Rocker Panel Problem 3rd Gen. - Chevy Nova Forum
Visit our sponsor, National Nostalgic Nova

Steve's Nova Site is an automotive enthusiast website dedicated to the 1962 - 1979 Chevrolet Nova, Chevy II and Acadian automobiles. We work together to preserve, restore, drive, show, race and provide fellowship for these classic cars. This is one of the best places to find information about parts, rebuilding, restoration and racing. This website is not affiliated with GM, General Motors or Chevrolet in any capacity.

Go Back   Chevy Nova Forum > Body, Chassis and Mechanical > Body and Interior

StevesNovaSite.com is the premier Chevrolet Nova Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 12th-November-2012, 10:01 PM   #1
NOVA1958

Title: Nova Junior Member
Nova(s): 72 NOVA W /454 BIG BLOCK
Rocker Panel Problem 3rd Gen.

Hi everyone
I think I know the answer on this but here's my question.Look at the pic below and tell me if the rocker panel is mounted to far forward.The gap between the door and fender is 3/16.The drivers side the mounted flush with the door which give more room to adjust.It was like this when I purchased the car now I need some advise on how to fix this.I'm thinking about cutting the end off and welding back on in the right spot.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12th-November-2012, 11:14 PM   #2
RatNova71

Title: Nova Guru
Nova(s): 71 72
Its a pretty healthy gap there. Paintstick gap is what I would be shootin for.

1971 & 1972, Other junk projects
http://s1075.photobucket.com/profile...aintshop/index
Old 15th-November-2012, 05:49 PM   #3
NOVA1958

OK I got one reply to my post to no help I already knew the gap was to big.I need somebody to look at there car and tell me if the rocker is suppose to be even with the door or does it look like the one in my first post.

Thanks
Old 15th-November-2012, 06:02 PM   #4
taz3

Title: Moderator
Nova(s): 2 69 SS BB L78's & 69 4dr
No, the door needs to come forward. What is the gap at the quarter and the door like? My #'s matching is an all original panel car, it has one quarter panel that sticks out an 1/8", someone was sleeping on the line. Panel fit was mediocre at best, none of the 3 of my cars have the same panel fitment.

As you can see my original paint car is the same as your car with the door gap being too large compared to the rocker panel.

Last edited by taz3; 15th-November-2012 at 06:05 PM.
Old 15th-November-2012, 06:10 PM   #5
Prairie Kid

Nova(s): 68 rolling chassis
my car had original panels, and the door gap was larger than the rocker gap. i would take a pic but i have since removed the doors.
Old 15th-November-2012, 06:20 PM   #6
luepke75

Nova(s): 63SS,63LR,68
Thats just how these cars are or at least the dozen or so that I own or have cut up. The door can be adjusted forward but it will increase the gap at the quarter panel, I just split the diff. you can modify it but Im willing to bet that what you see is what the factory released. Its up to you on how tight you want it, but having replaced a rocker panel on a 68 I would add to the door or fender to tighten it up once the gap was set at the quarter, the rocker is a big, big, big job.

Old 15th-November-2012, 07:57 PM   #7
NOVA1958

The gap at the rear of the door is a little more than a paint stick on both side.This is a 72 Nova, so the hinges are welded on the doors and the car also,no adjustment.
Thanks for the reply's.
Old 15th-November-2012, 08:29 PM   #8
taz3

Are the door and fender original to the car?

Old 15th-November-2012, 08:38 PM   #9
Custom Jim

Nova(s): 1968,1973,1974,1977(Sold)
You may be opening another set of problems with cutting the end of the rocker off and then welding it more rearward (but doing so to me would make it look better).

Reworking the rocker would get the front edge of the rocker even with the front of the door but now you may not be able to get the fender back far enough. The fender where it bolts to the firewall may keep the fender from going rearward enough BUT a good smack with a BFH on this hole in the firewall face may push it back far enough. The next problem may be that now the bolt holding the top of the fender against the side of the cowl may not have a big enough hole in it but for this a rat tail file could be used to elongate the hole.
I had to do both of these things on my 74 on one side but now everything is lining up how I want it to and I also have less shims to deal with.

Jim
Old 15th-November-2012, 08:56 PM   #10
jimr38

Nova(s): 1972 nova
well . i just went out and checked mine out , with the car up on the lift and that area right at eye level, i didn't like what i saw . at least on one side. the one i don't like ,now after paint i don't know what to do with it , ill prolly just leave it, im not as obsessed with gaps as some people are. i knew the pass side gap was a little large, its bigger than i thought.. i consider the drivers side perfect , now the other side, not so much...
Old 15th-November-2012, 09:38 PM   #11
NOVA1958

Whats up with these cars,a good friend just sent me a pic of his car and it's the same as mine,not quit as bad.The drivers side is great where as the passager side sucks.These cars must have all came from the same factory where one guy was doing his job right and the other one was goofing off.As for the post above about me cutting the panel off and having room for the fender to move back, there is plenty of room to work with.As for the question about factory doors and fenders the door is original and the fender is from AMD.

Last edited by NOVA1958; 15th-November-2012 at 09:41 PM. Reason: left out something
Old 15th-November-2012, 09:57 PM   #12
CdnL79 Registry

Nova(s): 63 SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVA1958 View Post
Whats up with these cars,a good friend just sent me a pic of his car and it's the same as mine,not quit as bad.The drivers side is great where as the passager side sucks.These cars must have all came from the same factory where one guy was doing his job right and the other one was goofing off.
This lack of quality control was the norm in the 60s and 70s. Close was good enough and it appears they didn't worry about matching gaps on each side. If you ever get to meet any former GM line workers, ask about how these cars were put together, then you'll understand why your car is the way it is.

Bob
The Cdn. L79 Registry
Old 15th-November-2012, 10:52 PM   #13
taz3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVA1958 View Post
Whats up with these cars,a good friend just sent me a pic of his car and it's the same as mine,not quit as bad.The drivers side is great where as the passager side sucks.These cars must have all came from the same factory where one guy was doing his job right and the other one was goofing off.As for the post above about me cutting the panel off and having room for the fender to move back, there is plenty of room to work with.As for the question about factory doors and fenders the door is original and the fender is from AMD.
LOL, wait until you go over the whole car, you'll find the rear end is off to the right, the front bumper sits to one side, and ........

Old 15th-November-2012, 11:09 PM   #14
jimr38

Nova(s): 1972 nova
Quote:
Originally Posted by taz3 View Post
LOL, wait until you go over the whole car, you'll find the rear end is off to the right, the front bumper sits to one side, and ........
yeah i guess if its perfect were lookin for these are the wrong cars for that... ha
Old 16th-November-2012, 12:01 AM   #15
Prairie Kid

Nova(s): 68 rolling chassis
to be honest, i would rather have the rear of the door and the quarter line up and not worry with the front part, that, and people dont look at the rocker that much. its more of a purpose part than a style part.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement