990 heads what the deal - Chevy Nova Forum
Visit our sponsor, National Nostalgic Nova

Steve's Nova Site is an automotive enthusiast website dedicated to the 1962 - 1979 Chevrolet Nova, Chevy II and Acadian automobiles. We work together to preserve, restore, drive, show, race and provide fellowship for these classic cars. This is one of the best places to find information about parts, rebuilding, restoration and racing. This website is not affiliated with GM, General Motors or Chevrolet in any capacity.

Go Back   Chevy Nova Forum > General > Drag Racing Forum

StevesNovaSite.com is the premier Chevrolet Nova Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 4th-September-2011, 09:16 PM   #1
aqua750

Title: Nova Junior Member
Nova(s): 1971 SS Big Block
990 heads what the deal

hello guys I cant figure out what up with the 990 heads do you guys like them or hate them?? some people think there to big some people think there to old . What did the people at chevy put them on?? I got a 468 motor sitting in my garage its brand new its a 4 bolt 10.5 je pistons990 heads a solid roller crane gold rockers stud girdle weiand team g and a holley850 race carb so whats wrong with this combo??? the heads?? this is a street car that sees 150 miles a year Its a 71 nova 4spd 411 rear. What horse power do you guys think this motor will make ?? Sure I have a new set of gmpp 502 alum heads in the garage but why pull perfectly good 990 heads off what do you guys think?? It seems nobody remembers the old days when we didnot have 4000 dollar heads at our disposal. Or has anybody ever raced a ls-6 or a ls-7 chevelle or a real 427 they were smokers please all opinions needed thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 4th-September-2011, 10:14 PM   #2
big dog ss

Title: Nova Guru
Nova(s): 1970 SS
i like using the old stuff that most say is old technology and should get something new.. those heads can support 650+HP depending on whats been done to them. unless you need the weight savings i wouldnt switch them...jmo
Old 5th-September-2011, 04:03 PM   #3
bracketchev1221

Nova(s): 70 SS 350
I think those heads were over the counter replacement heads. Are they ok, yes they are. The heads are big for what you want to do. I ran the early Merlin heads which were copies of those heads with raised exhaust ports. The issue is what do you want to use the car for. If it is around town driving, then a smaller port would increase low end torque. The larger port is better for higher rpm, such as racing. Those heads are about 320cc intake ports and can handle up to about 725-750 hp. I ran Dart 325cc heads on my 509 and they were a little small on my 540. If you are around town driving and staying below 6500 rpm max, I think a good 781 casting head would do great. But if you plan on shifting it at 7000 plus than the 990 head is pretty good. The only reason that people say they are not worth using is that machine work is expensive and by the time you sink the money in 990 heads, you could buy aftermarket. Also the issue with pump gas and steel heads, 10.5-1 is about as high as anyone wants to risk running. Some won't even go past 10-1.
Old 5th-September-2011, 04:21 PM   #4
aqua750

Title: Nova Junior Member
Nova(s): 1971 SS Big Block
990,s

thank you for the well thought out reply.You see I got this motor from a buddy its complete from pan to carb It just seems ashame to pull off the heads ( 990) pull out the solid roller cam because people say you schould not run a solid roller on the street and put the gmpp alum 502 heads and a BIG voodoo solid flat tappet more and more money , dont get me wrong my nova is one of the nicest you will ever see BUT I only go 150 miles a year , there is no track on Long Island and I dont street race anymore. I just want the nova to sound like an animal Im starting to think Im:confused retarded but thanks ps If I take off the 990,s what do I do with them?
Old 6th-September-2011, 06:58 AM   #5
bracketchev1221

Nova(s): 70 SS 350
It all goes back to what you said, if they are there use them. There probably is not much of a market for those. I know everyone is using the oval port steel heads, but the rect port heads are more limited use. Basically, use good gas to not detonate it, and you are fine.
Old 6th-September-2011, 09:29 AM   #6
77xbody

Nova(s): 77 nova
Quote:
Originally Posted by aqua750 View Post
thank you for the well thought out reply.You see I got this motor from a buddy its complete from pan to carb It just seems ashame to pull off the heads ( 990) pull out the solid roller cam because people say you schould not run a solid roller on the street and put the gmpp alum 502 heads and a BIG voodoo solid flat tappet more and more money , dont get me wrong my nova is one of the nicest you will ever see BUT I only go 150 miles a year , there is no track on Long Island and I dont street race anymore. I just want the nova to sound like an animal Im starting to think Im:confused retarded but thanks ps If I take off the 990,s what do I do with them?
you can still get some money for the 990 heads,there are alot of guys who cant afford alum heads.I know plenty of cars with those heads running fast
Sponsored Links
Advertisement