Starter does not spin - Chevy Nova Forum
Visit our sponsor, National Nostalgic Nova

Steve's Nova Site is an automotive enthusiast website dedicated to the 1962 - 1979 Chevrolet Nova, Chevy II and Acadian automobiles. We work together to preserve, restore, drive, show, race and provide fellowship for these classic cars. This is one of the best places to find information about parts, rebuilding, restoration and racing. This website is not affiliated with GM, General Motors or Chevrolet in any capacity.

Go Back   Chevy Nova Forum > Body, Chassis and Mechanical > Electrical

StevesNovaSite.com is the premier Chevrolet Nova Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 31st-July-2011, 12:17 PM   #1
otgxa

Title: Nova Newbie
Starter does not spin

Just bought a powermaster 9000x mini starter. When I wire it up all I hear is a single click noise, when the key is turned. Starter does not spin. But when I re-connect the old starer it turns. I have 12.4 volts from the battery to the starter, and when the key is turned it goes to about 11.4. I also checked the neutral safety switch and I am getting 12 volts through that also. The wire connecting to the horn relay is also getting 12 volts. The lights and radio do work. Any info would be greatly appreciated. thanks

Sorry forgot to mention I did get the new starter tested and it works ok. I also put a screwdriver from both posts and it did spin.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 1st-August-2011, 03:59 AM   #2
noVette

Nova(s): 72 RALLY NOVA, 350/350, A
It sounds like the gear teeth on the starter are not meshing with the flywheel/flex plate teeth. If the solinoid does not extend all the way out it will not spin the starter motor. The clicking noise would be the solinoid pushing the gear up to the plate and stopping.
Make sure that the motor gear engages properly by prying it into the flywheel and has about 1/16" clearance. The clearance is measured at the tip of the starter gear tooth and the bottom of the flywheel gear tooth. I use a 1/16" allen wrench as a gauge.
Shims are used to increase the clearance and are made for this purpose. If they didn't come with the new starter you can pick them up at an auto parts store.
Old 1st-August-2011, 08:50 AM   #3
otgxa

thanks for the reply noVette, but the starter is not even in the car. I extended all the wires and was testing it on the garage floor.
Old 1st-August-2011, 10:58 AM   #4
tony

Title: Nova Guru
Nova(s): '63SS'64SS'654D'76HD'89HD
Good ground since it's not mounted to the block ???
Advertisement