Proportioning valve - Chevy Nova Forum
Visit our sponsor, National Nostalgic Nova

Steve's Nova Site is an automotive enthusiast website dedicated to the 1962 - 1979 Chevrolet Nova, Chevy II and Acadian automobiles. We work together to preserve, restore, drive, show, race and provide fellowship for these classic cars. This is one of the best places to find information about parts, rebuilding, restoration and racing. This website is not affiliated with GM, General Motors or Chevrolet in any capacity.

Go Back   Chevy Nova Forum > Body, Chassis and Mechanical > Steering, Suspension, and Chassis

StevesNovaSite.com is the premier Chevrolet Nova Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 16th-November-2011, 03:31 PM   #1
nova64000

Title: Nova Guru
Nova(s): 64 2 door Sedan
Proportioning valve

I haven't been able to get a decent pedal after installing the new discs from CPP. I have a corvette master cylinder and a new rear brake line that connects to the original rear brake line through a Jegs Prop Valve...

http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS-Performan...63020/10002/-1

I plumbed it this way only because a member advised me to do it this way when I originally converted to a Dual Master Cylinder. I'm not sure if its the correct way or the best way to run a proportioning valve but I'm willing to redo it if necessary as I don't want to cut any corners. I can't help but notice that most cars with Disk brakes have a prop valve under the Master Cylinder which may be a better setup (?) Also I didnt install a check valve which I understand may be needed depending upon the bore of the master cylinder as I have drum brakes in the rear.

I'm wondering if I should keep the adjustable prop valve or go with a different setup?

Nick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 16th-November-2011, 06:07 PM   #2
Rotorbolt

Nova(s): 1964 Chevy II 400 4dr sed
Typically, a corvette master cylinder is for front and rear disks. mine has disk front, drum rear and a early to mid 70's GM mid size disk brake master cyl. I'm using the proprtioning valve from a late 80's S10.
Old 16th-November-2011, 06:26 PM   #3
603 chevy II

Title: Nova Senior Member
Nova(s): 63 HT
So with the Vette M/C that is made for Disk/Disks would you need a prop valve if you had Disk/Disk set up. I'm doing a Disk/Disk set up with the Vette M/C and read something about using an adjustable valve just for the rear brakes. I was thinking about getting a combo distribution/prop valve. any thoughts on that.
Old 16th-November-2011, 07:16 PM   #4
Vin63

Quote:
Originally Posted by nova64000 View Post
I haven't been able to get a decent pedal after installing the new discs from CPP. I have a corvette master cylinder and a new rear brake line that connects to the original rear brake line through a Jegs Prop Valve...

http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS-Performan...63020/10002/-1

I plumbed it this way only because a member advised me to do it this way when I originally converted to a Dual Master Cylinder. I'm not sure if its the correct way or the best way to run a proportioning valve but I'm willing to redo it if necessary as I don't want to cut any corners. I can't help but notice that most cars with Disk brakes have a prop valve under the Master Cylinder which may be a better setup (?) Also I didnt install a check valve which I understand may be needed depending upon the bore of the master cylinder as I have drum brakes in the rear.

I'm wondering if I should keep the adjustable prop valve or go with a different setup?

Nick
I think what you might be experiencing is due to the lack of a residual pressure valve from the master cylinder to the rear brakes.

Old 16th-November-2011, 08:12 PM   #5
nova64000

Nova(s): 64 2 door Sedan
Thats what I thought. I was told that it depends on the bore of the master cylinder... I'm going to try that first before anything else
Old 16th-November-2011, 09:41 PM   #6
Vin63

Quote:
Originally Posted by nova64000 View Post
...I was told that it depends on the bore of the master cylinder...
No, the disk/disk brake master cylinder does not have the residual pressure valve like the drum master cylinders. I would try a 10 lbs. residual pressure valve.

Old 16th-November-2011, 10:03 PM   #7
sbc1320

Nova(s): Working on it
I installed a residual pressure valve when I did my 71 disc brake conversion. I have heard you don't need one as long as your master cylinder is up on the fiewall. I didn't do anything at all with a proportioning valve.
Old 16th-November-2011, 10:32 PM   #8
taz3

Title: Moderator
Nova(s): 2 69 SS BB L78's & 69 4dr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin63 View Post
No, the disk/disk brake master cylinder does not have the residual pressure valve like the drum master cylinders. I would try a 10 lbs. residual pressure valve.
I run a disc/disc setup, but when I was putting my setup together I was told the same as above, the Vett master would require a residual pressure valve, when used with a disc/drum setup. They come in a few different increments, but I would say a 10lbs is a good starting point too. We also use a similar adjustable prop valve as the one you posted too.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement