200-R4 swap!! - Chevy Nova Forum
Visit our sponsor, National Nostalgic Nova

Steve's Nova Site is an automotive enthusiast website dedicated to the 1962 - 1979 Chevrolet Nova, Chevy II and Acadian automobiles. We work together to preserve, restore, drive, show, race and provide fellowship for these classic cars. This is one of the best places to find information about parts, rebuilding, restoration and racing. This website is not affiliated with GM, General Motors or Chevrolet in any capacity.

Go Back   Chevy Nova Forum > Body, Chassis and Mechanical > Drivetrain & Performance

StevesNovaSite.com is the premier Chevrolet Nova Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 21st-September-2010, 08:58 AM   #1
wcjames01

Title: Nova Junior Member
Nova(s): 62' 4dr sedan
200-R4 swap!!

I am looking at swaping out my 2 speed power glide for a 200-r4. Can any one tell me if this will be a 3 or a 4 speed transmission? I am needing to do this to try to get better gas milage. Will this help? I would think so because it will lower the RPM. The only other thing, is that I don't know if it is a auotmatic or a manual. I hope that it is a auto. Any feed back would be greatly appricated.

This is a used 200-R4 out of an 84 v-6 Camaro. It worked fine when it was pulled a few years ago. Comes with torque converter. $125 OR BEST OFFER!!! Call, Test, or Email. Please leave message if no answer. 864-505-0848

it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

PostingID:# 1923106861 ( It is in Greenville Sc. )

Thanks everyone,

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 21st-September-2010, 09:15 AM   #2
Burke

Title: Nova Guru
Nova(s): 1963 nova wagon
200R4 is a 4speed automatic. It should help considerably with mileage since 4th is OD. You will probably not recover the cost of the swap in fuel savings for several years though.

Last edited by Burke; 21st-September-2010 at 09:17 AM.
Old 21st-September-2010, 09:23 AM   #3
wcjames01

R4 Swap

Thanks for the info. I thought that the 125.00 sounded like a very good deal, if it's in good shape. Is there any Trans mount changing or drive shaft changing? I'm just trying to get my ducks in a row

Thanks,

Old 21st-September-2010, 09:25 AM   #4
wcjames01

R4 Swap

[QUOTE= You will probably not recover the cost of the swap in fuel savings for several years though.[/QUOTE]

Meaning what? I get about 12 miles to the gallon.

Thanks,

Old 21st-September-2010, 09:46 AM   #5
Burke

You will need to shorten the driveshaft, get a new trans mount and crossmember, install cooling lines and a cooler, tv cable and brackets, converter lockup switch new shifter etc. you're probably looking at close to thousand dollars + the trans. by the time you get it installed and working.

I don't know what engine and trans you have now, but if you're only getting 12 mpg now you're money may be better spent on a good tune up.
Old 21st-September-2010, 09:53 AM   #6
wcjames01

Swap

I currently have a in-line 250 w/1bbl and 2 speed power glide. Might you suggest something that will give me a highway gear, lower the RPM and give a little better gas mileage. This motor was just swaped out about 2 months ago. The only thing done was machineing the head to level it back out, new plugs, new HEI cap and wire. Majority of the oil was lost during bringing the motor home, ( it turned over in the truck ) so I added 4 qts and now it reads full and the oil looks ok.

Thanks,

Old 21st-September-2010, 10:03 AM   #7
Burke

Taller rear tires is probably the cheapest way to get a taller gear, most first gen Novas will fit up to about 26 1/4" diameter with out modification. A taller rear end gear (lower numerical ratio) if you can't get what you want from just tires.
I would expect to see freeway mileage in the high teens with your 6 in a stock aplication. You might want to try tuning the advance timing and carbeurator first to see if you can't get some better mileage first though.
Old 21st-September-2010, 10:14 AM   #8
wcjames01

Swap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burke View Post
Taller rear tires is probably the cheapest way to get a taller gear, most first gen Novas will fit up to about 26 1/4" diameter with out modification. A taller rear end gear (lower numerical ratio) if you can't get what you want from just tires.
I would expect to see freeway mileage in the high teens with your 6 in a stock aplication. You might want to try tuning the advance timing and carbeurator first to see if you can't get some better mileage first though.
I generally have to fill up about every 3 days after driving about42 miles per day. I am currently running 195/65/15 on the rear. I do know that I need to have my carb rejetted. The timming was set accurate by another Nova Guru from this site that lives local.

Old 21st-September-2010, 10:15 AM   #9
batman09

Nova(s): 1967 Ht & 1962 wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burke View Post
You will need to shorten the driveshaft, get a new trans mount and crossmember, install cooling lines and a cooler, tv cable and brackets, converter lockup switch new shifter etc. you're probably looking at close to thousand dollars + the trans. by the time you get it installed and working.

I don't know what engine and trans you have now, but if you're only getting 12 mpg now you're money may be better spent on a good tune up.
Is shortening the driveshaft a first gen thing>I did not have to do anything on my second gen driveshaft when I di my swap?thanks bm

1967 Nova-----Ls3/4L70e
Old 21st-September-2010, 10:16 AM   #10
novaconv63

Title: Nova Senior Member
Nova(s): 63 Convertible 64 Wagon
200r

I think that with the 200r you can use your original driveshaft, at least you can with a V8. You will need a new trans crossmember and a 200r dipstick, transcooler, TV Cable and linkage and most likely some sort of TV lockup switch. If you are trying to do this yourself, I suggest reading up on it. A good place to start is bowtie overdrives.
Old 21st-September-2010, 10:27 AM   #11
Burke

My bad on driveshaft length, it looks like the powerglide and 200r4 are close enough in length.
Old 21st-September-2010, 11:00 AM   #12
wcjames01

Swap

But I will still have to do all of the other stuff though? Why wouldn't it just hook and go? I just need a highway gear so I don't put so much strain on my little motor.

Thanks,

Old 21st-September-2010, 12:00 PM   #13
ChevyBelly

Nova(s): 1978
if you do your homework you should do ok. I would start at montecarloss.com. those cars came factory with 200-4r. if the p glide is close in length to the th 350, then your driveshaf will be ok. before you buy a crossmember I would see if yours would fit. ive heard of guys removing the tab where the mount bolts to and rewelding it. All I did was spin mine around and move it back. the subframe already had a few sets of holes and I only had to drill 2 new holes for everything to fit. After that, you will need TV cable, dipstick, geometry corrector bracket, overdrive tv cable bracket, trans cooler ( a must) and cooler lines.

I think most 200-4rs are lock up converters so its like it has 5 gears....4th is OD and you can activate the torque converter to lock up which drops the rpms another 500. You do not NEED the lock up function, the nit will shift fine through 1-4 and rpms will be really low.

You might be better off uprading to a th 350. They are a dime a dozen and are less headaches, stronger and cheaper.

drop the pan on any used tranny you buy. inspect the amount of debris present and the color of the fluid. also the smell of the fluid. if it smells burnt, dark red or tons of debris, run as fast as you can. a tranny swap is a lot of work to gamble on a used unit.

my monte carlo ss 200-4R swap

Last edited by ChevyBelly; 21st-September-2010 at 12:02 PM.
Old 21st-September-2010, 12:37 PM   #14
Rotorbolt

Nova(s): 1964 Chevy II 400 4dr sed
glad to see you got the engine up and running fine. More than likely you have a 3:08 gear. A 2004r might not be compatable with this gear ratio. I would suggest finding out for sure what rear gear you have. Do you have a tach installed? What rpms are you running on the highway?
I've got a TH350 in mine right now, which was way eaisier and inexpensive to swap over too..However, I do find myself also wanting to change over to a 2004r whenever I'm buzzing down the highway.
But you will have to get the crossmember or make your own if you do change over. The stock driveshaft will work fine and you don't need to shorten it. You would if you were installing a 700r4 transmission.
The most important part of the swap is the tv cabel and its adustment.
Old 21st-September-2010, 04:00 PM   #15
rhorne12

Nova(s): 1962 Nova
You need to check if the trans came from a 2.8 or a 4.3 engine Camaro. The 4.3 is 6 cylinders of a 350 but the 2.8 has a different bell pattern and will not bolt to your engine.
I have seen people do this on the cheap and carefully adjust your current shifter to properly operate park, reverse, neutral, and drive. You can do this but you cannot get the lower gears manually.
The TV cable should come with the trans and most junk yards around here will give you the dipstick tube with the trans.
The drive shaft will work as is.
The cooler is very important but you can get one locally for cheap. It doesn't have to be very big.
All you need for the lock up converter is a toggle switch and a wiring diagram and connector as the trans connector is special. Pull-a-part is a good source for that.
Whatever rear gear you have, the engine rpm with the converter locked will be reduced to 67%(I think) of the rpm it now turns at any given speed.
You also need to fix your problem with your current set up as you should be getting much more than 12mpg!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement