DrKrazy's 64' 4-Door Family Street Rod build - Chevy Nova Forum
Visit our sponsor, National Nostalgic Nova

Steve's Nova Site is an automotive enthusiast website dedicated to the 1962 - 1979 Chevrolet Nova, Chevy II and Acadian automobiles. We work together to preserve, restore, drive, show, race and provide fellowship for these classic cars. This is one of the best places to find information about parts, rebuilding, restoration and racing. This website is not affiliated with GM, General Motors or Chevrolet in any capacity.

Go Back   Chevy Nova Forum > Non-Technical > 1st & 2nd Generation Chevy II/Nova's

StevesNovaSite.com is the premier Chevrolet Nova Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 11th-October-2012, 11:10 AM   #1
DrKrazy

Title: Nova Junior Member
Nova(s): 1964 Chevy II 4DR
DrKrazy's 64' 4-Door Family Street Rod build

Hey everyone, my family and I are still new to the site but have been reading up on everyone's projects and the invaluable amount of information on this site. I figured even though we've posted around in the introductions, etc that I would start this thread to follow our project into the future. So if you haven't seen it I introduce you to our 64' Chevy II Nova 4-Door family street rod project. We plan on trying to keep her looking fairly original but drive/handle/stop much more like a modern car in the end. Won't be racing, doing pro-touring, or anything, but I will probably end up driving her quite a bit as a half daily driver in the summer times. I just prefer older cars.

We picked her up a couple months ago and have been going non-stop on her since!  She was originally a 6cyl, previous (original) owner stuck a 307 small block in her at some point, otherwise she is totally stock with drum brakes, 2 speed Air cooled power glide, radio delete!, had a fresh (10 year old) original Aqua Azure paint job done (then sat unfinished in a warehouse for a decade), etc, etc, an original Colorado car, and NO RUST!
The day we picked her up from her decade nap sitting in a woodshop warehouse not put back together:

An entire new upholstery set from PUI just sitting in the car, along with just a ton of new parts (weather stripping, most of the original chrome, etc) in the trunk ready to be put back on.

(notice the plates that were on her were from 01')

Fast forward a month or two later, all of her trim (minus the one piece I'm missing) and emblems are back on (dumped the 6cyl tags for some V8 ones though), all the rubber hoses/lines replaced from sitting for so long, lots of mechanical, some of the weather stripping installed, front and rear seats torn down to the springs and done up with all new foam and covers, tons of cleaning a decade of wood dust and grime off her, and even taking her to a Nova only car show! Still years and lots of $$ left to go of course but that's what projects are all about. The family loves having her around and even just running to get ice cream in her. 

What she looks like now:

Front seat recovered

Rear seat recovered, wrinkles all worked out with a day or two in the sun.

Spiffy'd up the engine a bit while replacing gaskets/hoses and putting in some sensors for some temporary gauges (couldn't stand not knowing temp, oil pressure, volts even for just now) until I decide how to do the dash for good.

The cheap and temporary gauge install (I didn't drill any holes! Used stock ones). In trying to stay mostly original I think I'll put in a SS cluster with a tach in the middle...but not 100% sure yet of course.

For now we are still working on installing all the parts that came with the car and making it as road worthy as possible. We will probably go ahead and finish the interior first then move on to upgrading mechanical. She runs and drives great right now but also like a 1964 Nova with V8 power. I have a very well built small block 350 that's pushing near 400hp that will eventually end up in her with a 700r4 (not sure yet) behind it. Really though even that little fairly stock 307 makes that car move impressively. Wife and kids love the car which is great as it is our family street rod, which also means it needs better brakes , steering, and a bit of suspension work too. We are all for the project which of course is why we bought her. We will do our best to keep updating this thread but progress will probably be boring and slow to start.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11th-October-2012, 11:17 AM   #2
Clean 65

Title: Nova Guru
Nova(s): 1965 SS
Welcome to SNS Doc!

Great lookin' ride you got there, it's come a long way in a few months!

Ask lots of questions and take advantage of all the knowledge and expertise here!

Good luck with her!
Old 11th-October-2012, 11:32 AM   #3
Kid63

Nova(s): 1963 Nova SS
Nice ride
Old 11th-October-2012, 11:36 AM   #4
TMack63nova

Nova(s): 1963 Chevy II / Nova Conv
WOW!!! Nice progress with your project!! Keep up the great work!!

Old 11th-October-2012, 12:02 PM   #5
DrKrazy

Thanks everyone, we have a ton more pictures and details of everything we've done. I also know a ton about the history of the car. I just glanced over it so the first post wouldn't be 5 pages long, and it's not much compared to what I have seen on the site so far!
We took it to the Nova Round Up right here in Golden, Colorado last month and it got a ton of attention (a hell of a lot more than what I was expecting for a 4 door). Most common phrase people said to me was something like "My father/grandfather/uncle/etc had a car just like this one!" and then I would get story from their past...it was great really. I'm a car guy, come from a car family, and wife was smart enough to make me sell three of my other car projects to pick the nova up. But hearing stories from people's past that my car brought up was a new experience to me, and made my day at that show.
Here she is at the show...the grey/black gen1 next to me was making me drool all day long (along with lots of other ones at the show)!

Bad pic of the grey/black one that was next to me;

And my wife and I's favorite that was at the show...just gorgeous;
Old 11th-October-2012, 01:30 PM   #6
63LSWagon

Very nice!!
Old 11th-October-2012, 01:40 PM   #7
Tuckin20s

Nova(s): White 63 SS Ls1-4l60
to Steves.it looks like you are well on your way to having one fine Nova.You will not regret doing a 700r4 swap if you choose to do so.

IN GOD WE TRUST
Mike
Link to my 63 Nova
COOL AIN"T NEVER CHEAP OR EASY
Old 12th-October-2012, 01:29 AM   #8
jmcgirr

Title: Nova Newbie
Nova(s): 1963 Chevy II Wagon 4Door
My 63 Wagon

I have a 63 wagon that is pretty much in the same shape yours was. Just wondering what you did to spiff up the engine. I'm just not sure how to go about approaching it. Thanks for any help. Here are some of my pics.

Old 12th-October-2012, 04:59 AM   #9
SWAG

Nova(s): 1967 4 Door Nova 1964 4
Welcome

Very nice I have 2 four doors, a 64 and a 67, I wish I had a V8 in my 64
Old 12th-October-2012, 07:52 AM   #10
67nova73

Nova(s): 73 and a 67 Nova
you did a great job with returning it back to its original state....

the other members, have looking cars also

i wish that mine was that easy to put together.....
Old 12th-October-2012, 09:49 AM   #11
nova65ss

Nova(s): 63 SS Convertible
Awesome car! Really enjoyed the pictures!

My Nova
Old 12th-October-2012, 11:08 AM   #12
ces63ss

Nova(s): 63 nova ss
wow car looks SWEET... throw some 17" rallies and the exterior is done. interior looks great also. what a score.
Old 12th-October-2012, 05:34 PM   #13
DrKrazy

Wow, thanks again everyone for the nice comments. She is a beaut, but of course I am biased as it's our car

jmcgirr - That is a sweet wagon! Even has the back rumble seat, absolutely love it. I had to dismantle a bit of the engine to replace gaskets, hoses, etc...so I cleaned anything I took off (valve covers, accessory brackets, etc) got cleaned/sanded/grinded off down to bare metal and repainted the required chevy orange...also taped off the block a bit (not as much as I should have) and got that too....rest was all simple cleaning with rags, cleaner, and elbow grease.
Good tip for anyone who doesn't know it, absolute must for chrome lovers - clean your chrome with 0000 grade steel wool and soapy water. Works great and won't scratch it, just don't use it on your paint!

ces63ss - My older brother actually has a set of rallies that he had made for his 63 wagon (build in progress), the rears are custom and rather wide (won't fit without some sort of lift in the back, air-shocks/shackles/etc, he even had to roll his rear fenders a tad) as his ride is being built for a different purpose but still would be nice. I can have them if I want, just need to go get the rears off the car that's at my brother-in-laws paint shop (my wife's brother). He swapped to thrust wheels after having the rallies made...LOL Yea we are a car family on both sides. So yea rallies are technically on my mind

Update;
New battery tray arrived today along with some of the rubber gromets the body was still missing, have to decide on final carpet color and get that ordered (and decide where from). Along with lots of sound deadner before any carpet/headliner goes in, even the teeny dual exhaust is a bit loud inside and it's fairly normal...once the bigger engine and better exhaust is on I'll want all the sound deadening we can get inside! Still got to order Arm rests, light cover, new dash pad (actually have a brand new one in it's packaging but it's black...I want Aqua ), package tray, Steering wheel chrome/horn part that is broken, few other misc things and the interior will be mostly done after I have professional install the headliner. Oh and I need to install rear seat belts!

Still deciding on stereo, I have to have my tunes but actually love the fact this car has the radio delete. Might just install one of the hidden systems for that fact. Also still deciding the whole gauge thing....I want it all in the dash looking mostly factory...but some of the aftermarket complete replacements look really really good too. DAMN the choices!

Last edited by DrKrazy; 12th-October-2012 at 05:43 PM.
Old 13th-October-2012, 10:14 AM   #14
Craigert

I welcome you and your family too.

Hahaha, even here you can get the ol' 4 dr I had stories. I started with My Grandma's car, a 63 300 series. Long fond memories with three on the tree and sticking shift linkage. Ouch!

Anyway welcome and what a great car you have! I have always loved the Azure Aqua.
Old 14th-October-2012, 02:12 PM   #15
asteeler4life

Nova(s): 1962 'VERT 1966 SS
NICE RIDE YA GOTS THERE! I'M TRYIN' TO FIND A '65 MOREDOOR FOR MYSELF! YOU'VE DONE WELL!

62INLINE 6 GROUP
66 NOVA SS COUPE INC.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement