I spent the day at Blood Enterprises today. A little test and tune on the dyno was in order. The car didnt drive well from idle to about 1300 rpm unless you "launched" it from the start,slow speed driving between those rpms was also less than acceptable in my eyes. I was certain it was carb/jetting.
First thing was to put it on the lift and replace a broken wheel stud on the pass side rear. It also gave me/them a chance to go over the car. I had never seen the underside clearly and from all angles due to the ride hieght.I was very happy with the inspection,it didnt reveal anything unusual.All the floor pans and normal places for rust to develop were in great shape or had been replaced already, the repairs looked profesional and on par. There was two items that I noticed.
First was the battery cable routing to the trunk had a pinch point in the positive lead,that was addressed immediatly along with some heat sheilding added. While I was under there they allowed me to use there tools and also add rubber isolation dampers to my fuel pump mount. (I thought that was very cool, a very customer oriented shop that didnt mind you helping)While I was doing that the mech replaced the wheel studs and gave the car a once over from his standpoint...He noticed the oil pan was way to close to the front cross member,not a huge repair need to add BB standoffs to the cross member but parts needed to be ordered and that will be done another day
I also shot a few pics of the underside
Then it was dyno time
Dyno confirmed some carb work was needed. A couple external adjustments and some other fiddly bits with the float bowl off and it was time for another pull. Dyno showed a lean mixturre still so a few more tweeks and the numbers were looking good. Craig(the owner and mech) also mentioned that the airfilter I had was a horsepower stealer. So for grin he threw one of his favorites on there... another dyno run and it showed a 15 hp gain.WOW I couldnt believe it. SO , I will be ordering that set up pronto.
The graphs and what not showed I was still a bit rich at the top end (wot) but he new I wasnt chasing numbers and was looking more for drivability at low speeds and cruising so we opted for no changes as it would have been another hour or so of shop time.
The magic # at the end of the day was 367 HP and 480 ft lbs torque to the rear wheels. I was expecting less than that from what I have learned when comparing crankshaft #'s (chevy specs) to dyno rear wheel #'s
They have defenitly earned my respect and bussines, top notch service.
Best part is the owner is into R/C and offered the use of his sandblaster and what not to me after we started talking crawlers/scalers and R/C in general.