Story: 63 Nova salvage - Chevy Nova Forum
Visit our sponsor, National Nostalgic Nova

Steve's Nova Site is an automotive enthusiast website dedicated to the 1962 - 1979 Chevrolet Nova, Chevy II and Acadian automobiles. We work together to preserve, restore, drive, show, race and provide fellowship for these classic cars. This is one of the best places to find information about parts, rebuilding, restoration and racing. This website is not affiliated with GM, General Motors or Chevrolet in any capacity.

Go Back   Chevy Nova Forum > Non-Technical > 1st & 2nd Generation Chevy II/Nova's

StevesNovaSite.com is the premier Chevrolet Nova Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 12th-June-2012, 03:28 PM   #1
Fredsgarage

Title: Nova Guru
Nova(s): 65 Coupe 63 Mo-Door
Story: 63 Nova salvage

New Bloomfield, Missouri, June 2012

This 63 series 400 had been sitting on my Father-in-Law's best friends' property for 23 years. It's actually a funny story how it ended up in the backwoods.

Back in 1989 it was meant as a surprise 16th Birthday gift for my wife. Her Dad had bought it off a lot (cheap) cause it had needed ball joints real bad, so he got a deal, towed it home and worked on it with his friend Lester and prepared it for his loving daughter.
The story gets good here..cause my wife HATED the color and the fact it was a four door and that if he was going to buy his Only Daughter a car shouldn't he take her to see it first? She called it a Brown Turd Car and refused to ever drive it. EVER!
Her Dad was so mad that he drove it over to his friends house and drove it into the backwoods along side some old trucks that were sitting there.
Over 20 years later it's all forgotten about. Her Dad knows I love Nova's and he and I go to visit Lester, just to say hello. Stories are going around about the various cars on his 40 acres (there are many) and they bring up the Nova.
NOVA? Nova, I say? Where is it? The laughs continue until we finally make it down to the end of the field and sure enough there it is.
I would like to tell you I pulled it out of there immediately, but it has actually taken me years to get this done. I don't live in Missouri and this has taken some time. WE had to run a tractor down to the site and back just to clear the brush and things that were in the way.
WE spent the best part of the first day dragging it out of there, hampered by 13 inch tires that would only hold air for 5 minutes. At least they held some air at all These are the old trucks that it sat next to. The GMC 3100 is suppose to be mine if I want it. (sigh) I love these folks, they don't throw vehicles away, they just park them somewhere.
We finally got the car to a clearing and I discovered that both Mice and a SNAKE had lived in there...Big YUCK!
Cool thing upon inspection is that It's a factory AC car, automatic, manual brakes, manual steering with 2 speed window washer. It's the Nova 400 series according to my personal expert Nova Joe.
Here comes the fun part...Now we had to move it 8 miles away. AND Meanwhile we are suppose to be helping out with a pending Family reunion party, Oopops!
SOOOOoooo... It took two days to borrow a truck and trailer and get it to Ed's (Holly's Dad) farm, but we trailered it there, unloaded it a secure place and then worked on cleaning it up as best as we could. Shop Vac, Windex, Chrome Polish, WD-40, insect repellent and whatever i could borrow and for now its at least presentable.
The interior has rotten seats and carpet so that had to go right away, the wiring is suspect, the floor plan needs a complete replacement. BUT YOU KNOW WHAT? I DONT CARE. It will be hauled out here to Nor Cal eventually and I will gut it and start over. Boy I love a challenge!!!
Here it is washed up (some) and sitting on blocks. All the glass is there, all the windows work, its like it WAS IN A TIME CAPSULE ...that had a small leak...LOL
Beyond the sentimental value here, (the car my wife never wanted) it is a really cool car and mostly all there except the floorboards. The Body is straight, quarter panels a little rusty, trim is all there and I even found a new carb in the back seat in a box.
I think I will take a suggestion by our friend Joe and get it running first AND then drive it "as is" with patina and all! Got to first replace the floorpan, carpet, door panels and headliner, see what else it needs, Hey maybe a V8?
In any case it is going to be a fun project and another Nova saved from certain death.

James

Last edited by Fredsgarage; 14th-June-2012 at 04:05 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12th-June-2012, 03:34 PM   #2
srfwagn

Nova(s): '65 Wagon
So does this mean you are gonna' trailer it home?
Old 12th-June-2012, 05:46 PM   #3
Nova 404

Title: Supporting Vendor
Nova(s): 1967 Nova SS
Cool story
Old 12th-June-2012, 05:52 PM   #4
Ricky B

Nova(s): ~'63 wagon~
Very cool story, I have family in Mo.!

Mark 10:27 !
Old 12th-June-2012, 06:20 PM   #5
Fredsgarage

Trailer King

Yes. At some point we will figure out how to trailer it home. Maybe take Route 66? Im sure that will be a story too.
Named him Rusty for now. Ha ha. Next time out there I will work on the motor and install a new carb, change all the fluids and see if I can light a fire in the 194? (Could be a 230 I suppose). I suppose i could ship this new floor pan directly to MO.
Cant wait to get back to it. Cause All i got done before i left was strip out the nasty headliner, rear seat cover and carpet, and washed it up.
I also just shipped a box of parts to Ed to hold in case I need them for it.

All in All I will say that it was a blast going into the backwoods and pullin this little deuce out of there.

Hey Ricky you up for a Road Trip?

Last edited by Fredsgarage; 14th-June-2012 at 04:07 PM.
Old 12th-June-2012, 07:26 PM   #6
Exlimey

Title: Moderator
Nova(s): 67 4 door, 65 wagon
So what does your wife think? Will she change her mind and finally drive it? Will you let her?
Lucille
Old 12th-June-2012, 07:45 PM   #7
CRJ

Title: Nova Junior Member
Nova(s): 1963 coupe 1963 ragtop
I see it has factory A/C. Cool!
Old 12th-June-2012, 07:48 PM   #8
novavetteguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exlimey View Post
So what does your wife think? Will she change her mind and finally drive it? Will you let her?
Cool story! Thanks for the pics!

I am surprised that your wife never mentioned it, especially being married to a "Nova guy".

63 Wagon 3 Seats 327/700R4(SOLD)
61 Corvette 283/270HP 2-4s 4spd (SOLD)

63 'Vert "Updated"
Old 12th-June-2012, 07:49 PM   #9
novanutcase

Title: Moderator
I wonder what your wife will say once the car is done.

John

http://www.stevesnovasite.com/forums...ad.php?t=78088
Old 12th-June-2012, 07:59 PM   #10
Fredsgarage

Holly completely forgot about the car, she thought her Dad sold it back in 89. Out of site out of mind for all.

Its got Factory Air, Window Washer, Manual Brakes is as much as i know right now.

My Wife Holly already admits she made a big mistake not taking this car! She was all for rescuing it. Today She thinks it is SOooo cool and wants me to drop a V8 in it and make it a Sleeper. Okay..well at least to get it running again.

Well I guess she was 16 and Sassy then.
So Back then Her Old Man fixed her by throwing the her the keys to his old 69 F150 six banger with 3 in the tree and said "you can drive this or nothing"! She drove the hell out of that Truck they say.
She even talked Daddy into converting the truck to a floor shifter and later picked up the nickname "HotRod" after going sideways on a dirt road and cleaning out two mailboxes!

Ah Youth!

Last edited by Fredsgarage; 13th-June-2012 at 03:23 PM. Reason: MO-Door
Old 13th-June-2012, 01:51 PM   #11
Fredsgarage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exlimey View Post
Holly swears she loves the car now. She says she will drive it if it gets cleaned up real good, that's real real good and we put disc brakes and good suspension on it. Maybe get the AC working agin would be cool too.
Along with that I plan to swap over the factory power steering from my 65 to add easy steering and more accessories to this car.
Old 13th-June-2012, 02:16 PM   #12
Nik_95cobra

Man that's bad-arse. I'd love a 4-door with that type of patina to make my daily driver. Cool story too, good luck with it!

1962 Chevy II - 1995 SVT Cobra
Old 13th-June-2012, 02:44 PM   #13
Ricky B

Nova(s): ~'63 wagon~
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik_95cobra View Post
Man that's bad-arse. I'd love a 4-door with that type of patina to make my daily driver. Cool story too, good luck with it!
It'll buff out...... Looks like it has a big block under it too. Holly would dig it James !!!

Mark 10:27 !
Old 13th-June-2012, 04:37 PM   #14
Martin71RS

Title: Nova Junior Member
Nova(s): 62 4door
cool story, another 4door will be saved
Old 13th-June-2012, 06:16 PM   #15
Rich_1028

Nova(s): 1966 Sedan
great story!!
Sponsored Links