Gasser Racing Series Gold Cup Event Results & Pictures - Chevy Nova Forum
Visit our sponsor, National Nostalgic Nova

Steve's Nova Site is an automotive enthusiast website dedicated to the 1962 - 1979 Chevrolet Nova, Chevy II and Acadian automobiles. We work together to preserve, restore, drive, show, race and provide fellowship for these classic cars. This is one of the best places to find information about parts, rebuilding, restoration and racing. This website is not affiliated with GM, General Motors or Chevrolet in any capacity.

Go Back   Chevy Nova Forum > General > Drag Racing Forum

StevesNovaSite.com is the premier Chevrolet Nova Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 29th-August-2011, 02:45 PM   #1
Pandora's Box

Title: Nova Guru
Nova(s): 67 Nova Wagon 408"/700R4
Gasser Racing Series Gold Cup Event Results & Pictures

Perfect weather and humidity on Saturday. However Sunday was a different story as Irene reared her ugly head. Sunday's weather was very cloudy and rather windy with cross wind gusts upwards of 35-40 mph which prompted the track to cancel Sunday's program.

Pandora's Box came out on Saturday with its first pass in qualifying spinning the tires at the hit of second gear and then sputtering for some unknown reason. Well I knew I needed new slicks but the sputtering was something that took me completely by surprise. On its second qualifying pass everything was pretty much back to normal but 60' times were still way down due to the slicks and I had my concerns about making it in, but I did. I was killing the tree all day with a .035 (1st Q), .000 (2nd Q) and a .013 in 1st elimination round and then it happen... In the second round of eliminations I went -.002 which ended my day. Well this was just mentioned in a resent post that if you don't go red once in a while you ain't cutting a good light.... well it happened. But then it seemed like "Redlight-itus" was everywhere Saturday because there were quite a few that I seen. So after that I was really looking forward to Sunday and that never happened.

Another thing that got cut short were the pictures. I took some on Saturday and planned on taking more on Sunday which never happened. But I did get some of the AA Gassers and many Novas for your enjoyment.

This is a local friend of mines car. Jeff's car is the original Ron Bizio '33 Willys Pickup built by Chuck Finders and raced on the west coast in the 60's. Jeff still actively races the car at many events.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Another history car that was raced on the west coast in the 60's is also locally owned by another friend of mine. Carlos ownes and just recently restored the original Kohler Brothers King Kong '48 Anglia. Carlos actively raced the car until the restoration and is now retired.

Chuck Finders '33 Willys Finders Keepers

Some others in the show

Todd Zieminick's Henry J

No your eyes are not messin' with you, that is a blown BBC Chevy Caprice Estate Wagon. F.Y.I.: It runs high 9's (no NOS) and is a 7 passenger.

What would a Gasser event be without a straight axle Nova? Actually there were several in attendance. However, as mentioned, due to the cancellation of Sunday's program what you see is what you get.

The Brian and Lisa Kresman are out of Niagara Falls, NY and are SNS members. Lisa is the driver and is currently 3rd in points.

----------------------------------------------
What would a nostalgia race be without a T-Bolt

In the "Dare to be Different" catagory was this guy. That is an original "steel body" Jag "Roadster" convertible. I ran into this guy in 2008 at the NHRA Reunion in Bowling Green. I told him that hard core Jag guys probably want to "hang him high" due to the rareity of the car. In "All Original" form these cars will bring $70,000.00 to $125,000.00. All I know is.... It's cool and it's fast!

I don't know anything about this car or if he's a member of the SNS but it is a Nova!

Here is a couple more original history cars that are still doing what they do best.

Advertisement

Old 29th-August-2011, 02:57 PM   #2
Ricky B

Nova(s): ~'63 wagon~
Cool Bitchin' !

These are great photos, thanks a lot !!! I hope you have a few more chances to race this season. I dig the old Willy's & the Thames !

Mark 10:27 !
Old 29th-August-2011, 03:15 PM   #3
jtheaceman

Nova(s): 1971 Nova
Very cool picks!
Old 29th-August-2011, 05:14 PM   #4
johnny rotten

Title: Nova Senior Member
Nova(s): 63 altered wb
Thank you for the picts. How many gassers showed? Looks like the weather put a kibosh on car count
Old 29th-August-2011, 06:22 PM   #5
Pandora's Box

Nova(s): 67 Nova Wagon 408"/700R4
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny rotten View Post
Thank you for the picts. How many gassers showed? Looks like the weather put a kibosh on car count
Actually I took those pictures early on Saturday and, as previously mentioned, had plans on taking more on Sunday, but unfortunately that didn't happen.

The total car count that I last heard was 246 for just Nostalgia Gas, Modified Gas and Street Gas plus a few Pro Mods as well as some the tracks regular classes. There were 73 or 76 Gassers alone, not too shabby for a "first time" event.

Ya shoulda had that lean... mean... orange machine there Johnny!
Old 29th-August-2011, 07:58 PM   #6
aggravation

Title: Nova Junior Member
Nova(s): 1965 nova 4 door 331 ci
sat. show

Cool Pic's thanks for sharing them, looks like a cool event!!
Old 30th-August-2011, 05:34 PM   #7
Novabbc

Title: Nova Newbie
Nova(s): 1964 Nova 65Nova gasser
Thanks for posting the pics! Great time and even better next year. Brian
Old 8th-September-2011, 10:38 AM   #8
pigpen

Title: Nova Newbie
Nova(s): 1964 400 4 door sedan
thank you neat pics wish ther were more events dedicated to gassers in the midwest especialy at gateway
Old 8th-September-2011, 12:09 PM   #9
bowtie0069

Nova(s): 69
Looks like fun. The PAUL in Paul's Automotive is Paul Althouse--He still owns a 1st gen Camaro driven by his son Dannie. Paul comes out to Irwindale to watch almost every week. If you ever want to make a vac. sec. Holley work on a drag car, talk to Paul--he set several NHRA records with them.

Paul's Camaro--No vac. sec. here; it runs a pair of Dominators:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement