Ok so after that was done I moved on to the Subframe parts. This is the good part.
I had to restore the radiator support cause it was rusty. So being that this is a large part i had to do it in two halves. First one side than another. Heres what I started with. You can see that its all rusty.
Heres a pic when I first got the Phosphoric acid on with a good rub down. I first used a wire brush to get all the loose stuff off than sprayed it down and gave another rub down with a stiff brush.
After 8 hours of treatment
After 3 days of treatment. Basically a day and a half on each side.
So next is the Subframe. This was a major challenge because after reading up on other peoples experience with removal of the subframe, I felt that I did not want to deal with alignment issues. So I had to restore it without removing it from car.
So here it is upon removal of engine. Really really nasty!!!
I removed everything from the subframe and will replace it all with new parts. So I took a spatula and scraped away at all the crud to begin the process.
Than I used a degreaser and brushes and scotch brite pads to clean as much as possible. Than i dried it up real good in preparation to use my acid treatment.
This was the largest part to date that I have used the acid on. It took a week for the entire process with 4 of the days dedicated to the acid treatment. Everyday I used heavy duty scotch brite pads with lots of the acid, and making sure to keep it wet. And after the 4 day treatment, it looks like this.
After I did this I attacked the tranny tunnel and part of the undercarriage with degreaser. I then wanted a durable coating with texture so i chose to go with a Truck bed coating. This stuff dries really tuff and has a satin finish and its abrasion resitant. I put 4 coats (6 cans) Looks awesome. I did all parts that I was physically able to get stuff onto. Even as far inside the subframe as I could. The undercarriage (tranny tunnel) was also coated with the truck bed coating. Also I would like to point out that when I did the subframe, I didn't just do the engine portion, but the entire subframe, all the way under the car. Let me tell you it was not easy, but to avoid the alighnment issues I felt it was worth it (thats why it took me a week
). I used everything I could from scotch pad, to brushes and even tooth brushes to ensure I got to all of the subframe with degreasing and treatment.
Heres a closeup of the texture. I also did the Front bumper brackets with the same treatment and truck bed coating. Even inside!
Next, smoothing out the Firewall.