Ebay/Gearhead front clip anyone using one?? - Chevy Nova Forum
Visit our sponsor, National Nostalgic Nova

Steve's Nova Site is an automotive enthusiast website dedicated to the 1962 - 1979 Chevrolet Nova, Chevy II and Acadian automobiles. We work together to preserve, restore, drive, show, race and provide fellowship for these classic cars. This is one of the best places to find information about parts, rebuilding, restoration and racing. This website is not affiliated with GM, General Motors or Chevrolet in any capacity.

Go Back   Chevy Nova Forum > Body, Chassis and Mechanical > Steering, Suspension, and Chassis

StevesNovaSite.com is the premier Chevrolet Nova Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 13th-November-2012, 11:07 PM   #1
jsilva

Title: Nova Newbie
Nova(s): 67 2dr sedan 67 4dr
Ebay/Gearhead front clip anyone using one??

Ive done searches all over the place looking for peoples opinion on the generic mustang ll clip for sale on ebay. I know the components probably arent as good as a chassisworks, tci, heidts etc kit but for the substantial price difference was wondering if it was worth looking into.

Heres a link
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1962-1963-19...cb83b7&vxp=mtr
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 13th-November-2012, 11:42 PM   #2
VooDooII

Title: Nova Guru
No springs?
Old 13th-November-2012, 11:56 PM   #3
ibuildm

Title: Supporting Vendor
It looks like a knock-off of the Heidts sub frame with a bunch of Chinese parts and no provision for a sway bar. They don't even know how to assemble it. Look where the a-arm tee bolt heads are. They are supposed to come in from the bottom of the hats. They have them upside down with the nuts on the bottom
Tim
www.timshotrods.com 509 926 1429
Old 14th-November-2012, 12:35 AM   #4
nodice333

Nova(s): 1967 1969
Id be cautious, remeber you get what you pay for. Probley inferior metal and id put money on it that none of the bolts used are grade 8
Old 14th-November-2012, 01:01 AM   #5
rodneypierce

Title: Nova Senior Member
Nova(s): 1965 moredoor
Quote:
Originally Posted by nodice333 View Post
Id be cautious, remeber you get what you pay for. Probley inferior metal and id put money on it that none of the bolts used are grade 8
so let me get this straight.... the use grade 8 bolts justifies a $2000.00 price hike???

Sorry, but Im not buying it. Im sure the wall thickness of the tubing is plenty thick and plenty strong....

How do you guys know this isnt a guy assembling them in his own shop and marketing them on ebay?

I dont know, but have sent him a message to ask about wall thickness of the tubing. Ill report back when I find out.

Sometimes you dont have to spend 4 grand on a bolt on clip to get a quality product

The TCI and Heidts clips are very nice pieces! And the customer service is excellent on them. Im not dogging on them by any means, but think that sometimes people seem to think if you dont spend 4 grand on a front clip, they are junk...

Last edited by rodneypierce; 14th-November-2012 at 01:09 AM.
Old 14th-November-2012, 01:29 AM   #6
Ryan V64SS

Nova(s): 64 SS, 63 Sedan
I think there have been enough bad experiences with cheap offshore parts to justify being cautious. I for one would not risk my and my familys safety on cheap ebay parts and questionable origins of said parts and if its as you say assembled in some guys shop, again no thanks. I will stick with quality parts, assembled with quality steel made in a jig and welded by an certified welder or robot JMO

BTW I think Heidts or Tci has a clip at around $2500 not $4000.

Last edited by Ryan V64SS; 14th-November-2012 at 01:34 AM.
Old 14th-November-2012, 01:43 AM   #7
rodneypierce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan V64SS View Post
I think there have been enough bad experiences with cheap offshore parts to justify being cautious. I for one would not risk my and my familys safety on cheap ebay parts and questionable origins of said parts and if its as you say assembled in some guys shop, again no thanks. I will stick with quality parts, assembled with quality steel made in a jig and welded by an certified welder or robot JMO

BTW I think Heidts or Tci has a clip at around $2500 not $4000.
So just because its built in someone's shop means they didnt build a jig and build it correctly?

Amazing what someone capable of fabrication, and with a little bit of knowledge can do with a basic tape measure, level, protractor/angle finder, saw, welder, and some steel.... Then ad in some good software to aid in the roll center location (ie where to place the pivot points to get your static and dynamic roll center correct) and your more then capable of building a very good handling/performing/functioning clip that is solid, square and safe...

Anyways......

I sent them an email with a few questions. Wall thickness, tubing size and thickness, country of origin for steel, etc.

Last edited by rodneypierce; 14th-November-2012 at 01:49 AM.
Old 14th-November-2012, 02:21 AM   #8
Spencer 65 Nova

Nova(s): 1965 2DR Hard Top
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsilva View Post
Ive done searches all over the place looking for peoples opinion on the generic mustang ll clip for sale on ebay. I know the components probably arent as good as a chassisworks, tci, heidts etc kit but for the substantial price difference was wondering if it was worth looking into.

Heres a link
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1962-1963-19...cb83b7&vxp=mtr
The price looks nice but I would check out

http://www.classicnova.com/pilot.asp

and contact Walt about the Mustang II IFS.

With the added shipping and all I know I got mine for a couple hundred dollars more. Walt shipped it to me for free so there is part of the additional expense saved. I wont quote a price because I do not know what Walt is able to offer as a promotion at this time. What do you have to lose by asking?

Check out my build and their is more info about the IFS listed there and more contact info for Walt. http://www.stevesnovasite.com/forums...d.php?t=198515
Old 14th-November-2012, 09:08 AM   #9
racer357

Title: Nova Junior Member
Nova(s): 1966
I have to ask, if you had your mind made up regarding the quality of this knockoff part, why did you bother asking the question?

TCI, Heidts, Chassis works etc. all have liability insurance to cover them selves if their parts fail and injure or kill you. They also have high r&d costs to insure that the geometry is accurate and your car will handle well.

Peace of mind when hauling my family is worth more money to me. Good luck with your build.
Old 14th-November-2012, 09:38 AM   #10
Ryan V64SS

Nova(s): 64 SS, 63 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodneypierce View Post
So just because its built in someone's shop means they didnt build a jig and build it correctly?

At that price I highly doubt it. If someone can undercut the cheapest front clip by 1/2 then there are some major corners being cut. JMO

Do a search on procomp they make cheap knock off engine parts...

Good luck if you buy one.
Old 14th-November-2012, 10:10 AM   #11
Pragmatist

I can't figure out why everyone is ganging up on this guy. Kinda reminds me of back when everyone was afflicted with CBR disease. The supplier has been around for awhile and I have bought from before without problems. I'll even bet if TCI or Heidts was located somewhere in the southeast either could match these prices easily.

Last edited by Pragmatist; 14th-November-2012 at 01:03 PM.
Old 14th-November-2012, 10:18 AM   #12
nodice333

Nova(s): 1967 1969
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodneypierce View Post
so let me get this straight.... the use grade 8 bolts justifies a $2000.00 price hike???

Sorry, but Im not buying it. Im sure the wall thickness of the tubing is plenty thick and plenty strong....

How do you guys know this isnt a guy assembling them in his own shop and marketing them on ebay?

I dont know, but have sent him a message to ask about wall thickness of the tubing. Ill report back when I find out.

Sometimes you dont have to spend 4 grand on a bolt on clip to get a quality product

The TCI and Heidts clips are very nice pieces! And the customer service is excellent on them. Im not dogging on them by any means, but think that sometimes people seem to think if you dont spend 4 grand on a front clip, they are junk...
ive learned my lesson by buying something cheaper and it turning out to not be what it was supposed to be, and this was from what was supposed to be a very trust worthy company! and even then when i contacted them to inform them of the defect, they were unwilling to replace or help.

and heidts and tci front ends are not 4000$. all im saying is buyer beware, do your homework, who knows mabey that front end turns out to be a quality piece, but as someone stated above, they didnt even assemble it correctly in the provided picture.
Old 14th-November-2012, 10:20 AM   #13
nova656567

Nova(s): 65 coupe 65 SS 67 Wagon
There is a lot that goes into building a front clip that will work properly. Believe me, I know that you can build a high quality, safe chassis in a small shop. I'm building a full tube chassis for my 66 Nova that will be powered by a blown BBC.

Not going to talk down the part listed although I did notice some things that would make me cautious about buying this particular clip. Some are probably just due to being assembled incorrectly which just shows that they sell the part, but aren't familiar with how they actually work, which is important if you have any questions or issues with the install. I did notice some issues with the components.

Heidt's, DSE, Chassisworks, etc. put a lot of time in R&D to develop their products & are a known products. If you are looking for the lowest price front suspension to put under your car, based on my experience this is probably it. I personally never like to cut corners or shop strictly by price when it comes to suspension or brakes. When it goes bad, it can really go bad!

That clip is a knockoff of a basic MustangII front clip w/power R&P. MustangII clips from a US manufacturer are not $4000 (as Ryan pointed out). Before you spend your money on any manufacturer's front clip, be sure to consider the investment for a key part of your Nova build. Remember that you are buying a part that will have a huge impact on safety, enjoying driving your car, & should last the life of the car.

Walt
Old 14th-November-2012, 12:48 PM   #14
rodneypierce

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer357 View Post
I have to ask, if you had your mind made up regarding the quality of this knockoff part, why did you bother asking the question?
The OP hasnt, Im not the OP.

And for the record, the "think its junk if you dont spend 4000.00" was just a blanket reference statement....

Last edited by rodneypierce; 14th-November-2012 at 12:52 PM.
Old 14th-November-2012, 01:01 PM   #15
Pragmatist

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer357 View Post
How do you know this is a "Knockoff Part"? Just by not revealing the manufacturer? He may be reducing overstock from a major supplier and is not permitted to say.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement