Use of Water/methanol injection - Chevy Nova Forum
Visit our sponsor, National Nostalgic Nova

Steve's Nova Site is an automotive enthusiast website dedicated to the 1962 - 1979 Chevrolet Nova, Chevy II and Acadian automobiles. We work together to preserve, restore, drive, show, race and provide fellowship for these classic cars. This is one of the best places to find information about parts, rebuilding, restoration and racing. This website is not affiliated with GM, General Motors or Chevrolet in any capacity.

Go Back   Chevy Nova Forum > Body, Chassis and Mechanical > Drivetrain & Performance

StevesNovaSite.com is the premier Chevrolet Nova Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 23rd-November-2011, 12:41 AM   #1
cegaithe

Title: Nova Junior Member
Nova(s): 77 Nova http://photo
Use of Water/methanol injection

OK, so I have read a lot on water methanol injection uses in stuff like carb spacers and other places like that. I tried searching on SNS for a thread with any users and came up with little to speak of.

It seams like it would be a great way to make some instant power and all. Does anyone have any experience with it? I have some friends that have wondered about it as well but none of us know anyone who has ever sprayed in their cars.

Basically I'd just like to know more about it. Stuff like:
Power gains, applications, installation, pros/cons and any other general information about it.

Thanks Guys,
Charles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 23rd-November-2011, 01:38 AM   #2
Ryan V64SS

Title: Nova Guru
Nova(s): 64 SS, 63 Sedan
It's primary use in on boosted engines. Look up Snow Performance.
Old 23rd-November-2011, 02:03 AM   #3
m3456y

Nova(s): 67 BB 4-XLER8N 65 4-DRI
I had a snowperformance.net system on my supercharged NSX. Loved it - lowered intake temperatures under boost by about 150 degrees, allowed me to run more timing and no predetonation. Not sure if it would be a big advantage using carbs, but their website is full of information. Cost was about $500
Old 23rd-November-2011, 02:09 AM   #4
ncfireman1918

Nova(s): '65 2 door sedan
Charles, I had several buddies running water/meth injection on Chrysler LX platform cars (Charger, 300, Magnum, Challenger) back when I had a Magnum. They saw some decent gains on NA cars, as well as forced induction cars. I don't know how much it would help, but it wouldn't hurt. For the money, you would see better gains with N2O, though.
Old 23rd-November-2011, 03:06 PM   #5
cegaithe

It's mostly out of curiosity that I ask, but I don't like all the pressurized crap that comes with n2o. Mainly looking how to squeeze a couple extra ponies without breaking the bank. And i know that you can run windshield washer fluid in place of snow performance's "boost juice" which is a cheap way to gain some hp. Im also kinda curious about cryogenic cooling fuel rails (run on CO2) but I haven't heard much about them either.
Old 23rd-November-2011, 03:42 PM   #6
taz3

Title: Moderator
Nova(s): 2 69 SS BB L78's & 69 4dr
2 guys that run it locally up here, both use it with supercharged engines. I don't know much about it though.

Old 29th-November-2011, 10:59 PM   #7
The Big Al

Nova(s): 68ss, 70ss (SOLD)
Water/methanol is not a power adder.

It is added to poor fuel to slow the burn IE: increasing octane rating. It saves cost of High octane racing fuel.

I used it years ago on my turbo boat, it helped lower temps and allowed pump gas. It was much faster on racing fuel.

FYI
Al

“The bitterness of poor quality & Service remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”
Old 29th-November-2011, 11:06 PM   #8
cegaithe

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Al View Post

It is added to poor fuel to slow the burn IE: increasing octane rating. It saves cost of High octane racing fuel.

I used it years ago on my turbo boat, it helped lower temps and allowed pump gas. It was much faster on racing fuel.

FYI
Al
Now thats a perspective that I haven't seen so far.
Old 29th-November-2011, 11:19 PM   #9
The Big Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by cegaithe View Post
Now thats a perspective that I haven't seen so far.
the use is for high compression or engines under Boost conditions requiring a high octane fuel.

http://www.alcoholinjectionsystems.c...icle_info.html

Water methanol injection has become a tried-and-true proven way for users to effectively increase their 87-93 octane pump gas. Depending on the amount injected and the type of mix used (pure water, pure methanol or a mix of the two), gains up to 10-25+ points in octane can be achieved. Thus making 91 octane pump gas act like 105-116 octane racing fuel in their engines. Thereby eliminating our dependency for notoriously expensive racing fuels, which can cost upwards of $8.00-$12.00 per gallon as so many of us have reluctantly had to use in the past. Costing only pennies to operate when using 100% water, its also a far more effective, affordable and convenient to those expensive octane booster fuel additives as well.

“The bitterness of poor quality & Service remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”
Old 29th-November-2011, 11:23 PM   #10
The Big Al

Here is a general explanation about octane.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rating

Al

Old 29th-November-2011, 11:38 PM   #11
Ryan V64SS

Nova(s): 64 SS, 63 Sedan
Quote:
Its known as a "chemical intercooler". Ask anybody that runs class race that prohibits mechanical intercoolers and they will tell you it adds power by decreasing IAT's substantially. These guys are already running C-16 or Q-16 race fuel. On boosted cars of course
Old 30th-November-2011, 01:10 AM   #12
brokebros

Nova(s): 64 nova
meth injection

also go to steve morris race engines site ,he knows alot about this stuff
Old 30th-November-2011, 02:46 PM   #13
cegaithe

OK so it will work something like having a strong racing gas in your car versus having pump gas right? So wouldn't that mean more power if the fuel is more volatile when it is compressed and combusted?
Old 30th-November-2011, 04:10 PM   #14
RIPTORRAPTORNOVA

Nova(s): 1975 2dr nova
Question question

Quote:
the use is for high compression or engines under Boost conditions requiring a high octane fuel.

http://www.alcoholinjectionsystems.c...icle_info.html

Water methanol injection has become a tried-and-true proven way for users to effectively increase their 87-93 octane pump gas. Depending on the amount injected and the type of mix used (pure water, pure methanol or a mix of the two), gains up to 10-25+ points in octane can be achieved. Thus making 91 octane pump gas act like 105-116 octane racing fuel in their engines. Thereby eliminating our dependency for notoriously expensive racing fuels, which can cost upwards of $8.00-$12.00 per gallon as so many of us have reluctantly had to use in the past. Costing only pennies to operate when using 100% water, its also a far more effective, affordable and convenient to those expensive octane booster fuel additives as well.
newbie here how does this system actually work and i mean in detail cause alot of people can use this if it extends the gas milage by a positive percent. and does it do any damage to the engine.?
Old 30th-November-2011, 04:26 PM   #15
The Big Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by cegaithe View Post
OK so it will work something like having a strong racing gas in your car versus having pump gas right? So wouldn't that mean more power if the fuel is more volatile when it is compressed and combusted?
Quote:
Originally Posted by RIPTORRAPTORNOVA View Post
newbie here how does this system actually work and i mean in detail cause alot of people can use this if it extends the gas milage by a positive percent. and does it do any damage to the engine.?
Ask your self a simple question.

Is water combustible? Does it burn?

==============================================

You have to understand what octane rating means and how fuel burns under compression.

imho
A'

Sponsored Links
Advertisement