Garage paint jobs? - Chevy Nova Forum
Visit our sponsor, National Nostalgic Nova

Steve's Nova Site is an automotive enthusiast website dedicated to the 1962 - 1979 Chevrolet Nova, Chevy II and Acadian automobiles. We work together to preserve, restore, drive, show, race and provide fellowship for these classic cars. This is one of the best places to find information about parts, rebuilding, restoration and racing. This website is not affiliated with GM, General Motors or Chevrolet in any capacity.

Go Back   Chevy Nova Forum > Body, Chassis and Mechanical > Body and Interior

StevesNovaSite.com is the premier Chevrolet Nova Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 3rd-November-2012, 01:26 PM   #1
Power

Title: Nova Senior Member
Nova(s): 67 Nova
Garage paint jobs?

Who has painted their own cars in their garage or back yard? Lets see them... I have never paint a car but will be painting mine in a few wks. Right now it has a 6 month old paint job that's butternut yellow.. I'll be painting it black! thinking of lining my garage with plastic and going for it! I'm not taking it dow to bare metal just sanding and going for it. I've been watching youtube vids on how to paint in my garage. I told two of my buddies I was going to paint my own car and they said it wouldn't turn out good.. That just pissed me off! Now i'm on a mission! This is what i'm starting with.

Advertisement

Old 3rd-November-2012, 01:42 PM   #2
taz3

Title: Moderator
Nova(s): 2 69 SS BB L78's & 69 4dr
It's a bit tricky and takes some learning, not to knock you, but I'd be surprised if your first paint job meets your own standards. I'm not saying it can't be done, but there are many unseen variables that come into play. I have painted the same car twice and the second time it turned out way better, I sure next season when it gets it 3rd go around, it should be really good. Understanding the gun and flow pattern of the paint are important and practice help a ton. I have no regrets and it was a great learning experience, all you'll lose is the cost of material and your time, so as I thought, why not!

Second time, the paint went on much better this time, knowing what to expect and with some advise from members here also helped a ton. This is base clear and we never bothered to polish it, being a stock car.

First time, you can see the black didn't lay down very well, nor did the red, but the red was 3 stage candy.

Last edited by taz3; 3rd-November-2012 at 01:47 PM.
Old 3rd-November-2012, 02:31 PM   #3
voodeuce

Title: Nova Guru
Nova(s): 67ss 62 moordoor
heres a couple i painted in garages.

check out my build thread for details. link is in my signature. and heres another. i will link the thread for it as well.

http://www.stevesnovasite.com/forums...d.php?t=121901
62 moredoor
Old 3rd-November-2012, 02:33 PM   #4
voodeuce

forgot to mention, in my build thread you will see i built a spray booth out of pvc pipe and visqueen. hope this helps. ronnie
62 moredoor
Old 3rd-November-2012, 02:58 PM   #5
RatNova71

Nova(s): 71 72
Thumbs up

Some of the nicest jobs you will ever see were done by a guy in his garage... just gotta use common sense. Nobody you are paying is going to take the time and pride in YOUR car like YOU would. Your buddies don't know what they are talking about. Here's a couple shots of mine...

1971 & 1972, Other junk projects
http://s1075.photobucket.com/profile...aintshop/index

Last edited by RatNova71; 3rd-November-2012 at 03:00 PM.
Old 3rd-November-2012, 03:00 PM   #6
voodeuce

Quote:
Originally Posted by RatNova71 View Post
Some of the nicest jobs you ever see were done by a guy in his garage... just gotta use common sense. Nobody you are paying is going to take the time and pride in YOUR car like YOU would. Here's a couple shots of mine...

x2 well said. beautiful car RatNova
62 moredoor

Last edited by voodeuce; 3rd-November-2012 at 03:02 PM. Reason: left something out
Old 3rd-November-2012, 03:04 PM   #7
RatNova71

Thumbs up

Get some sanding blocks, a spray gun, and go to town!!

Old 3rd-November-2012, 03:21 PM   #8
rodneypierce

Nova(s): 1965 moredoor
I also plan to shoot mine in my own garage. Will be my first go round at it as well, but figure I can mess it up quite a few times and redo it quite a few times for the price I would have to pay a shop. So why not learn another skill right?
Old 3rd-November-2012, 03:45 PM   #9
Power

Glad to see the support fellas.. I seriously think I am smarter than most of the knuckle heads around here that paint.. So if they can do it so can I .. I just gotta learn right? lol

I just went to Sears to look a compressors.. any suggestions? Same with types of sanders and blocks? I friend said I could use his gun.

I love those paint jobs fellas.
Old 3rd-November-2012, 04:04 PM   #10
RatNova71

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodneypierce View Post
I also plan to shoot mine in my own garage. Will be my first go round at it as well, but figure I can mess it up quite a few times and redo it quite a few times for the price I would have to pay a shop. So why not learn another skill right?
Yep, I know I did... best tip I can give is if youre not sure about something ASK before you do it. Would have saved me time and money, but like you said its a ton cheaper than a shop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Power View Post
Glad to see the support fellas.. I seriously think I am smarter than most of the knuckle heads around here that paint.. So if they can do it so can I .. I just gotta learn right? lol

I just went to Sears to look a compressors.. any suggestions? Same with types of sanders and blocks? I friend said I could use his gun.

I love those paint jobs fellas.
I got mine at Lowes. Its a 60 gallon kobalt upright tank 220V... it can certainly be done with less but the small compressors make alot of heat, which makes water in the air... water+paint=not good. Get the big boy model. Mine was $450 with a coupon.

I sanded my whole car by hand with durablocks and a paintstick wrapped with sandpaper, but I can see where a nice little palm DA would be great for hoods etc. I maybe spent $30 on blocks.

Old 3rd-November-2012, 04:19 PM   #11
Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodeuce View Post

check out my build thread for details. link is in my signature. and heres another. i will link the thread for it as well.

I reading ur thread now... I'm on pg 12 where u are about to take a hammer to it! lol... I'm impressed to say the least!
Old 3rd-November-2012, 04:21 PM   #12
Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodeuce View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by RatNova71 View Post
Yep, I know I did... best tip I can give is if youre not sure about something ASK before you do it. Would have saved me time and money, but like you said its a ton cheaper than a shop.

I got mine at Lowes. Its a 60 gallon kobalt upright tank 220V... it can certainly be done with less but the small compressors make alot of heat, which makes water in the air... water+paint=not good. Get the big boy model. Mine was $450 with a coupon.

I sanded my whole car by hand with durablocks and a paintstick wrapped with sandpaper, but I can see where a nice little palm DA would be great for hoods etc. I maybe spent $30 on blocks.

Rat you paint is so freaking deep dude~! wow is all I can say! You mind giving me a code on the base and clear? I looked at ur bucket account as well. I'm basically starting from scratch with tools but oh well... I'd rather learn this b4 I have someone else do it.
Old 3rd-November-2012, 04:36 PM   #13
RatNova71

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Power View Post
Rat you paint is so freaking deep dude~! wow is all I can say! You mind giving me a code on the base and clear? I looked at ur bucket account as well. I'm basically starting from scratch with tools but oh well... I'd rather learn this b4 I have someone else do it.
Its single stage...no clear. It goes on black and shiny all in one step. Depth has to do with 2 things, color (darker = deeper) and clarity (the smoother the finish the deeper it will look). I put 3 wet coats of paint on the car, probably half of that got sanded/buffed off. Pro painters that are really good can get a finish right out the gun that doesnt need to be buffed, most show cars have buffed paint jobs to get them perfect. Usually when someone paints a car at home there will be some dust that settles on top of the paint, buffing will take care of that. The finish on my car isnt perfect, but there is no dust in it, it all got buffed away.

Old 3rd-November-2012, 04:44 PM   #14
Power

I'm assuming this single stage is easier to shoot? This is not a show.. just a street pro-touring hot rod! I want to drive it, take it to cruise ins etc without worrying who's around my car bc the paint job is perfect... Not saying I want a crappy paint job but I can live with a certain amount of imperfections on my 1st go around.
Old 3rd-November-2012, 04:59 PM   #15
nitroman812

Title: Nova Junior Member
Nova(s): 72 nova rally sky top wit
Agreed about the pride in you car i did mine
It was a metallic two stage and looks sweet im stoked with it

http://[IMG]http://i1256.photobucket....jpg[/IMG]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement