My ET Finals Experience. - Chevy Nova Forum
Visit our sponsor, National Nostalgic Nova

Steve's Nova Site is an automotive enthusiast website dedicated to the 1962 - 1979 Chevrolet Nova, Chevy II and Acadian automobiles. We work together to preserve, restore, drive, show, race and provide fellowship for these classic cars. This is one of the best places to find information about parts, rebuilding, restoration and racing. This website is not affiliated with GM, General Motors or Chevrolet in any capacity.

Go Back   Chevy Nova Forum > General > Drag Racing Forum

StevesNovaSite.com is the premier Chevrolet Nova Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 20th-November-2012, 05:43 PM   #1
davidr5610

Title: Nova Guru
Nova(s): 1970 Nova, 1971 Nova
My ET Finals Experience.

This is my story (with pics) of my experience at the Division 7 ET Finals in Bakersfield back in September.

After my best season yet running in Sportsman (2 wins), I went to my first ET Finals ever. And I made the Race of Champions or Summit Super Showdown. I had been racing since 2006.

I made the 4 hour tow with my 69 Chevy C10. It did very well. My brother decided to drive his 68 Pontiac Lemans down there. Little back story, earlier this year, my brother bought a dragster, sold his Mustang, and sold his open trailer (to me). So he finished the season in his Pontiac and also made the Race of Champions.

Getting to the track.

Thursday night we did the Gambler's race.

My brother won his round, but I lost to a 9 second Nova.

Round 2 was on Friday morning, so I settled back in the stands to root for my brother and other Team Sacramento cars. Well my brother's car broke on the launch, so I towed him back to the pit where the fun began... Note there's one person working, and other drivers providing moral support. We also had to borrow those jack stands from a neighbor.

Well there's what's left of his non-posi rearend.

Remember he drove down here, so getting both cars back will be a pain. Here we make the best decision for what to do, I offered to him the use of my truck to race, but we decided that if that broke, we would really be in a bind. So we loaded his car up on my trailer, and he towed his car back with my truck.

Unfortunately, that truck was my backup, so now I had to make sure my car held together, I was confident, but you never know....

But now with my brother driving, I was now by myself, so I spent the day talking to other people, and taking pictures, etc. Got a couple more runs in. My car was running great, with numbers in the 12.7s and low 12.8s, which is good especially because of the 100+ temps and high humidity.

Friday evening Team Sacramento had a BBQ, where we got our Team Sacramento shirts, and ET Finals shirts, hats, etc.

My brother got back to the track at around midnight.

Saturday morning we had one time run, and then first round of eliminations in the Team Race. My brother was racing his truck (06 silverado) We both dropped out in the first round with red lights. Oh well. So we spent the day watching our teammates race. And one of our guys won in the Sportsman class. Saturday evening was another BBQ/party at Team Sacramento's pit.

And apparantly I didn't take any pictures from Saturday...

Sunday morning we had one time run, then eliminations for the Summit Super Showdown (Race of Champions). My brother was racing a borrowed car, a Camaro that runs 13s.

The staging lanes..

My brother lost in the first round, but I went .011, and forced the other car to break out, giving me the win light. Three of our five team cars made it through the first round.

Second round comes along, and I am informed that my .011 gives me a bye run in the second round.

So with a nice single run, I go .050 and run a 12.809 on a 12.80 dial. Now there are only 2 Team Sacramento cars left.

Third round...

that blue Nova is also Team Sacramento...

I raced the big Charger in this pic.

I went .003 and had a pretty easy win, I was able to get out of the throttle and take enough stripe. I ran a 12.899 on a 12.82 dial, and scrubbed 5mph. He actually broke out with a 12.063 on a 12.08, but he had a .138 light. It was all over at the tree.

Fourth Round (No pics), I raced a 60s Ranchero. He had the reaction advantage, .012 to .021, but he could not catch up to me, as I tapped the brakes (lost 1mph) and ran a 12.882 on a 12.84 dial to his all-out 12.483 on a 12.41 dial. the next pair of car to go was my Team Sacramento teammate in the blue Nova. Unfortunately, he red-lit but then scattered his motor downtrack. Short delay for a clean-up.

Now it's the Semi-Finals, I had gone farther than I had imagined I would, and now the Pomona trip is in grasp.

Final 4:

This was not our pairings, I raced the silver Nova, and the truck raced the Camaro.

I actually had my worst round of the weekend, with a terrible .094 light to his .019, so it was all over then, but then to top it off, I went almost a full tenth slower on the top end. It would have been all over for me regardless. I did better than I thought I would, and I went away happy.

Final round was the Nova vs. the Camaro, with the Camaro taking the win.

And a few weeks later, I had my picture in the National Dragster.

Great times.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 20th-November-2012, 06:09 PM   #2
sbc1320

Nova(s): Working on it
Nice story except for the Pontiac(breaking down), but it worked out good that he used your truck and trailer.

I drove my last 71 for 6 years and 4 of those years it was my only car for work and play. My wife had her car though. It never let me down and I figured if it ever broke at the track that I would call a flatbed wrecker to take it home. Ran 11.60s with that car and had lots of fun.

Glad you had some fun and thanks for the pictures.
70 Nova 350 Sold
71 Nova 350 Sold

Last edited by sbc1320; 20th-November-2012 at 06:42 PM.
Old 20th-November-2012, 06:19 PM   #3
64IIGolfLover

Nova(s): 64 Chevy II
Thats pretty cool. Congratulations on a good season!
Old 20th-November-2012, 07:11 PM   #4
carjai

Nova(s): 73 nova
That's pretty cool, how do I get into those kind of races
Old 20th-November-2012, 08:01 PM   #5
65 Post

Nova(s): 65 Post
Congrats on your semi final finish. Like our Cleveland Browns, wait till next year. Your car looks pretty good. And I hope my 65 runs as good as yours. Dave

2002 GORDY 150" RED, 7.91@ 167
Old 20th-November-2012, 11:54 PM   #6
RumpRat

Nova(s): '72 Pro-Street SS Clone
Nice read and pics. Sounds like it was somewhat fun.
Old 25th-November-2012, 08:33 AM   #7
1974nova

Title: Nova Senior Member
Nova(s): 74 Spirit of America
Congrats great story and pic's I went to my 3rd Div 1 bracket finals this year but this was my first as part of Team Atco, the other 2 were as an alternate My first year I lost in the 3rd round to the eventual winner of the race and then he went on to win the race in Pomona too.

1987 Turbo T
12.8 @ 107.6
Old 3rd-December-2012, 10:35 PM   #8
a-z racing 1

Nova(s): 1963 Nova SS Convertible
Congrats great pictures and story, hate when a bad reaction time happens, know how that feels.
Old 3rd-December-2012, 10:46 PM   #9
Glenn

Nova(s): 1966 Chevy II Wagon
Thanks for sharing your story and pictures, and Congradulations on a great racing year
Old 12th-December-2012, 12:04 AM   #10
71nova355

Nova(s): '71, mild 355, t10, 10 bo
Thumbs up nice lil write up

congrats bud, killer ride
Advertisement