My engine is running WAY too cold - Chevy Nova Forum
Visit our sponsor, National Nostalgic Nova

Steve's Nova Site is an automotive enthusiast website dedicated to the 1962 - 1979 Chevrolet Nova, Chevy II and Acadian automobiles. We work together to preserve, restore, drive, show, race and provide fellowship for these classic cars. This is one of the best places to find information about parts, rebuilding, restoration and racing. This website is not affiliated with GM, General Motors or Chevrolet in any capacity.

Go Back   Chevy Nova Forum > Body, Chassis and Mechanical > Drivetrain & Performance

StevesNovaSite.com is the premier Chevrolet Nova Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 30th-January-2011, 12:53 AM   #1
JRouche

Title: Nova Guru
My engine is running WAY too cold

Went for a putt today, it was 75* outside. I was driving at around 55mph for about 20 miles. The engine was as warm as it was gonna get and it was only at 153*. WAY too cold. And I have two sensors. One for my gauge and the other for the EFI computer, they both agree, its 153.

I want the engine (water temps) up around 185-190*.

I have a 185* stat in and it seems to work with the simple checking I have done. You know, idling the engine up to temp with the radiator cap off looking for the opening of the stat with an inrush of coolant. And I saw that. I can idle it up to 185*, the stat will open and close. I can see that with the coolant flow with the radiator cap off.

And idling through town I can get some nice heat. It will peg at 185* and stay there. I like that. Although 190* would be nice. It never gets above 185* no matter what. Unless I idle it on the driveway at a high idle (1500 rpm) on a really hot summer day and disable the fan. Then I can get some heat in the engine.

But if I go any faster than 30mph she cools WAY down, not "cool".

Id actually like to see 195-200* with my EFI mill. She runs SO much better with a lil heat.

I have the electric fan controller set to max temp. I dont even think the fan is turning on with any speed above 40mph. Its just too cold. And the outside temp isnt very cold. Its been 75* outside, that is not really cold, its perfect.

So my question? How can I get more heat!!

Any help would be great. Im running around with a cold engine that is sucking up fuel and basically in hibernation due to the temps. I need to heat things up a bit. JR
Advertisement

Old 30th-January-2011, 01:07 AM   #2
David&Melissa_h

Not trying to sound funny but I think your car is magic.

If I read your post right you say you have a 185* the fan isn't running & you can't heat more then 153* that can't be something isn't computing...

Anyways if you want more heat put a hotter t-stat in it.

I drove my car today on the fwy it was 175-180 on the street moving slower it would hit 200 then the fan would kick on coll it down to 180 till the fan shuts off this happens over and over in this cooler weather we are having... I have a 160* t-stat in mine.

Last edited by David&Melissa_h; 30th-January-2011 at 01:11 AM.
Old 30th-January-2011, 01:13 AM   #3
superguy

Nova(s): 1970 under construction
Just break it down to possibilities. What can make an engine overcool?
bad t-stat
bad temp sensor
fan comes on too early
radiator too big
etc.

How long have you been driving it the way it is?
Old 30th-January-2011, 02:50 AM   #4
JRouche

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_H View Post
Not trying to sound funny but I think your car is magic.

If I read your post right you say you have a 185* the fan isn't running & you can't heat more then 153* that can't be something isn't computing...

Anyways if you want more heat put a hotter t-stat in it.
Hmm, Ok Im trying to figure out what you are saying (I get the typing issue, I have that also).

But mainly I think you are saying the stat is the problem.

Yes, I would agree if it never actuated. But it does. It kicks in at the temp that it should. 185* Its opening up when the coolant temps finally get to 185*.

Only way I can get the engine up to 185* is if I run it at a high idle (1500rpm) on my driveway. No air flow through the radiator or engine.

Problem is the coolant temps never reach 185* if Im rolling more than an idle through town. If I get going to 40+ mph the coolant temps are still pretty low, 153 or so.

There is NO magic or anything but a frustrating problem for me. I want the engine to get to some decent temps. At this point Id settle for 180*.

And yes, Im thinking the stat is the problem. Not so much thats its a lower 185* stat. But that its opening all the way when it should not. Its not letting the coolant heat up in the block like it should and its popping open before it should.

Im just looking for some consensus before I remove the stat and replace it. I dont want to go through the work before putting it out here, just looking for ideas. JR
Old 30th-January-2011, 03:05 AM   #5
JRouche

Quote:
Originally Posted by superguy View Post
Just break it down to possibilities. What can make an engine overcool?
bad t-stat
bad temp sensor
fan comes on too early
radiator too big
etc.

How long have you been driving it the way it is?
Great info. I have two separate sensors for the coolant temps. Both read 150*. It is too cold.

The fan is not even turning on from what I can tell.

I do have a massive radiator, but that shouldnt matter. The stat should keep the coolant in the engine long enough to warm the block up.

So yes. Its back to your first pick, bad stat.

Its prolly open when it shouldnt be and because the large radiator is there its cooling the fluid down too much.

So Im gonna replace the stat. It was a decent one.

Any recommendations for a manufacture for a new stat? JR
Old 30th-January-2011, 07:56 AM   #6
chevguy65

Title: Nova Senior Member
Maybe it is turbo engines are different but I have never known anyone that wanted their car to run hot.

In my experience power is made in a cooler engine.

Most experienced drag racers keep their block cool and oil at temp to make the most power.

I do not like to ever see my engines go much above 175 street or strip.

But, like I said maybe turbo engines are different.
Old 30th-January-2011, 08:37 AM   #7
sbc1320

Nova(s): Working on it
Motors are more efficient once they come up to temperature. Of course they do like cold incomig air, but the motor itself needs to be up to temp to burn off any condensation. I find this especially true if you are running aluminum heads. For instance, I drove to the track one time and let my car cool down and then did one run. Put some heat in the motor and did another run and the car ran faster. If you already have your setting for your fan set to max, then look at putting a 190 thermostat and see what happens. You can always do what the big rigs do if the weather is too cold and place a piece of cardboard over part of the radiator. Experiment with it until you get it where you like it. Like you said though it's not that cold where you are so I would definitely look at the thermostat first as its the cheapest and quickest to fix other than the cardboard fix. Good luck
Old 30th-January-2011, 10:39 AM   #8
Nova 383

Title: Nova Newbie
My motor is the same way, I run a 195 t-stat, and like you crusing down the hwy it runs about 150. It's the air flow that keeps it cold. You could fab a shutter-stat like the big rigs to restrict the air flow.
Old 30th-January-2011, 10:48 AM   #9
infotom

Nova(s): 1963 vert, 1963 wagon
Has it always done this? Restrict your airflow.

Did it just start? sounds like spring in t-stat is weak or not seating all the way. Replace t- stat.

http://s1036.photobucket.com/albums/...3%20SS%20Vert/
Old 30th-January-2011, 10:51 AM   #10
David&Melissa_h

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova 383 View Post
My motor is the same way, I run a 195 t-stat, and like you crusing down the hwy it runs about 150. It's the air flow that keeps it cold. You could fab a shutter-stat like the big rigs to restrict the air flow.
If your t-stat isn't letting the water flow and your fan is off, the engine is going to create heat. we are talking about 75* air temp I would think going with a 190 tstat is the trick...
Old 30th-January-2011, 10:53 AM   #11
David&Melissa_h

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRouche View Post
Hmm, Ok Im trying to figure out what you are saying (I get the typing issue, I have that also).

But mainly I think you are saying the stat is the problem.

Yes, I would agree if it never actuated. But it does. It kicks in at the temp that it should. 185* Its opening up when the coolant temps finally get to 185*.

Only way I can get the engine up to 185* is if I run it at a high idle (1500rpm) on my driveway. No air flow through the radiator or engine.

Problem is the coolant temps never reach 185* if Im rolling more than an idle through town. If I get going to 40+ mph the coolant temps are still pretty low, 153 or so.

There is NO magic or anything but a frustrating problem for me. I want the engine to get to some decent temps. At this point Id settle for 180*.

And yes, Im thinking the stat is the problem. Not so much thats its a lower 185* stat. But that its opening all the way when it should not. Its not letting the coolant heat up in the block like it should and its popping open before it should.

Im just looking for some consensus before I remove the stat and replace it. I dont want to go through the work before putting it out here, just looking for ideas. JR
Wait for the summer time you will be running hotter
Old 30th-January-2011, 11:07 AM   #12
65novaken

Nova(s): 65 ss
195 or even a 202 stat. i wish i had your problem my bb runs warm
Old 30th-January-2011, 11:26 AM   #13
Burke

Nova(s): 1963 nova wagon
I'm with everyone else here, it sounds like water is going past the thermostat at freeway speed, is it possible that you have enough coolant pressure to force the thermostat open at freeway RPM? I also wonder are you running a heater and could that be contributing to the issue? My car runs right at the thermostat # 195 deg. unless I do what you do and hold the rpm up sitting in the driveway with the fan disconected.
Old 30th-January-2011, 11:34 AM   #14
Burke

Nova(s): 1963 nova wagon
Is there any chance the thermostat is installed updide down?
Old 30th-January-2011, 11:38 AM   #15
sbc1320

Nova(s): Working on it
I had one of the guys at work install the thermostat backwards and it was running hot so I don't think that will do it. Shouldn't matter whether are not it has a heater connected. Heater being a small radiator in itself, I still don't think it would cool that much more.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement