77 Malibu Rallye Nova from mexico - Chevy Nova Forum
Visit our sponsor, National Nostalgic Nova

Steve's Nova Site is an automotive enthusiast website dedicated to the 1962 - 1979 Chevrolet Nova, Chevy II and Acadian automobiles. We work together to preserve, restore, drive, show, race and provide fellowship for these classic cars. This is one of the best places to find information about parts, rebuilding, restoration and racing. This website is not affiliated with GM, General Motors or Chevrolet in any capacity.

Go Back   Chevy Nova Forum > General > Member Introductions

StevesNovaSite.com is the premier Chevrolet Nova Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 16th-February-2012, 02:06 AM   #1
dlezama

Title: Nova Guru
Nova(s): 76Concours 77MalibuRally
77 Malibu Rallye Nova from mexico

Sorry guys! I'm posting the following pics of my 99% factory original 77 Malibu Rallye, a special Mexican run of cars, just restored. More details on the car later, its real late but I am impatient to show the pics. I hope I understood the instructions correctly. My best to you guys
Daniel

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 16th-February-2012, 02:15 AM   #2
dlezama

Hi:
I thought I'd maybe botched my intro, friends, but Its late and I am quite tired! Let me say that Ive promised these pics for over a year but hadnt really gotten into the process of uploading and such. I am really bad at this computer stuff. Thanks for encouraging me and being patient with me.

I hope you enjoy the result of this resto of an unusual car. I will give you more details soon, but this has been my dream car for most of my life. I purchased the disassembled 77 Malibu Rallye Hatchback with maybe only 12,000 original miles, and undertook a year long restoration to its original factory specs. More on that later. I just would like to say that I was inspired by you guys long before I bought this car, when I was working in my 76 Concours.

My best to you!!
Daniel
Old 16th-February-2012, 02:58 AM   #3
LMH

Nova(s): 1972 Nova
Welcome and the car looks great. Always like the original type restorations. Congratulations on getting it done( LIKE IT'S EVER DONE ).
Old 16th-February-2012, 08:27 AM   #4
edrednova

Nova(s): 1977 chevy nova
First off I hate you! great job on the car!!i love those wheels.
Old 16th-February-2012, 10:17 AM   #5
RumpRat

Nova(s): '72 Pro-Street SS Clone
Welcome to SNS!! That's a very nice Malibu/Nova. Really sharp looking. I think you did a great job.
Old 16th-February-2012, 12:20 PM   #6
dlezama

Thanks to all you guys!! More details on this car. In Mexico all 2dr 4th gen Novas were hatchbacks, and usually had L6 engines. In the 60s Chevrolet was an underdog then in Mexico, and only Fords had permission to use V8 engines. In the mid seventies things started to change. The "Malibu Rallye" edition of 77 and 78 was a complete package featuring the following standard options. The only actual option available for the customer to check was AC or no AC. Very few cars were badged as such, estimated at maybe 750 or so for 77, and a 1000 or so for 78. Numbers are not easy to come about in Mexico.

14 inch Kelsey Hayes "Constellation" wheels with sport lug nuts, made in Mexico, with specific factory bowtie centercaps.
BF Goodrich TA White letter radials in ER70x14 size
Decal set
350 V8 engine (no other avail.)
55 amp GM Echlin alternator
HD radiator with overflow deposit
Tremec 4 spd manual trans (no automatics avail.)
Hurst shifter and console
3.07 ratio differential
Power steering
Power brakes with front discs
Gas cap with key
Monza sport steering wheel w/bowtie badge
Dual sport mirrors with remote LH side
Body-color painted door glass frames and quarter glass moldings
Deluxe bumper guards
Rally grille and blackout bezels
Shadowed windshield
Standard bucket seats with color-matching cloth inserts
Full gauges with 200 kph speedo
Ashtray light
AM radio, Motorola brand
3-point seatbelts in front seats with English-language adjusters, none in back seat
Tool bag
Bag with regular nuts for spare tire

Unlike US cars, Mexican cars didnt use a catalyst until 1991. Also, all Nova bumpers lack reinforcement bars and the bumper shock absorbers, which is a grave omission in my opinion. No vehicle ID on the dash, it was manually etched in the top of the firewall, no VIN plate. Other differences with the US version include ID plates in the door jamb, the door panels are dielectrically etched padded vynil instead of rigid (or sewn, as the new repros). No dual rear exhausts available. No pulse wiper available. Some cars Ive seen with tinted glass, but mine is clear with the shadowed windshield. No tilt wheel available, but I set one up from a US Nova, as I'm tall. The 75-79 Novas were all Hatchbacks in Mexico, and used a large cargo-floor jack usage sticker similar to the one in US 73-74 Novas, but in Spanish and with the drawing of the 4th gen fascia and rear. My girlfriend reproduced it for me in Photoshop and I made the stickers. I still have lots of work pending with other unavailable stickers in Spanish.

In my resto, departures from original:

For economy reasons, all Malibus were built with black dash bezel, black steering wheel, black console and black door handle bezels. I changed them all to Firethorn. The black plastic console tray I painted dark gray primer with flat transparent enamel. The wheel is a Burgundy red wheel I found on Ebay, left original color.

I was unable to find any samples of original red and black plaid cloth for the seat inserts, so I switched to the US vinyl pattern in Firethorn. The PUI brand covers were way off for the front buckets (fit horribly), so my upholstery guy had to redo most of them using the material.

Red side stripes were not available in 77, but I went ahead anyway. Original stripes were probably gold, as other white Malibus I've seen.

The Mexican-made Kelsey wheels originally have chrome beds and no trim rings. 3 of my chrome beds were pitted, and removing them for chroming compromises the air seal at the rivets. I decided on Chevelle trim rings that give it a very 70's look in my opinion. The KH wheels have a Malibu-Rallye specific Mexico-only cap with an anodized black background and a silver bowtie emblem with a thin extra outline. These are incredibly difficult to get by.

A few things about the resto. The car had been disassembled for paint, primered and abandoned since 1991, until last year. Parts were strewn all over the owner's autoshop. Fortunately, the car was protected by a roof but the front was open to the elements. I had dog fleas, rat droppings, mold, and tons of crap everywhere. The engine started readily with a gas can. The odometer reads 20,000 kms (about 12000 miles), and many signs indicate they are very probably original. The car might have been very neglected before and after disassembly, but was mechanically new. The interior doesnt show any significant wear either. Doors open and close like new. The factory hatch struts still hold the heavy lid perfectly. Malibu Rallyes were usually run hard into the ground for street or quarter-mile. The engine on this one is factory original and unopened, and the drivetrain is sound. The rad hoses were factory, and the upper one actually is dated Feb. 77 and has the original check mark in grease pencil (visible in photo!).

The body was bared, detailed and primed with Sikkens filler primer. The shop used Sikkens polyurethane paint for exterior, and for interior, the dash and hatch. The front was disassembled and one front fender replaced, with the wheelwells, rad support and cowl redone entirely in semi-gloss black. Hood hinges were found to be factory powdercoated in gray, and sprayed in matte clear. The engine is unopened, in perfect working order, and I resprayed it by hand when the fenders were off. Runs very strong now. Painted tranny as well. The car has a new gas tank, sprayed in clear, and a redone OEM exhaust system with clamps. Interior plastic was restored and resprayed in same Sikkens base lacquer. The headliner is a miracle survivor, painted perforated conglomerate. All six glass pieces were replaced by NORS parts, some pretty hard to find, such as the backlight. The crowning jewel is a NOS Rally grille!! After years of fruitlessly searching the net, I met a guy by chance at a stoplight here in Mexico who had a US-sourced one and sold it to me for 280 dollars!!!

Daniel
Old 16th-February-2012, 12:39 PM   #7
dlezama

Some original Mexican brochure ads!

And for 78

Thanks for your interest!
Daniel
Old 16th-February-2012, 01:55 PM   #8
rquad

Nova(s): 1974
Your car

You've done an excellent job of putting your car together. I hope you enjoy it for many years to come.
Old 16th-February-2012, 01:59 PM   #9
77-427-5sp

Nova(s): 1977 nova bb 427 5sp tko
wow that is nice !!!!
Old 16th-February-2012, 02:51 PM   #10
asteeler4life

Nova(s): 1962 'VERT 1966 SS
TO SNS, DANIEL

YOUR CAR LOOKS SPECTACULAR, NICE RESTORE JOB!

DON'T BE A STRANGER, JOIN IN ON THE FUN! GLAD TO HAVE YOU WITH US!

62INLINE 6 GROUP
66 NOVA SS COUPE INC.
Old 16th-February-2012, 03:47 PM   #11
sbc1320

Nova(s): Working on it
A beautiful car and some very nice work doing the restoration. You had better hide that one from Phillip.
Old 16th-February-2012, 08:41 PM   #12
dlezama

Now that's a compliment! Ive followed Phillip's work on his car for years and he has been such an inspiration. He did a fantastic restomod! Plus the great way he shared every step of the process with us.

All these years, all the few and far between Malibu Rallyes Ive seen are completely modified, or trashed and often unrecognizeable. When I realized my car was so original I knew I had to go for the full factory resto. It might possibly be the lowest mileage unit left... Im glad it came out well. Guys between 45 and 60 remember this special model well, and it's a street racing legend of the late seventies. Of course, we're talking a country where very few cars were ever allowed to be built with v8 engines, let alone big blocks. 60's imports could come in with Hemis or 400+ blocks but they werent locally backed by dealerships, and would usually ended up busted and abandoned by the rich who were able to buy them in the first place.

Sporty Mexican-built cars of the mid seventies, on the other hand, are the stuff of legend here and many were local packages, such as the Malibu Rallye, the Mustang Mach I or the 76-78 SuperBee with a 380 engine, or even the memorable AMC (VAM) Rally AMX SC/06 with a local hi-comp 282 6 and a 4-bbl.

BTW, I am still working on my first car, a (Mexican) 76 Nova Concours that Ive restored and repainted several times. I'm close to bringing it to the configuration it deserves, and will be posting stuff on it soon...

Daniel
Old 16th-February-2012, 08:49 PM   #13
DERYL ATANASU

Title: Nova Senior Member
Nova(s): 76' NOVA SS 383/tko500
All I can say is, (SWEET)!

quickest 4th gen in Fairfield CA
12.07@116
Old 16th-February-2012, 08:56 PM   #14
ProNova

Nova(s): 1976 Pro Street SS clone
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlezama View Post
Now that's a compliment! Ive followed Phillip's work on his car for years and he has been such an inspiration. He did a fantastic restomod! Plus the great way he shared every step of the process with us.

All these years, all the few and far between Malibu Rallyes Ive seen are completely modified, or trashed and often unrecognizeable. When I realized my car was so original I knew I had to go for the full factory resto. It might possibly be the lowest mileage unit left... Im glad it came out well. Guys between 45 and 60 remember this special model well, and it's a street racing legend of the late seventies. Of course, we're talking a country where very few cars were ever allowed to be built with v8 engines, let alone big blocks. 60's imports could come in with Hemis or 400+ blocks but they werent locally backed by dealerships, and would usually ended up busted and abandoned by the rich who were able to buy them in the first place.

Sporty Mexican-built cars of the mid seventies, on the other hand, are the stuff of legend here and many were local packages, such as the Malibu Rallye, the Mustang Mach I or the 76-78 SuperBee with a 380 engine, or even the memorable AMC (VAM) Rally AMX SC/06 with a local hi-comp 282 6 and a 4-bbl.

BTW, I am still working on my first car, a (Mexican) 76 Nova Concours that Ive restored and repainted several times. I'm close to bringing it to the configuration it deserves, and will be posting stuff on it soon...

Daniel
I love it very nice, But I am confused, are they Malibus in Mexico? but you said you have a 76 Nova, Please very interested about the names. Oh and welcome to the site even if you have been here since 2010
Bruce NNN Member #41221 Prostreet Fraternity
Old 16th-February-2012, 09:00 PM   #15
batman09

Nova(s): 1967 Ht & 1962 wagon
Great job!!!Nice car!!!!

1967 Nova-----Ls3/4L70e
Sponsored Links
Advertisement