A/C, replace POA with newer system - Chevy Nova Forum
Visit our sponsor, National Nostalgic Nova

Steve's Nova Site is an automotive enthusiast website dedicated to the 1962 - 1979 Chevrolet Nova, Chevy II and Acadian automobiles. We work together to preserve, restore, drive, show, race and provide fellowship for these classic cars. This is one of the best places to find information about parts, rebuilding, restoration and racing. This website is not affiliated with GM, General Motors or Chevrolet in any capacity.

Go Back   Chevy Nova Forum > Body, Chassis and Mechanical > Electrical

StevesNovaSite.com is the premier Chevrolet Nova Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 11th-February-2012, 05:12 PM   #1
mpv72

Title: Nova Senior Member
Nova(s): 1972 SS Clone
A/C, replace POA with newer system

I have the remnants of the old POA system in my nova, really only the evaporator and POA valve I have reconditioned and capped of years ago. I prefer to upgrade to get rid of the POA valve in favor of a new system using the small radial or Sanderson type compressor.

I read somewhere to weld/braze the bleed from the POA and hook everything up and all should work? (greatly simplified) I still need to know where to wire what.

I have a complete system from a 79 Chevy truck, I know I'll have to get some hoses made, Is this feasible.

I'm old and tire of a hot summer ride.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11th-February-2012, 06:26 PM   #2
Philip

Title: Moderator
Nova(s): 1977
My 72 El Camino was converted using parts from an 89 Camaro. The CCOT evaporators will fit in the stock box and gives a place to install the orifice tube. Not sure what the pipes on the truck evaporator look like, if oriented correctly it will be a bolt in. If not look into buying an evaporator from a 77 - 79 Nova.
When converting the Nova the factory cycling switch was removed and replaced with a multi function cycling switch. The orifice tube replaced with one for 134A. The evaporator and condenser were flushed, the accumulator, hoses and compressor were all new.

Photos of the El Camino and the Nova, both use 134A and work well.

El Camino

Nova

Old 17th-February-2012, 12:51 PM   #3
Droptop 63

Title: Nova Junior Member
Nova(s): 1963 Nova, vert alston cl
Late Model AC

I have to agree this is the way to go. I did a lot of AC work, back when I did have an automotive shop, and this style of GM AC is great because it has a lot of built-in safeguards (low press. switch, high press., CCOT, and others that will prevent a total meltdown of your system. The only minor drawback to this type of system is if you should have the compressor go out, it scatters small metal compressor system pieces and most end up in the Accumulator or the CCOT. Replace both of these, new compressor, flush system, vac system and you are back in business. By the way, if you can avoid it, use a gm compressor. They cool a lot better than the Sanden or similar but both are pretty durable.
Old 17th-February-2012, 10:30 PM   #4
sedandan

Title: Nova Guru
Nova(s): 67 sedan
POA eliminator / update kit

This might help. http://www.nostalgicairparts.com/air...minator-45.php
Sponsored Links
Advertisement