shipping a car from the us to canada? - Chevy Nova Forum
Visit our sponsor, National Nostalgic Nova

Steve's Nova Site is an automotive enthusiast website dedicated to the 1962 - 1979 Chevrolet Nova, Chevy II and Acadian automobiles. We work together to preserve, restore, drive, show, race and provide fellowship for these classic cars. This is one of the best places to find information about parts, rebuilding, restoration and racing. This website is not affiliated with GM, General Motors or Chevrolet in any capacity.

Go Back   Chevy Nova Forum > Regional Chevy II/Nova Enthusiasts > Canadian Owners

StevesNovaSite.com is the premier Chevrolet Nova Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 11th-November-2012, 03:58 AM   #1
batman09

Title: Nova Guru
Nova(s): 1967 Ht & 1962 wagon
shipping a car from the us to canada?

whats involved in shipping a car from the usa to canada?On both ends...the buyer and seller?Anybody recommend a shipper?thanks bm

1967 Nova-----Ls3/4L70e
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11th-November-2012, 04:09 AM   #2
luepke75

Nova(s): 63SS,63LR,68
USPS cheapest and easiest.
Old 11th-November-2012, 09:28 AM   #3
MBZTECH

Nova(s): 1971 SS L48 383
Cool

Hey Bruce heres a couple links. We use Reliable carriers on occcasion.What in the Wide Wide World of Sports are you up to? RICK
http://www.auto-transportquotes.com/car-transport.php
http://www.reliable-carriers.com/default.cfm

Last edited by MBZTECH; 11th-November-2012 at 09:31 AM.
Old 11th-November-2012, 09:30 AM   #4
69SS454

Nova(s): "Wild Thing" 1969 SS 496
http://www.tfxinternational.com/

Based in Toronto. I have not personally used them but see their trucks often and they have nice equipment. I hear some companies can make you wait weeks until they have a full load so plan ahead.
Old 11th-November-2012, 09:40 AM   #5
Shane65

Title: Moderator
Nova(s): 1963 wagon 1965 wagon 1
Cost-wise, it's cheaper for the buyer to have the car sent to someplace close to the US/Canada border nearest the buyer. on the US side. The buyer can pick up the car there and import it himself. If he has to hire a company from Canada to fetch the car, then he'd have to do his homework to see if it would be cheaper to have the car sent the whole distance or to the border area then picked up by a Canadian company. Depending on where it's going and when, the weather may alter things. (ie: have the car transported in an enclosed trailer which would be an additional cost.)

I'll assume it's a car 15 years and older: You only have to provide a bill of sale. If the buyer brings the car over the border himself he has to follows the rules of RIV Canada and the rules of US customs depending on the point of entry. RIV Canada have all the info on their website and are very good to talk to for any additional questions. If a company is bring the car across the border they will look after all the paperwork.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/319739...photo-gallery/

Last edited by Shane65; 11th-November-2012 at 09:47 AM.
Old 11th-November-2012, 10:04 AM   #6
Carl Stevenson

As stated, it's not that difficult.

The buyer must get a copy of the title faxed to the border crossing he will be using. The copy must arrive there at least 72 hours before the car is imported.

The buyer will pay any tax/duty that applies including $100 tax if the car has air conditioning.

Don't try cheating on the dollar value. Customs will check out all aspects of the transaction, and I mean ALL. It's not worth it. They will appraise the car if they don't like the dollar value and the penalties are steep if there's any hanky panky. And even if you do cheat and get away with it initially, I know of an instance where the authorities showed up at the buyer's home at a later date and it didn't go well...

When I imported my 67 Nova, I had all my paperwork nicely detailed/in order on a clip board. This included copies of all the emails, anything that related to the transaction. That made it very easy.
Old 11th-November-2012, 10:05 AM   #7
Carl Stevenson

Quote:
Originally Posted by luepke75 View Post
USPS cheapest and easiest.
I'm thinking a car might be a bit too big for USPS!
Old 11th-November-2012, 11:18 AM   #8
Shane65

Nova(s): 1963 wagon 1965 wagon 1
[QUOTE=Carl Stevenson;1960464]

The buyer must get a copy of the title faxed to the border crossing he will be using. The copy must arrive there at least 72 hours before the car is imported.

The buyer will pay any tax/duty that applies including $100 tax if the car has air conditioning.

QUOTE]

Some border crossing in Ontario require the actual title at the US border 72 hours(minimum) in advance and we have a couple of border crossings that won't allow a car to be exported at their crossing(Niagara Falls and Fort Erie). Also be aware that crossings may be limited to their hours and days of operation. Best to check the US border crossing you want to use. It's the US customs that puts these measures in place. Correct on the $100 AC tax. The amount of tax to be paid at the Cnd. border is 5% of the value of the US amount converted to Canadian dollars. This is the federal tax. If there is a provincial tax then it will be paid at the time of registration.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/319739...photo-gallery/
Old 11th-November-2012, 11:58 AM   #9
patman

Nova(s): 1964 Nova SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Stevenson View Post
I'm thinking a car might be a bit too big for USPS!
flat rate. No problem...
Old 11th-November-2012, 09:31 PM   #10
70 Acadian SS

Title: Nova Newbie
Nova(s): 70 Acadian SS
I just bought a 2011 Canyon V8 south of Pittsburg. Mackey transport wanted $2100 to bring it door to door ( Stoney Creek ON) and it would be a few weeks before they could pick up. Truck had to be paid for first. I drove down my self with truck and trailer and picked it up. Paid the guy there and it cost me about $200 for gas, tolls and 13 hours of my time. Go get it yourself and save a few $$$
Old 11th-November-2012, 09:46 PM   #11
65novaken

Nova(s): 65 ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70 Acadian SS View Post
I just bought a 2011 Canyon V8 south of Pittsburg. Mackey transport wanted $2100 to bring it door to door ( Stoney Creek ON) and it would be a few weeks before they could pick up. Truck had to be paid for first. I drove down my self with truck and trailer and picked it up. Paid the guy there and it cost me about $200 for gas, tolls and 13 hours of my time. Go get it yourself and save a few $$$
plus a roadtrip is always a good time.its a win win
Old 11th-November-2012, 10:56 PM   #12
Drummerdalton

Title: Nova Junior Member
Nova(s): '62 Wagon, '63 wagon
Thumbs up

I agree, pick it up yourself, make sure the paperwork is in order and don't try and lie about the purchase price. I just brought a wagon with no drive train over from Montana- they ask how you found the car and will check the ad and compare asking price with sale price!
Old 11th-November-2012, 11:56 PM   #13
1quik69

Nova(s): 1969w/468,1972w/408,
Did you sell the 65 to someone in Canada? It was over $20k when I saw it a couple of days ago.
Old 12th-November-2012, 12:07 AM   #14
Carl Stevenson

[quote=Shane65;1960505]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Stevenson View Post

QUOTE]

Some border crossing in Ontario require the actual title at the US border 72 hours(minimum) in advance and we have a couple of border crossings that won't allow a car to be exported at their crossing(Niagara Falls and Fort Erie). Also be aware that crossings may be limited to their hours and days of operation. Best to check the US border crossing you want to use. It's the US customs that puts these measures in place. Correct on the $100 AC tax. The amount of tax to be paid at the Cnd. border is 5% of the value of the US amount converted to Canadian dollars. This is the federal tax. If there is a provincial tax then it will be paid at the time of registration.
Hmm, that is interesting about the title. I've imported 3 cars, all through the same crossing 25 miles from here and a copy was always fine. I guess it's a matter of interpretation by the crossing staff.

One thing I did each time was to call the border about 1/2 hour after the title was faxed to them to confirm they got it. I recorded the name of the confirming employee in my notes in case there was any argument that it was never faxed when I arrived there.
Old 12th-November-2012, 07:30 AM   #15
70 Acadian SS

Title: Nova Newbie
Nova(s): 70 Acadian SS
the crossing in eastern ontario wants the original title, all the rest need just a copy sent. The Lewiston crossing you can email a copy of the title and they send you a confirmation back that they received it. They ask you bring a copy of the confirmation and the original title when bringing the car back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement