stereo trunk enclosurs/installation - Chevy Nova Forum
Visit our sponsor, National Nostalgic Nova

Steve's Nova Site is an automotive enthusiast website dedicated to the 1962 - 1979 Chevrolet Nova, Chevy II and Acadian automobiles. We work together to preserve, restore, drive, show, race and provide fellowship for these classic cars. This is one of the best places to find information about parts, rebuilding, restoration and racing. This website is not affiliated with GM, General Motors or Chevrolet in any capacity.

Go Back   Chevy Nova Forum > Body, Chassis and Mechanical > Body and Interior

StevesNovaSite.com is the premier Chevrolet Nova Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 25th-October-2012, 11:28 PM   #1
Clarma2

Title: Nova Junior Member
Nova(s): 71 nova
stereo trunk enclosurs/installation

hey guys, i was curious about some ideas with trunk space with a stereo system. i have completed the stereo hook up, but need some ideas about how to make it look nice. here are some pics so far.
http://i1053.photobucket.com/albums/...reo/photo1.jpg

http://i1053.photobucket.com/albums/...reo/photo2.jpg

http://i1053.photobucket.com/albums/...reo/photo3.jpg

http://i1053.photobucket.com/albums/...reo/photo5.jpg

http://i1053.photobucket.com/albums/...reo/photo4.jpg

http://i1053.photobucket.com/albums/...o/photo2-1.jpg

http://i1053.photobucket.com/albums/...o/photo1-1.jpg

Put in a new shift boot and ring, had to make a plate out of some hardborad and then covered it in vinyl.
http://i1053.photobucket.com/albums/...o/photo3-1.jpg

Please post pics!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 25th-October-2012, 11:38 PM   #2
the FLYER

Title: Nova Guru
Nova(s): B Pillar of Society

when posting photobucket images, it makes it easier if we can just view instead of having to click on the link, yeah we're lazy

when viewing your album, move your mouse/cursor over desired image... a small window will pop open, click on the lowest link shown and just paste it into your thread. no other image coding is needed, the site's programming does the rest.
'64 411 377-Tko600-3:73's
'64 469, '63 435 (projects), & '63 469 (my driver)

Videos~Albums
Old 25th-October-2012, 11:43 PM   #3
Clarma2

thankyou! i just figured that out like 1 min ago on another thread! haha, thanks again..
Old 25th-October-2012, 11:45 PM   #4
the FLYER

Nova(s): B Pillar of Society
no problem, happy to have helped... even if i was a minute late. next time i guess i better bust my butt and get on the ball a lil'quicker, huh?
'64 411 377-Tko600-3:73's
'64 469, '63 435 (projects), & '63 469 (my driver)

Videos~Albums
Old 26th-October-2012, 05:23 AM   #5
asteeler4life

Nova(s): 1962 'VERT 1966 SS
WHAT EXACTLY ARE YA TRYIN' TO DO TO THE TRUNK AREA?

62INLINE 6 GROUP
66 NOVA SS COUPE INC.
Old 26th-October-2012, 02:26 PM   #6
Greg Ellis

Title: Nova Senior Member
Nova(s): 2 63 Hard Tops 1 63 Vert
Hey Clarma, how did you attach your wood to the upper part of the rear fender nest to the trunk molding? I want to build some upholstered trim panels for the side of my trunk and I like you wood idea although I was thinking I would weld in some tabs that would receive some type of blind fastener.
Old 26th-October-2012, 02:56 PM   #7
Custom Jim

Nova(s): 1968,1973,1974,1977(Sold)
You could make panels out of masonite or a good multi-ply plywood. To make a template I would get some cardboard and then after fitting it, transfer this to a fresh sheet of masonite of plywood.

If you are going to wrap the panels then figure out how much in from the line you need to cut to where when it's wrapped it won't be too tight to install.
To secure it you could use velcro or speaker grill parts (male and female pins and sockets).

I don't know how you attached the boards or strips of wood to the underside of the trunk lip but on my car and other's customers cars I've cleaned the surface and then used liquid nail to glue the strips to the metal. If it ever needs to be changed the wood can be removed, the glue sanded off, and then the area repainted.

My only concern is while it looks nice to see the sub facing rearward doing this will create problems with the trunk lid moving up and down and creating rattles. Ideally you need to get the sub to fire into the interior and not pressurize the trunk.

As far as the template for the amp side, get a cardboard template going to fit the outside edges and then cut a large hole in the middle larger than what the amp is and then after you get the basic shape use some tape or paper on top of the carboard to fill into the edges of the amp. Trying to do it all at once will be a pain.

Jim
Old 27th-October-2012, 11:24 PM   #8
Custom Jim

I hope you don't mind but I made a short video to give you or anyone an idea as to how to make panel templates for the trunk or wherever.

Jim
Old 27th-October-2012, 11:51 PM   #9
batman09

Nova(s): 1967 Ht & 1962 wagon
just curious....are you drilling all those hles in your trunk pan?

1967 Nova-----Ls3/4L70e
Old 28th-October-2012, 06:54 AM   #10
Fast65

Nova(s): 1963 coupe 1962 sedan
great vid...thanks Custom Jim

Frank
Old 28th-October-2012, 08:06 AM   #11
David&Melissa_h

any finished pics??? this reminds me of Johns handy work. TTFMB
Old 28th-October-2012, 09:43 AM   #12
denniswhurley

Nova(s): 1977 Oldsmobile Omega/Nov
Jim, great vid and instructions... the only thing I would change would be using MDF instead of plywood. I have had some hard hitting systems that would cause the plys to separate and then buzz/rattle. But great vid!
Old 28th-October-2012, 12:37 PM   #13
Custom Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by denniswhurley View Post
Jim, great vid and instructions... the only thing I would change would be using MDF instead of plywood. I have had some hard hitting systems that would cause the plys to separate and then buzz/rattle. But great vid!
I too have seen seperation on some plywoods and the last few years I got away from the less expensive plywoods that were maybe 5-7 plys and gone to a higher dollar 12+ ply plywood for things. The better grades of plywood also have less voids in between the layers. Like anything else you get what you pay for sometimes.

When I'm using 3/4" or 1" thick material for things I will either use a better grade plywood or an MDF. When I'm making thinner things like trim panels and it only needs to be 1/4" thick I will maybe use tempered masonite. I've also found out that if you paint or seal the wood before you cover it the part lasts longer should it become wet at some point. We had a couple of the old projection TV's at work the other day to throw away and it rained and the next day the particle board swelled up and became more brittle.

I have chased a lot of rattles through the years and that's one of the reasons I suggested turning the sub around to fire into the interior of the car. I did a test many, many years ago with an audio control RTA and with the sub firing rearward in a trunk there were frequencies that were 3 to 6dB less than having the sub firing forward and having it properly sealed with a wider and taller front baffle board against the back of the rear seat. I look at subs firing rearward into a trunk cavity like having a home subwoofer in another room of the house. Yes you will hear it but at a reduced volume and if it's in a closet with a door I've had the closet door rattle. To me it's better if you put the sub in the same listening room or have the sub working into the main listening enviroment. It's nice to open a trunk to show off things but when you do so with subs making sound into the trunk it also affects how it then sounds inside the car.

Thanks for the compliments on the video guys. Sometimes you can try and describe things until you are blue in the face but then sometimes a picture brings it all together or make it more meaningful.

Jim
Old 28th-October-2012, 12:40 PM   #14
Clarma2

Hey all sorry I have been working a lot haven't had a chance to reply. We started by using some half inch foam from Home Depot. This helped us make templates for both sides. Lots of Cust and modification, if u can get some type of foam or material that's plyable, your life will be easier. We then took sheets of 3/16 hardboard from Home Depot and traced out template. Used a jig saw to cut it out and it worked perfectly.

I have 7 yards of black vinyl that Scat sent me for free for not having the rear seat cover to match on my procar rally's. so I used a heat gun/3m spray glue and to finish it off really short staples to secure it on the back.

There is a lip where you see the bottom wood prices. We secured them halfway over the lip so each side would have room for the hardboard to fit snug up against it.

With the vinyl attached there isn't anything holding the panels in place. They fit so snug there is no need yet. I'm sure as time goes on they will settle in, by then ill probably use Velcro to snug it up.

We only had time for the side panels, ill post pics here soon.

(Ps. No rattles! Thanks to two packs of extreme dynamat! Haha. Stereo is a jl 10w6v2-d4. Jl spec box, jl500/1, jl 6x9's and 6.5's with a jl 360/4. I installed a kicker iPhone/iPod controller that basically makes my iPhone my deck. We cut out the controller in the center console and resessed it in, along with the back side fir auxiliary and remote bass control. System sounds amazing!
Old 28th-October-2012, 12:53 PM   #15
Clarma2

We used the 3/16 hardboard because there is a lip that is under each side's upper lining of the trunk. the hardboard was a perfect fit with the vinyl to slide up into place to be secure enough without fixating to anything.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement