All Engine Mount & Torque limiter Q&A (combined thread) - Chevy Nova Forum
Visit our sponsor, National Nostalgic Nova

Steve's Nova Site is an automotive enthusiast website dedicated to the 1962 - 1979 Chevrolet Nova, Chevy II and Acadian automobiles. We work together to preserve, restore, drive, show, race and provide fellowship for these classic cars. This is one of the best places to find information about parts, rebuilding, restoration and racing. This website is not affiliated with GM, General Motors or Chevrolet in any capacity.

Go Back   Chevy Nova Forum > Body, Chassis and Mechanical > Drivetrain & Performance > Best of Drivetrain & Performance

StevesNovaSite.com is the premier Chevrolet Nova Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 17th-March-2005, 01:35 AM   #1
SuperNova69

Title: Nova Guru
Nova(s): 69 Nova
All Engine Mount & Torque limiter Q&A (combined thread)

K guys, I got a question. I'm thinking I need a "torque strap" (not sure what they're really called) for my engine. It's been acting up lately and I thought I had it fixed, but it started acting up again, and the first thing I checked was the timing. It looked ok, so the next thing I thought was that the cap came off because it does that a lot. It was still on. So I decided to take the cap off and check the rotor and that's when I found the problem. The cap has a huge crack in it and the rotor was totally bent. I'm thinking that my motor revved up and slammed into the firewall when I had a busted motor mount on the driver's side. I replaced both mounts but the motor still moves a lot when I rev it. Will polyurethane motor mounts help any or should I just get a torque strap? Also, does anyone actually sell them or do I have to just make my own? I'm thinking if I did get one it would help my electrical stuff, too, since it would improve the ground contact.

Any comments/opinions/advice would be great.

Matt

69 Nova - 357, TKO600, Tru-Turn, awaiting LS1 swap
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 17th-March-2005, 03:59 AM   #2
Zman

I've seen everything from a piece of chain, to cable, even a turnbuckle once...
You can check Jegs, or Summit, but the motor shouldn't move around all that much in teh first place. Maybe you just got some really crappy mounts??
Why not just fix the real problem as suggested in the other post. Do something with the distributer. Either "Clearance" the firewall for the stocer HEI, or look into a small body HEI. There are lots of Distributer choices available.
1929 Model A Coupe Stock
Old 17th-March-2005, 07:37 AM   #3
69NovaSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperNova69
So I decided to take the cap off and check the rotor and that's when I found the problem. The cap has a huge crack in it and the rotor was totally bent. I'm thinking that my motor revved up and slammed into the firewall when I had a busted motor mount on the driver's side. I replaced both mounts but the motor still moves a lot when I rev it. Matt
I am not clear if you have replaced the cap and rotor since you changed your motor mounts? If not that is the first thing I would do before changing anything else. There is little chance a bent rotor and cracked cap will stay on the motor for long.
But as far an engine movement is concerned they do move a bit when reved and that is normal, of course hitting the firewall is not normal, that should be fixed with the new mounts you installed. So I susgest you fix the problems with the distributor first and see if the car is still acting up if it is then look at the mounts / torque strap. The distributor is a much easier fix than the mounts right now and may be all that is needed.

Last edited by 69NovaSS; 17th-March-2005 at 09:47 AM.
Old 17th-March-2005, 09:45 AM   #4
novaboy009

Are you sure you had the cap cranked down all the way? Did you miss one of the tab screws? I did that once and the rotor cracked the cap rather violently.

Kev
Old 17th-March-2005, 10:11 AM   #5
Dawg

Nova(s): 1969 Nova
Pros/cons of solid motor mounts

Just wanted to hear it from the experts.....
Old 17th-March-2005, 11:28 AM   #6
undercvrSS

Nova(s): 67 SS 67 Sedan project
Depends on what your doing with the car. Our race car has solid, and works fine, but I put urethane ones on my 67, and I hate them. For a street car use rubber. With solid you will feel evry vibration in the car, shakes and rattles galore. the benefits are that they won't break very easy, and will out last the rubber. They're also good for the reaction of the car, but they will put more twist in the car.

Last edited by undercvrSS; 17th-March-2005 at 11:30 AM.
Old 17th-March-2005, 12:13 PM   #7
MI-76

Nova(s): 76 2d
my dad's 406 s-10 has solid motor and trans mounts. you can expect some extra vibration,. you can also expect to go over your fasteners on a regular basis and make sure they are still torqued to spec. I know his trans pan bolts get loose, so he's got to keep them in check.
Old 17th-March-2005, 12:18 PM   #8
footbrake68

Nova(s): 1974 Nova, 1968 Camaro RS
Echo the same opinion ... in general - select your parts for all mounts depending on the purpose, HP and torque of your car. If you are driving on the street most of the time and looking for a comfortable ride - then go with good quality rubber bushings and mounts (body, motor, tranny, etc.) If you will be dividing your time between strip / street - then your selection is up to what you want to tolerate during street usage. Canyon carving and road course type applications you can step up to a combination of poly mounts or your preference to stiffen up the car. For the strip or mostly strip applications - drop in aluminum body mounts, welded subframe, traction control and solid mounts for the motor, etc.

Am sure you will get much more specific input from other members who have completed projects for different purposes - but these guidelines should be pretty good to start.

Hope that helps ...
1998 Firebird TA Ram Air Conv LS1
http://photobucket.com/albums/y182/footbrake68/
Old 17th-March-2005, 03:22 PM   #9
Dawg

Nova(s): 1969 Nova
It's for a street/strip use. I never thought with solid motor mounts it works the bolts loose. I guess something that is better than the stock rubber ones.
Old 17th-March-2005, 04:31 PM   #10
NovatoriusRex

Nova(s): 67 Chevy II Nova Hardtop
When planning my motor install, I knew I didn't want to go solid because it didn't make much sense for a car that won't see the track more than a few times a year. For a dedicated racer, possibly.

I also didn't want to worry about rubber ones wearing out quickly and needing to be replaced.

Since I'm not overly concerned with vibration that is going to be tranmitted using poly engine mounts, I chose those. We'll see how the car likes it. My thought is that unless you're driving the car every day, poly is the way to go, which is why I went that way.

I want a new duck. One that won't steal my beer... - Weird Al
Old 17th-March-2005, 08:18 PM   #11
SuperNova69

Yeah, when I saw the crack in the cap I immediately went and bought a new cap and rotor. I don't know how good the mounts are, I got them from Autozone (didn't even know they sold them there!) and they looked a LOT better than my old ones. If I rev my engine up from under the hood, you can see the rubber stretching, though. I'm thinking poly mounts might be a future upgrade...or maybe solid...I've probably opened up a can of worms just mentioning those, .

And yes, I plan on eventually getting one of those Crane Cams distributors with the allen wrench adjustable timing, but since it costs $320 for the distributor, another $150 or so for the box (since it says it needs one), and then another $50 or so for a coil, it'll be a while before I can get it. So this big old distributor will have to last.

Matt

Old 17th-March-2005, 09:47 PM   #12
Paul Wright

The pre 73 mounts are more prone to strectching and breaking. That's why GM went to the clamshell mounts. Either put a torque limiter on the drivers side or try this old trick:

Install a solid mount on the drivers side and a regular rubber one on the pass side. Use a self locking nut on the horizontal bolt on the solid side. Don't snug it too tight. That way the engine can float on the rubber mount but not lift.
with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive...
like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
Old 17th-March-2005, 10:38 PM   #13
SuperNova69

Thanks, Paul. I'll probably do whatever's cheaper. I don't mind having to use a solid mount on the driver's side since I want this to be a corner carver, so it's gonna have to have a pretty rigid chassis.

I'll start looking into some solid mounts.

Matt

Old 18th-March-2005, 12:41 AM   #14
novaboy009

I'd wrap a chain around and call it a day. Nothing more than a dollar or two. Didn't they have them as a factory option on the Z/28's?

Kev

Last edited by novaboy009; 18th-March-2005 at 09:33 AM.
Old 18th-March-2005, 01:21 AM   #15
72GreenRally

Nova(s): '72 Green Rally Nova
Quote:
Originally Posted by novaboy009
I wrap a chain around and call it a day. Nothing more than a dollar or two. Didn't they have them as a factory option on the Z/28's?

Kev
Chain wrapped around it?? I am thinking not a factory option. Sounds more like an option added by one with crimson colored cranial support.

Randy (might have to send that one to Foxworthy!!)
Advertisement