72 owners, Seat belts - Chevy Nova Forum
Visit our sponsor, National Nostalgic Nova
 
Steve's Nova Site is an automotive enthusiast website dedicated to the 1962 - 1979 Chevrolet Nova, Chevy II and Acadian automobiles. We work together to preserve, restore, drive, show, race and provide fellowship for these classic cars. This is one of the best places to find information about parts, rebuilding, restoration and racing. This website is not affiliated with GM, General Motors or Chevrolet in any capacity.

Go Back   Chevy Nova Forum > Body, Chassis and Mechanical > Body and Interior


StevesNovaSite.com is the premier Chevrolet Nova Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 6th-July-2012, 06:53 PM   #1
thegrappler
 
thegrappler's Avatar

Title: Nova Senior Member
iTrader: (0)
Status: Online
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Minneapolis
Nova(s): 72 Nova 454 Th400 Skyroof
Posts: 338
72 owners, Seat belts

I have a 72 Nova with the front seat belts missing, the shoulder belt is there tucked up above the windows. The rear seat belts are still there and has 2 retractors. on these 2 rear retractors are the slots for a shoulder belt button to hook in to. Obviously there is no shoulder belt for the rear seats, so are the rear retractors the same as the front? is there even supposed to be rear retractors? maybe someone just moved them back there? maybe they just use the same tongue?
  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 6th-July-2012, 07:06 PM   #2
72Orange
 
72Orange's Avatar

Title: Nova Guru
iTrader: (14)
Status: Offline
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Central Jersey
Nova(s): 1972, 383, Vortec Heads
Posts: 2,542
The front and rear retractors are completely different. I wonder if for some reason the rear retractors were missing or broken and someone took the front retractors and put them in the back. Maybe to keep their children riding in the back safe?
  Reply With Quote
Old 6th-July-2012, 08:27 PM   #3
zeppelin5000
 
zeppelin5000's Avatar

Title: Nova Guru
iTrader: (1)
Status: Offline
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Missouri
Nova(s): 1972 Chevy Nova
Posts: 733
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegrappler View Post
I have a 72 Nova with the front seat belts missing, the shoulder belt is there tucked up above the windows. The rear seat belts are still there and has 2 retractors. on these 2 rear retractors are the slots for a shoulder belt button to hook in to. Obviously there is no shoulder belt for the rear seats, so are the rear retractors the same as the front? is there even supposed to be rear retractors? maybe someone just moved them back there? maybe they just use the same tongue?
I had similar issues with my '72's seat belts. I also noticed that my rear belts have the slot on the tongues. No idea why since there aren't any shoulder belts back there, but I'm pretty sure those are original and that's just how they came. Is this what you have? Sorry if the angle isn't all that good!


As far as the front belts, I think what you'll need is RCF-67 buckles/retractors. These should fit your shoulder harnesses. These are what I have in my car. They seem like they are a bit hard to find, but with the right info, it should be easier Your best bet will probably be Ebay.



This is them installed in my Nova
  Reply With Quote
Old 6th-July-2012, 10:40 PM   #4
thegrappler
 
thegrappler's Avatar

Title: Nova Senior Member
iTrader: (0)
Status: Online
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Minneapolis
Nova(s): 72 Nova 454 Th400 Skyroof
Posts: 338
My car was a drag car at one time, so Im assuming it had racing seats/harness,
and I think that's why there missing.
Heres pics of my rear belts and retractor. they dont look anything like your photos. so mine must be original rear only.


  Reply With Quote
Old 6th-July-2012, 11:14 PM   #5
PCPete
 
PCPete's Avatar

Title: Nova Guru
iTrader: (0)
Status: Offline
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Mukilteo, WA
Nova(s): '72 Nova 383/TH350
Posts: 988
Looks odd

My 72 was built in October of 71 and had 71 belts in it. That said, and given the condition of them, I have no reason to think they were not original. There were no retractors or shoulder belts in my car.
There were bunches of after market retractor kits and lots of folks modified/replaced the originals with ones that retracted, so I'm thinking the set you have are not original to the car - unless GM had an option for the retractor belts or changed to add that feature after my car was built.
__________________
Pete
http://s1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee490/pcpete1/
'lo ocifer, it's run what ya brung. Got a beer?
  Reply With Quote
Old 6th-July-2012, 11:41 PM   #6
zeppelin5000
 
zeppelin5000's Avatar

Title: Nova Guru
iTrader: (1)
Status: Offline
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Missouri
Nova(s): 1972 Chevy Nova
Posts: 733
It looks like I have the exact same rear belts in my car. Is it just a coincidence that we both have the same belts?? This leads me to believe that these came from the factory in both our cars. Here is a better photo of my rear belts:


Is this like the shoulder harness you have in your car?


Here is another photo of my front seat belts. I'm not positive what came from the factory in the front seat for my car, but the previous owner installed the shoulder belts and the retractors. For some reason, he didn't complete the assembly and left out the buckles (female ends). I had to scour the internet looking for what I needed and finally found what you see here.
  Reply With Quote
Old 7th-July-2012, 01:39 AM   #7
thegrappler
 
thegrappler's Avatar

Title: Nova Senior Member
iTrader: (0)
Status: Online
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Minneapolis
Nova(s): 72 Nova 454 Th400 Skyroof
Posts: 338
Yes thats exactly the shoulder harness that I have, my rear buckles match also. do you have a side pic of the front retractors? Hey thanx for posting these, I think our 72s may be exclusive to 72. Ilooked on ebay and found nothing, I checked Classic, Yearone and J&W and found nothing. hopefully I can find someone parting out a 72.
  Reply With Quote
Old 7th-July-2012, 02:16 AM   #8
cdahl383
 
cdahl383's Avatar

Title: Nova Guru
iTrader: (0)
Status: Offline
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Detroit, MI
Nova(s): 1972 Nova
Posts: 2,962
Wow, I have a 1972 Nova myself and my seat belts look way different than the pictures above. I dont have retractors at all. The buckle part is fixed in length, and the part it clicks into is the adjustable part. They are the same all around, front and back, lap belt and shoulder belt.

I wonder why mine are different that what everyone else seems to have?

Wish I could help you out, but looks like I learned something new about my own car with this one. Good luck finding the right parts, looks like there are different options out there apparently.
__________________
Carl
1972 Chevy Nova owned since I was 15 yrs old
12.40 @ 110.8 mph
"Enjoy the journey"
  Reply With Quote
Old 7th-July-2012, 11:51 AM   #9
zeppelin5000
 
zeppelin5000's Avatar

Title: Nova Guru
iTrader: (1)
Status: Offline
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Missouri
Nova(s): 1972 Chevy Nova
Posts: 733
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegrappler View Post
Yes thats exactly the shoulder harness that I have, my rear buckles match also. do you have a side pic of the front retractors? Hey thanx for posting these, I think our 72s may be exclusive to 72. Ilooked on ebay and found nothing, I checked Classic, Yearone and J&W and found nothing. hopefully I can find someone parting out a 72.
Those retractors in that second photo I originally posted will match up with the shoulder belts you have. They are RCF-67 tongues. Here is another photo.

Like I was saying, Your best bet will be Ebay. I don't believe anyone makes reproductions of these. I've never seen them on any aftermarket parts sites. Include RCF-67 in some of your searches, that can narrow it down. The guy I got them from on Ebay is named trimmer812. See if you can contact him because he is always selling old seat belts like these and seems to have some good knowledge on them
  Reply With Quote
Old 7th-July-2012, 12:59 PM   #10
thegrappler
 
thegrappler's Avatar

Title: Nova Senior Member
iTrader: (0)
Status: Online
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Minneapolis
Nova(s): 72 Nova 454 Th400 Skyroof
Posts: 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeppelin5000 View Post
Those retractors in that second photo I originally posted will match up with the shoulder belts you have. They are RCF-67 tongues. Here is another photo.

Like I was saying, Your best bet will be Ebay. I don't believe anyone makes reproductions of these. I've never seen them on any aftermarket parts sites. Include RCF-67 in some of your searches, that can narrow it down. The guy I got them from on Ebay is named trimmer812. See if you can contact him because he is always selling old seat belts like these and seems to have some good knowledge on them
You did post pics of the retractors earlier, I guess I was having a brain fart
I will look for those, thanx
  Reply With Quote
Old 7th-July-2012, 01:07 PM   #11
MBZTECH
 
MBZTECH's Avatar

Title: Nova Guru
iTrader: (7)
Status: Offline
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Down So Cal way
Nova(s): 1971 SS L48 383
Posts: 2,106
Cool

You can always go this route. Much nicer looking and safer. RICK
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MRS-MCSB7581R-BK/
  Reply With Quote
Old 17th-July-2012, 03:40 AM   #12
thegrappler
 
thegrappler's Avatar

Title: Nova Senior Member
iTrader: (0)
Status: Online
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Minneapolis
Nova(s): 72 Nova 454 Th400 Skyroof
Posts: 338
Well I found a set on Ebay and I was the lucky sucker the paid thru the nose, but I got a em, they were listed for 72 chevelle etc but I think they are the same, I didnt realize how rare they are. thanx zepplin and all who replied. It seems the 72 Nova came with standard belts ( the kind you pull tight to adjust) and Deluxe belts with retractors and a separate shoulder strap that hooks to the buckle. I could have gotten a set of lap belts and called it a day but wanted the original style so I could utilize the shoulder strap.


Last edited by thegrappler; 17th-July-2012 at 03:50 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 17th-July-2012, 04:27 AM   #13
thegrappler
 
thegrappler's Avatar

Title: Nova Senior Member
iTrader: (0)
Status: Online
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Minneapolis
Nova(s): 72 Nova 454 Th400 Skyroof
Posts: 338
Well, I just happen to stumble upon some more pics of 72 Nova seat belts, and these appear to be the original style.

  Reply With Quote
Old 18th-July-2012, 02:19 PM   #14
zeppelin5000
 
zeppelin5000's Avatar

Title: Nova Guru
iTrader: (1)
Status: Offline
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Missouri
Nova(s): 1972 Chevy Nova
Posts: 733
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegrappler View Post
Well I found a set on Ebay and I was the lucky sucker the paid thru the nose, but I got a em, they were listed for 72 chevelle etc but I think they are the same, I didnt realize how rare they are. thanx zepplin and all who replied. It seems the 72 Nova came with standard belts ( the kind you pull tight to adjust) and Deluxe belts with retractors and a separate shoulder strap that hooks to the buckle. I could have gotten a set of lap belts and called it a day but wanted the original style so I could utilize the shoulder strap.


Glad you found some! I had the same thinking as you. I could have just bought the standard belts, but I wanted to utilize the already installed shoulder belt
  Reply With Quote
Old 18th-July-2012, 02:43 PM   #15
thegrappler
 
thegrappler's Avatar

Title: Nova Senior Member
iTrader: (0)
Status: Online
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Minneapolis
Nova(s): 72 Nova 454 Th400 Skyroof
Posts: 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeppelin5000 View Post
Glad you found some! I had the same thinking as you. I could have just bought the standard belts, but I wanted to utilize the already installed shoulder belt
Ditto, I like all the Nova features, My car will never be completely stock or all original, but I like a "stockish" appearance, Ths wheels will be aftermarket along with a tach and a few other dodads.
  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Seat Belts???? Cbro Drag Racing Forum 8 8th-December-2010 06:21 PM
3 Point Seat Belts On A Bench Seat? Kev1 Body and Interior 5 14th-February-2010 07:12 PM
3 point seat belts in the back seat EJones 1st & 2nd Generation Chevy II/Nova's 1 3rd-August-2008 06:14 PM
Seat Belts RallyNova Body and Interior 1 27th-March-2006 08:59 PM


Site best viewed set to 1024 x 768.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:52 AM.

Custom Designed for Steve's Nova Site by: vBSkinworks

 
Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Lt

Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.