Chevy Nova Forum banner

My DSE Mini-tub Install

22K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  DrededSS 
#1 ·
I've had the complete DSE kit sitting in storage for a couple years now. I finally made the trip from Texas to my friend's place in northern Alabama to do the install (I can't weld and he has done tubs before). Let me just say that this "mini" tub is more than a typical mini-tub, and a full tub would probably be easier. Despite all that, I'm very happy with the results.

Please don't mind the surface rust in the later pics. I was very pressed for time and had to hit the road back to Texas with the car on the trailer. I drove through very bad weather to get home. I have a whole line of products from POR 15 to go over the trunk and interior starting next week. This is a relatively rust-free car, but the trunk metal was very thin, which made it difficult welding in the cross-brace. The car was also wrecked at some point in the driver's side quarter, so that made it more difficult getting that side in.

I will add more pics once I get the seam filler in place, POR paint on top, and then undercoating done.

See less See more
#6 ·
We wasted a lot of time hanging out and bs'in, so I couldn't give you an accurate figure. It took us 2 weekends including all the wasted time. We also didn't follow a lot of the instructions. If we had to do it again, it could easily be done in a weekend. We measured twice, cut short to be careful, then trimmed to fit. This kit cuts into both frame rails, so we took our time to make sure it was done right.

And yes, you have to take out the interior and drop the rearend and rear suspension. It comes with shackles that move the springs in a couple of inches, and the factory upper shock mounts are cut out, so you have to weld new ones in place. The brace provided in the kit serves to strengthen the frame and provides a new location for the upper shock mounts.

#9 ·
I think it depends on the brand of tire more than anything. I'm running 315s on my 67 and I have over an inch of space on the inside, The tire brand is Sumitimo. The section width is 12.4" I've seen some 315s with a section width of 12.8 or more. My rim is 11" as I think that matters as well.

#12 ·
I'm sure it would look much better if I had the rearend narrowed, but that's a project far in the future. I ordered the kit originally because the 275/60/15 I put on the car was rubbing. 315 would be the widest I would end up going.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.