Fat Man spindles - Chevy Nova Forum
Visit our sponsor, National Nostalgic Nova

Steve's Nova Site is an automotive enthusiast website dedicated to the 1962 - 1979 Chevrolet Nova, Chevy II and Acadian automobiles. We work together to preserve, restore, drive, show, race and provide fellowship for these classic cars. This is one of the best places to find information about parts, rebuilding, restoration and racing. This website is not affiliated with GM, General Motors or Chevrolet in any capacity.

Go Back   Chevy Nova Forum > Body, Chassis and Mechanical > Steering, Suspension, and Chassis

StevesNovaSite.com is the premier Chevrolet Nova Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 18th-November-2012, 11:46 PM   #1
mr.murf

Title: Nova Senior Member
Nova(s): 1973
Fat Man spindles

Has anyone used the 2" drop spindles from Fat Man Fabrications?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 20th-November-2012, 10:34 AM   #2
72novaproject

Title: Nova Guru
Nova(s): 72, 67
All the drop spindles are pretty much the same. Heidt’s has what they call a 2” drop “TALL” spindle that moves the upper ball joint hole up 1.5” for a better camber curve. Most drop spindles are around 300.00US.

http://www.picturetrail.com/zdnova

Half built 383, MT Tires, and 20 lb of Mig wire.
Old 20th-November-2012, 10:54 AM   #3
mr.murf

Yes and the fat man spindles are also a "tall" spindle. I'm just worried about tie rod issues with the wheels that i have. I'm running 17x7 with 4" of backspacing.

Most of the camaro forums (they use the same front suspension as 3rd gens) guys have run into problems with the tie rods hitting the wheel/tire with drop spindles.

I just want to know if anybody here has used the tall drop spindles without any tie rod issues.. and what backspacing they have.
Old 20th-November-2012, 11:16 AM   #4
carguy502

Title: Nova Junior Member
Nova(s): 1969 Nova
The FatMan spindles are the same as the RideTech True Turn spindles. If you get the True Turn kit, They include high clearence steering arms that also eliminate bump steer common to taller spindles. I went this route and could not be happier.

Don
Old 20th-November-2012, 03:32 PM   #5
jakeg214

Title: Nova Newbie
Nova(s): 1972
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.murf View Post
Most of the camaro forums (they use the same front suspension as 3rd gens) guys have run into problems with the tie rods hitting the wheel/tire with drop spindles.
Does that problem exist when using 2" lowering springs? Just wondering.
Old 20th-November-2012, 03:55 PM   #6
mr.murf

Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy502 View Post
The FatMan spindles are the same as the RideTech True Turn spindles. If you get the True Turn kit, They include high clearence steering arms that also eliminate bump steer common to taller spindles. I went this route and could not be happier.

Don
The more I read about that kit, the more I want it!

However, I only have a budget of $2000 for my front suspension upgrade and that kit would eat up half of it..... plus they don't guarantee fitment with stock or other tubular control arms.

What size front wheels are you running? backspacing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeg214 View Post
Does that problem exist when using 2" lowering springs? Just wondering.
No........
Old 20th-November-2012, 05:00 PM   #7
carguy502

Title: Nova Junior Member
Nova(s): 1969 Nova
Quote:
The more I read about that kit, the more I want it!

However, I only have a budget of $2000 for my front suspension upgrade and that kit would eat up half of it..... plus they don't guarantee fitment with stock or other tubular control arms.

What size front wheels are you running? backspacing?
I have a kinda an oddball setup. The wheels are Edelbrock 454 17X8 with 4.25" BS, but the rear has been narrowed 1" on each side and an ECI front brake kit that narrows the front end 1" per side. Basically tag 1" onto the back spacing figures and the wheel fitment should be close to what you need to run.

I plan to upgrade to 17X9 with 275-40-17 on all four corners this winter.

Best,
Don
Old 20th-November-2012, 05:44 PM   #8
jakeg214

Quote:
No........
Thanks. Funny thing, I went over to ridetech's site also and started to think this is the way I might go with my front end rebuild. But just as you it kills my budget, since I have to do the rear as well.

I think I'm going to go with lowering springs for now, and think about ridetech down the line. It looks like a really nice setup but I need to get on the road.. I just have too much to I want do.
Old 23rd-November-2012, 12:22 PM   #9
jakeg214

Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy502 View Post
The FatMan spindles are the same as the RideTech True Turn spindles.
If thats true, then aftermarket A-arms would be required to use the spindles, as I believe ride-tech requires their a-arms to be used with their drop spindles.

I'm not sure if Fatman or Heidts requires the use of their A-arms with their dropped spindles.

CPP says you can't go more than 4" of backspace with their dropped modulars. I ran into an old thread on lateral-g or camaro where someone had asked heidts and fatman and neither would say how much BS could be used with their spindles. Wheel size would probably also come into play. It seems most people are using 4.25 BS with 17's on 3rd gen's with stock spindles.
Old 26th-November-2012, 02:55 PM   #10
jakeg214

Quote:
Has anyone used the 2" drop spindles from Fat Man Fabrications?

Murf, I realize you are asking about the fatman spindles, I sent them an email and I have not heard back.

I also sent a email to Heidts about their 2" tall spindle and Mike Hawley responded saying that a maximum of 5" of backspace can be used with a 17" wheel with their spindles.

Maybe that will help? I'm still going back and forth on spindles or springs.
Old 27th-November-2012, 02:49 AM   #11
mr.murf

Quote:
Murf, I realize you are asking about the fatman spindles, I sent them an email and I have not heard back.

I also sent a email to Heidts about their 2" tall spindle and Mike Hawley responded saying that a maximum of 5" of backspace can be used with a 17" wheel with their spindles.

Maybe that will help? I'm still going back and forth on spindles or springs.

I keep going back and forth myself. I'm trying to figure out if the heidts spindles would work with my stock disc brakes up front. I'm not sure if the bracket would work or not.

I think I might just save my money and keep my stock spindles with some drop springs for now... because i'm gonna be out of money after I buy my 500 series steering box, new master/booster and tubular control arms.

Let me know what you decide for you setup.

Good to know the spindles are good up to 5"... i'm planning on going 4.5"
Old 30th-November-2012, 07:16 PM   #12
mr.murf

Looks like i'm going with the Heidt's tall drop spindles after all. I just got off the phone with Brian at Heidts and he said they will work with stock 11" disc brakes and ANY tubular control arms.

Just thought i'd share.
Old 2nd-December-2012, 01:16 PM   #13
jakeg214

Quote:
Looks like i'm going with the Heidt's tall drop spindles after all. I just got off the phone with Brian at Heidts and he said they will work with stock 11" disc brakes and ANY tubular control arms.

Just thought i'd share.
Thanks for the update. Did he happen to mention anything about tie-rod clearances? I'm leaning to springs still but I have not yet purchased.
Old 4th-December-2012, 01:51 AM   #14
mr.murf

Quote:
Thanks for the update. Did he happen to mention anything about tie-rod clearances? I'm leaning to springs still but I have not yet purchased.

You said in a previous post that you asked heidts and they said you can run up to 5" backspacing with a 17" wheel. That answers our question about tie rod clearance, correct?

Right now I have a 17x7 with 4" backspacing, but when I get new wheels I plan on going 17x7 with 4.5" backspacing so I should still be good.. that is if what they told you is true about being good up to 5".

Am I missing something here?
Old 4th-December-2012, 05:00 PM   #15
jakeg214

Quote:
Am I missing something here?
That is what I was told was 5" of BS on a 17" wheel. I didn't know if other details about this were discussed when you spoke with them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement