64 nova mini tub project - Chevy Nova Forum
Visit our sponsor, National Nostalgic Nova

Steve's Nova Site is an automotive enthusiast website dedicated to the 1962 - 1979 Chevrolet Nova, Chevy II and Acadian automobiles. We work together to preserve, restore, drive, show, race and provide fellowship for these classic cars. This is one of the best places to find information about parts, rebuilding, restoration and racing. This website is not affiliated with GM, General Motors or Chevrolet in any capacity.

Go Back   Chevy Nova Forum > Body, Chassis and Mechanical > Steering, Suspension, and Chassis

StevesNovaSite.com is the premier Chevrolet Nova Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 23rd-December-2010, 07:02 PM   #1
marctallent

Title: Nova Newbie
Nova(s): 1964
64 nova mini tub project

Im mini tubbing my 64 and adding a TCI 4 link, 9 inch rear end and willwood disc brakes. I will try to keep the steps current. Im putting 315/45/16 mickeys under it with torque thrust 2 wheels...size 9.5 inches wide, 16 inch with 3.5 inch back space. Here are the beginning stages.

Last edited by XINLOI44; 24th-December-2010 at 06:14 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 23rd-December-2010, 07:14 PM   #2
marctallent

Here are some pics of the frame notching. I purchased those EZ tubs to weld in. I like the fact their already stepped since I have very few sheet metal tools and pre drilled. They were 90 bucks, but they made it easy!

Last edited by XINLOI44; 24th-December-2010 at 06:16 PM.
Old 23rd-December-2010, 07:21 PM   #3
marctallent

Here are some pics of the pass side wheel house going back together.

Last edited by XINLOI44; 24th-December-2010 at 06:17 PM.
Old 23rd-December-2010, 07:30 PM   #4
marctallent

Here are some pics of the new trunk hinge mount and the almost finished product on the pass side. I used fiber glass here to clean things up Heres a pic of the wheel under the car. I have about an inch and a quarter of clearance on both sides of the tire. I hope to have the passanger side in a couple days. The TCI 4 link is in the mail and I will be installing it in a couple weeks! Merry Christmas Nova Fans!
Old 24th-December-2010, 07:00 AM   #5
GNNOVA

Title: Nova Junior Member
Nova(s): 1963 Nova HT
Nice work I'm also doing a mini tub on my 63 HT. You can see it elsewhere in this forum. Looks like you have a really nice nova to work on. I like the fact that you're able to perform the mini tub without hurting the exterior of your car. When you're finished you'll be able to drive your car with a whole new look with those big meats under the back.
Old 24th-December-2010, 07:23 AM   #6
Tuckin20s

Title: Nova Guru
Nova(s): White 63 SS Postless
You have done some really great work on your Nova.
The pictures look familiar because my Nova was white with red interior panels when I minitubed it.

IN GOD WE TRUST
Mike
Link to my 63 Nova
COOL AIN"T NEVER CHEAP OR EASY
Old 24th-December-2010, 02:20 PM   #7
marctallent

Thanks you guys. gnnova I studied your pics before I started this project. I have never mini tubbed a car before and your posts helped more than anything thanks man!
Old 24th-December-2010, 02:22 PM   #8
marctallent

Trukin20s I have been checking out your nova for a while now. You have done some really nice work to that car!
Old 24th-December-2010, 03:56 PM   #9
Tuckin20s

Title: Nova Guru
Nova(s): White 63 SS Postless
Thanks my son ZZ3Guy did most of the hard work.I did do alot of the grinding and cosmetic work.He really helped me when I was down from the chemo and couldn't work on it much.I owe most of the way the car looks to him.I'm very lucky to have such a great talented guy for a son.

IN GOD WE TRUST
Mike
Link to my 63 Nova
COOL AIN"T NEVER CHEAP OR EASY
Old 24th-December-2010, 05:48 PM   #10
GNNOVA

Thanks marctallent for the kind words. I believe that for someone to use your work to help them on a project is the greatest compliment. Looks like you will be done before me. I cut my driver's tub out yesterday and will be posting more progress soon. One note: You said about using EZ tub for your filler, you may want to post a link. It looks like they work good and someone else may want to use them.
Old 25th-December-2010, 09:05 PM   #11
marctallent

I got the drivers side rolling this mourning, for those of you who are interested in using those EZ tub inserts I purchased mine from fabquest.com I have seen them on detroitspeed.com also. Here are some shots of the drivers side.I made a mistake here, I cut the tub to close to the factory sheet metal step in the tub and did not leave enough metal to use the pre drilled plug weld holes just in the back of the wheel house.
Here you can see the exposed holes in the wheel well. In this pic I want to show you what else not to do! Make sure your cut is perfectly straight! As you can see mine was not and It makes it a little difficult to align. I read in hot rod mag they have half inch wide magnets that are like 3 feet long that you can lay in the tub. They will curve with the wheel well, but not bend side to side giving you a perfectly straight line to use as a guide when cutting. Here I tacked the inside and used sheet metal screws on the outside to hold the tub in place, then traced a line in the floor, removed the outside tub and had a good line to notch the frame.
Pic of the frame after notching and welding in new plate. Its hard to admit when youve screwed up, but heres another shot of what happens when your cut is not quite straight. I hope to wrap up welding and fiberglass tomorrow. Ill post some more then.
Old 1st-January-2011, 08:13 PM   #12
marctallent

This is after I cleaned the undercarrage
Old 2nd-January-2011, 08:43 AM   #13
GNNOVA

Nice work. I hope mine turns out as nice as yours. I hope you'll be posting pictures of the suspension install. I'd like to see how it'll look complete.
Old 2nd-January-2011, 02:39 PM   #14
psv

Nova(s): 1963 SS
Nice work. Its gonna look great with all that tire under there.
Old 2nd-January-2011, 04:45 PM   #15
marctallent

Thanks, I should be getting the tci 4 link tomorrow. I have to paint it and will be posting when I start installing it. I sold the 10 bolt and am going to get a 9 inch, but Its going to be a while, that stuff is big bucks for me!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement