Thanks Jay I guess that will be my headache cause I will not see what they came out of, But I know with help I will make it work. thanks
Bruce NNN Member #41221 Prostreet Fraternity
Old 23rd-November-2012, 08:22 PM   #4
77Concours

Nova(s): 1977 Nova Concours
Bruce,

Long time no talk. I hope you make this a winter project so I can see it next summer.

-Adam
Old 23rd-November-2012, 08:58 PM   #5
kimrobertson

Nova(s): 79 Phoenix
Bruce--I'm certainly no expert on these but maybe this will help. I took a set of these off a car last summer. There are 4 screws (each window) for the hinges to screw onto the body. The male part of the hinges are attaced to the windows. So once you put the window seal in it should be a matter of placing the window on in a position where it looks right and seems to seal good and mark where the hinge holes should be.

I think there may very well be factory holes already in your body (there were in my 79) for the latch to screw into. If so, because part of the latch is also attached to the window, identifying the latch position and screwing it on would help you locate the correct position for the windows and the hinges. Also, I think you will need to notch the plastic window trim on the inside so the latch can close all the way. Hope this makes sense.Here are some photos of the windows I had in case they help.

Terrible picture of screws for latch
[/IMG]

Screws and hinges
[/IMG]

Latch
[/IMG]

Window
[/IMG]
Old 24th-November-2012, 08:26 AM   #6
77-427-5sp

Nova(s): 1977 nova bb 427 5sp tko
great info , allways wanted a set of those but out of the 6 parts cars i got over the last 25 years never found them
now i see it can be done
Advertisement