Average cost of a full restore - Chevy Nova Forum
Visit our sponsor, National Nostalgic Nova

Steve's Nova Site is an automotive enthusiast website dedicated to the 1962 - 1979 Chevrolet Nova, Chevy II and Acadian automobiles. We work together to preserve, restore, drive, show, race and provide fellowship for these classic cars. This is one of the best places to find information about parts, rebuilding, restoration and racing. This website is not affiliated with GM, General Motors or Chevrolet in any capacity.

Go Back   Chevy Nova Forum > Non-Technical > 3rd Generation Chevy II/Nova's

StevesNovaSite.com is the premier Chevrolet Nova Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 13th-April-2011, 12:05 PM   #1
SIXTEE9SS

Title: Nova Newbie
Nova(s): 1969 SS
Average cost of a full restore

I like to get a general idea of what everyone here (who has fully restored a car from beginning to end) has spent on their cars. I'm just weighting the cost between buying one that is already restored to one that needs it. Please include a quick break down of what you spent and how much, to get your car to completion. (parts, body work, paint job, drive train work, etc) Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 13th-April-2011, 12:08 PM   #2
1quik69

Title: Moderator
Nova(s): 1969w/468,1972w/408,
I have around 25-30k in my 72 and it was completed about 6 years ago. i have about the same amount in my 69 and it is not finished yet. My 69 still needs paint. Depending on how far you want to go and who does the work it can cost up to 40-50k or more.
Old 13th-April-2011, 01:44 PM   #3
orest402

Title: Nova Senior Member
Nova(s): 2-70 Nova SS 396/375 cars
Avg. cost of full restore

I've always believed that unless you LOVE doing the work, it's ALWAYS less expensive to buy a completed car than to try and do it yourself start to finish and come out ahead.......just doesn't happen. Plus the lost time you could be driving your car instead of working on it............
Old 13th-April-2011, 02:30 PM   #4
ken125

Title: Nova Junior Member
Nova(s): 1962 2dr post
10x cheaper to buy one unless you find a rare barn find that isnt too far gone, fix it and put on barret jackson. you can get good deals on old cars in this economy.
Old 13th-April-2011, 02:59 PM   #5
nodice333

Title: Nova Guru
Nova(s): 1967 1969
its way cheaper to buy one already done, i had over 30k in my 70'
Old 13th-April-2011, 03:17 PM   #6
LMH

Nova(s): 1972 Nova
Buy it done or close to it. And another point worth remembering. No matter how much $ you put in to it you will not get the $ out of it if you sell it down the road.Sorry just won't happen as much as we all think our cars are perfect and worth every penny the other guy is just like us when we are looking to buy we want a bargain or we keep looking.
Just my .02
Old 13th-April-2011, 03:19 PM   #7
onecarnut

Nova(s): 1968 Chevy II
My opinion is that you can buy one cheaper than you can build one.

However, take a little from both sides of the question (buy or build).

Buy the car of your choice that has a good body and is drivable.

It may need lots of improvements, but you can drive it as you fix it up.

Gone but not forgotten
Old 13th-April-2011, 03:21 PM   #8
grega

Title: Nova Senior Member
Nova(s): 1966
Rebuild costs

Engine 3500-8000
paint 7000-12000
interior 3500-5000
suspension 3500-8000
add ons and extras 1500-3000

doing it yourself- priceless
1966 Nova 283 300hp Auto 3 speed 3:73 Posi All brand new Again
Old 13th-April-2011, 03:54 PM   #9
Alice the Malice

Nova(s): 1974 Nova SS
The thing about buying a car that's already done is that you have to trust someone else's workmanship. I bought a car that was driveable, came with a tonne of receipts/all work documented, but things started to crap out fairly quickly and I found myself having to fix things that I thought were good for a while.

I'm not saying that's always the case, just another perspective on things... when you do stuff yourself or have it done by someone with a great reputation that you trust, that's when you really know what's going on with your car, IMO...

The cost also depends on whether you can/want to do a lot of the work yourself.
Old 13th-April-2011, 04:10 PM   #10
surfdog

Nova(s): 64wagon, 67wagon (SOLD)
I think most here would agree it's all about the journey to the destination .
Old 13th-April-2011, 04:29 PM   #11
the FLYER

Nova(s): B Pillar of Society
here's my opinion on the subject... say you walk into a showroom and buy that nice car with all the options on it you want, say a new Camaro, Challenger or Mustang... what is that, 30-35-45K? now add the finance charges over, what, 5 years? how much will you end up paying for the car in the end?

now take that car you bought for 2K-5K and save and buy and save and buy and work on the car over a 5 to even 7 year time frame and what will you have invested? the same 25-35-45K? yeah, very possibly so if you take it to a level that takes the 35-45K investment... you see a lot of really bitchen cars for the 20-25K range and the biggest thing of what i'm trying to say is that 20-25K car is actually worth MORE than your investment in a lot of cases and it's APPRECIATING... not DEPRECIATING like that new car did the absolute second you signed your name.

you buy a new car for 35K and the instant you bought it it's not worth the money you've paid for it.

i think it better to own a Classic, HotRod or Muscle car that'll hold the value than a cookie-cutter car that anyone/everyone can buy

another good thing is when you've finished the car no lien holder, it's YOURS
'64 411 377-Tko600-3:73's
'64 469, '63 435 (projects), & '63 469 (my driver)

Videos~Albums
Old 13th-April-2011, 04:56 PM   #12
slab

Nova(s): 66 wagon 67 sedan
This is a classic question and I can tell allready that by the time all the answers come in you will be no farther ahead than when you first asked it!!
Every answer I read so far is a good one.
I agree that you can probably buy a finished or almost done car for less than $0.50 on the dollar of what was invested.
There is more satisfaction doing / building a car yourself.
Frustration levels could be the same if, as someone else said "stuff starts going wrong with your purchase" Building a car --everyone knows is a frustrating deal.

But it boils down to what I read in a magizine a while ago.

There are people in this world that drive'm and people in this world that build'em. It takes both to make the HotRod world go round.
Old 13th-April-2011, 05:14 PM   #13
scherp69

Nova(s): 68 pro-touring Acadian
I think it also depends on how you want it rebuilt. Are you looking for a stock rebuild? Pro-touring? Mild build? It's all going to change your cost. I'm doing a pro-touring build with all high end parts and by the time I'm done, I will likely be at 40k for parts alone. And I'm doing all the work myself. No way I'd get that when I try to sell it. For me it's a hobby and it allows me to escape reality when I go into the shop, that's why I'm doing mine. If I had the money and a stress free life.....I'd buy one that was already done.
Old 13th-April-2011, 08:05 PM   #14
carcrazy615

Nova(s): 63ss convertible 64 4-doo
30,000+ for a nice mostly stock rebuild if you do most of it yourself. Very easy to overbuild and spend a lot to make it special. Then you end up with a car that it to nice to drive and have fun with. Lots cheaper to but one already done but be careful what you buy, I have seen cars at car shows that look great to most people but I would be afraid to drive them.
Old 13th-April-2011, 08:34 PM   #15
67bob

Title: Nova Junior Member
Nova(s): 1967 post
if u dont do any of the work your self it is an expensive hobby and if your going to buy a finished car u beter have a prety good eye i have seen people get snookered a time or two
Advertisement