Mono leaf to multi leaf swap - Chevy Nova Forum
Visit our sponsor, National Nostalgic Nova

Steve's Nova Site is an automotive enthusiast website dedicated to the 1962 - 1979 Chevrolet Nova, Chevy II and Acadian automobiles. We work together to preserve, restore, drive, show, race and provide fellowship for these classic cars. This is one of the best places to find information about parts, rebuilding, restoration and racing. This website is not affiliated with GM, General Motors or Chevrolet in any capacity.

Go Back   Chevy Nova Forum > Body, Chassis and Mechanical > Steering, Suspension, and Chassis

StevesNovaSite.com is the premier Chevrolet Nova Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 13th-November-2012, 11:50 PM   #1
NovaNick70

Title: Nova Senior Member
Nova(s): 1970 307ci project
Mono leaf to multi leaf swap

I am looking to buy new leafs for my 70 nova. It has factory monoleafs that are toast. I want to swap the factory monos for some eaton multi leafs. My question is two fold: 1.what additional hardware will I need (shackles, bolts, everything)? And what is expected if I go +2"? Any photos you have of Novas with any eaton leafs would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 14th-November-2012, 12:10 PM   #2
NovaNick70

Thought i would refresh, posted this late for the east coast guys. Any feedback? Anybody with Church Boys rear springs? Any picks?
Old 14th-November-2012, 12:48 PM   #3
sbc1320

Title: Nova Guru
Nova(s): Working on it
U bolts, isolator pads if using them along with poly bushings in the springs and correct or new shocks.

Did that to my last 71 Nova. I probably got those springs from Classic Industries for stock height.
70 Nova 350 Sold
71 Nova 350 Sold
Old 14th-November-2012, 01:19 PM   #4
NovaNick70

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbc1320 View Post
U bolts, isolator pads if using them along with poly bushings in the springs and correct or new shocks.

Did that to my last 71 Nova. I probably got those springs from Classic Industries for stock height.
Thanks for the help! do you happen to have any photos of the stance for that one? I am trying to get an idea of what "stock" height is!
Old 14th-November-2012, 01:22 PM   #5
65Coupe

Nova(s): Gone, but not forgotten.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaNick70 View Post
I am looking to buy new leafs for my 70 nova. It has factory monoleafs that are toast. I want to swap the factory monos for some eaton multi leafs. My question is two fold: 1.what additional hardware will I need (shackles, bolts, everything)? And what is expected if I go +2"? Any photos you have of Novas with any eaton leafs would be appreciated.
Call up Eaton Detroit Spring and they'll send you all the hardware you need to upgrade to multi's including u-bolts, pads, shackles, and bushings. I upgraded my mono's to Eaton multi's last year and they made all the difference in the world. Plus, their quality is second to none.
Old 14th-November-2012, 02:10 PM   #6
jimys72

Nova(s): 72 Nova, 78 Elcamino
I changed mine out about ten years ago with ones from Paddock. seems i had an issue with the locater pin on the new leafs. I now that i made spacer blocks so the brackets wouldnt over bend. Good luck.
Old 14th-November-2012, 02:22 PM   #7
sbc1320

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimys72 View Post
I changed mine out about ten years ago with ones from Paddock. seems i had an issue with the locater pin on the new leafs. I now that i made spacer blocks so the brackets wouldnt over bend. Good luck.
I had a 3/8" shank drill bit in my tool that enlarged the hole in the spring perch perfectly. You could also take a die grinder to the hole or grind the locating pin smaller. I drove mine to my shop where I work and did the change over and drove it home.
70 Nova 350 Sold
71 Nova 350 Sold
Old 14th-November-2012, 02:24 PM   #8
sbc1320

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaNick70 View Post
Thanks for the help! do you happen to have any photos of the stance for that one? I am trying to get an idea of what "stock" height is!
70 Nova 350 Sold
71 Nova 350 Sold
Old 14th-November-2012, 02:32 PM   #9
NovaNick70

Thanks for all the help guys, definitely need to get on the horn with Eaton and see what they say!
Old 14th-November-2012, 03:06 PM   #10
xten57

Nova(s): 69
spring swap

I swapped from mono's to multi's, but I went with a 5-leaf set up. If you use one of the 2- or 3-leaf mono replacement kits from Eaton it will probably have everything you need.

The initial ride height, and how it looks, will change after driving the car for a while because the springs will settle. How your car looks compared to others' may also differ depending on your tire and rims, so take that into consideration.

When I replaced my worn out stock mono's with multi's it raised the rear end about two inches just because the old springs sagged so much. If you like you can PM me and I'll send you a couple of before and after pics.
Old 27th-November-2012, 10:27 PM   #11
MrJoshua

Title: Nova Newbie
I am doing the same thing to my 72. It originally had the mono and I bought a set of multi leafs (4 leafs). I also ordered new shocks for the multi set up. The shocks are the same length as the ones for the mono. What is different about the shock is the way it mounts to the shock plate. The shock plates are different. You may need to order the multi leaf shock plates as well. If I'm wrong about this please let me know cause I'm about to order new shock plates.

The spring purches on the axle tubes are a little different. They are deeper. You will have to make up two spacers to fill the gap between the mono purches and the spring plate that is formed due to the added spring height from the leafs. Also the multi purches have a hole in the middle for the locating pin. The mono's had the locating pin on the bottom and it went through the shock plate.

Hope that helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement