What bucket seats are you running in your 3rd gen - Chevy Nova Forum
Visit our sponsor, National Nostalgic Nova

Steve's Nova Site is an automotive enthusiast website dedicated to the 1962 - 1979 Chevrolet Nova, Chevy II and Acadian automobiles. We work together to preserve, restore, drive, show, race and provide fellowship for these classic cars. This is one of the best places to find information about parts, rebuilding, restoration and racing. This website is not affiliated with GM, General Motors or Chevrolet in any capacity.

Go Back   Chevy Nova Forum > Non-Technical > 3rd Generation Chevy II/Nova's

StevesNovaSite.com is the premier Chevrolet Nova Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 13th-April-2011, 02:17 PM   #1
scherp69

Title: Nova Guru
Nova(s): 68 pro-touring Acadian
What bucket seats are you running in your 3rd gen

I know a lot guys want to swap over to bucket seats. I bought a set of GTO seats, but really don't know if I'm going to be able to get them to be low enough to be happy with them.

Other than stock nova seats, what seats are you guys running and what is the fitment like on them Hopefully this will help out a lot us trying to decide which seats to run. Since I've posted this thread to help out others, can you also post what vehicle and year that you got yours from and what you had to make them fit.

Last edited by scherp69; 13th-April-2011 at 04:25 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 13th-April-2011, 03:38 PM   #2
TomM

Nova(s): 1966 - Coupe
Mike, I had some Cadillac seats in my car, too high.....Clint had some GTO seats in his...all too high. We went to the trans Am seats and I have to say they are perfect. I know it's a second gen, but we had the same issue, head room is headroom, no matter what car it's in.

The seats are very adjustable for tilt, up and down, and they also have the seat catch to tilt the back forward. The height is pefect, should have done this before. Might bear some looking into.....

T,

Old 13th-April-2011, 03:38 PM   #3
strtlegal

Nova(s): 70 Nova, LS2/TKO, Speedte
Good question Mike...

For me I found mine like most people did back in the day, At a junk yard. They are early 90's Ponitac seats out of a Sunbird which is the same as a Cavalier..I love them. Nice high back with a decent amount of bolster support...Are they a racing seat? Nope but a very comfy driver seat.

Plus they bolt flat to the floor.Most import seats you will find are angles in the front...

I'm sure there is other out there that are just as nice..

Ruby Red Metallic, 70' Nova Ls2/TKO
Old 13th-April-2011, 03:58 PM   #4
Sunnfjordingen

Title: Nova Junior Member
Nova(s): 69 2dr.
I do upholstery work myself and made these for my 69', not sure but I think they are called Wolfrace,had them in another car about 20 years ago, also made a rear seat in the same style.....
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

Also made these for a friend, they are Recaro's from a 95' Ford Cosworth....
[IMG][/IMG]

If I should suggest some modern seats I would take a look at early 90' Honda Civic, they have modern comfort and kind of a classic look if you take away the headrest and cover them with vinyl or leather, like these from a 93'
[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by Sunnfjordingen; 17th-August-2011 at 05:46 AM.
Old 13th-April-2011, 04:04 PM   #5
car_man602

Nova(s): 1972
1st gen and 2nd gen camaro seats fit nice .The 2nd gen camaro seats are actually 72 and up nova high back seats just different tracks. I have 69 camaro seats in my 72 fit nice and Tmi sells new sport seat foam and upholstery for the 69 seats which give them some bolsters and more comfort

Last edited by car_man602; 13th-April-2011 at 04:07 PM.
Old 13th-April-2011, 04:27 PM   #6
scherp69

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomM View Post
Mike, I had some Cadillac seats in my car, too high.....Clint had some GTO seats in his...all too high. We went to the trans Am seats and I have to say they are perfect. I know it's a second gen, but we had the same issue, head room is headroom, no matter what car it's in.

The seats are very adjustable for tilt, up and down, and they also have the seat catch to tilt the back forward. The height is pefect, should have done this before. Might bear some looking into.....

T,
They are nice Tom. Clint actually sent me a picture of his already. The only thing I don't like about them is the 'gills' or whatever they are on the side. Although wouldn't take much for an upholsterer to get rid of that. What year are yours from?
Old 13th-April-2011, 04:32 PM   #7
James21

Nova(s): 71 350V8, 373 posi. 13.7
My seats are out of a hyundai tiburon. Picked em up for 50 bucks at a swap meet. I couldn't be happier.

Old 13th-April-2011, 05:12 PM   #8
Ignitrous

Nova(s): 1973 Nova Custom
I have Corbeau recliners. Nice fit, little tight if i have a helmet on at the track. More of a race look than comfort/style

Heres a link http://corbeau.com/products/reclining_seats/trs/ its sort of like what i have but I bought mine 6-7 years ago.
Old 13th-April-2011, 05:15 PM   #9
scherp69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignitrous View Post
I have Corbeau recliners. Nice fit, little tight if i have a helmet on at the track. More of a race look than comfort/style

Heres a link http://corbeau.com/products/reclining_seats/trs/ its sort of like what i have but I bought mine 6-7 years ago.
Can you post some pics. I was actually looking at those seats on their site this morning.
Old 13th-April-2011, 05:40 PM   #10
TomM

Nova(s): 1966 - Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by scherp69 View Post
They are nice Tom. Clint actually sent me a picture of his already. The only thing I don't like about them is the 'gills' or whatever they are on the side. Although wouldn't take much for an upholsterer to get rid of that. What year are yours from?
2002 Pontiac Trans Am. On a side note the passenger seat only has lombar, it is manual.....the gills are the flex for the lombar, and yes, when I redo my car they will be removed, along with the headrest holes and covered like a regular 66 would look.

T,
Old 13th-April-2011, 06:58 PM   #11
daNOVA

Nova(s): 350 74 nova
mine are from a 74 vega

Old 13th-April-2011, 10:46 PM   #12
Nova74ss

Nova(s): 74 ss nova, 358 c.i.d.
i snagged some late 70s camaro buckets out of a 90s s10 from a buddies lowrider that he parted out... Dunno if many of u know that 1st gen s10 bucks bolt directly to stock nova sliders and bolt up... Had some in my 74 hatchback that somebody busted the drivers window & stole them with my monster tach...
Old 14th-April-2011, 09:34 PM   #13
67rsss6spd

Nova(s): 72Nova/LS1/6spd 67rs/ss
GTO seats,removed all power functions and mounted them to stock sliders.

Old 14th-April-2011, 09:43 PM   #14
taz3

Title: Moderator
Nova(s): 2 69 SS BB L78's & 69 4dr
Hey Mike, just so you know all GM seats are the same, just mounting brackets and outer coverings are different. My upholstery guy informed me when I was having my bench done, he keeps all the late 60's and early 70's seats for this reason. Buick, Pontiac, Olds, Chevelle, and Nova all use the same frames. I find my bench sits higher than my buckets. I stand 5'9" too.

Old 14th-April-2011, 11:19 PM   #15
scherp69

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67rsss6spd View Post
GTO seats,removed all power functions and mounted them to stock sliders.

Can you post some pics of the sliders you used. I'd really like to use the seats (with power if I can figure it out) but have considered using manual sliders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taz3 View Post
Hey Mike, just so you know all GM seats are the same, just mounting brackets and outer coverings are different. My upholstery guy informed me when I was having my bench done, he keeps all the late 60's and early 70's seats for this reason. Buick, Pontiac, Olds, Chevelle, and Nova all use the same frames. I find my bench sits higher than my buckets. I stand 5'9" too.
Interesting. Didn't know that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement