oily plugs, smoke from right tail pipe - Chevy Nova Forum
Visit our sponsor, National Nostalgic Nova

Steve's Nova Site is an automotive enthusiast website dedicated to the 1962 - 1979 Chevrolet Nova, Chevy II and Acadian automobiles. We work together to preserve, restore, drive, show, race and provide fellowship for these classic cars. This is one of the best places to find information about parts, rebuilding, restoration and racing. This website is not affiliated with GM, General Motors or Chevrolet in any capacity.

Go Back   Chevy Nova Forum > Body, Chassis and Mechanical > Drivetrain & Performance

StevesNovaSite.com is the premier Chevrolet Nova Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 6th-August-2010, 08:09 AM   #1
ChevyBelly

Title: Nova Guru
Nova(s): 1978
oily plugs, smoke from right tail pipe

Plugs on the right bank have oil on the threads, but the electrodes are clean with a brownish, tan color. The # 8 electrode is covered bad in carbon/oil mixture. could this be from a leaking valve cover or header gasket? The # 8 plug usually has a slight amount of oil inside the plug boot at the spark plug, and maybe a little spot on the white part of the plug. Plugs are Autolight Platinum AP26. my combo is 350 with 416 305 heads. exact compression is unknown, but im assuming 9:1 at the least. Or is this something bigger like seals? After like 20 miles I get smoke from the right tail pipe. I used cork valve cover gaskets with some RTV

Last edited by ChevyBelly; 6th-August-2010 at 08:25 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 6th-August-2010, 08:50 AM   #2
balljoint

Nova(s): 1978 chevy nova
pull the valve cover see if oil drain back is plugged
Old 6th-August-2010, 09:03 AM   #3
Paul Wright

Automatic? Is the vacuum modulator hose connected to the vacuum port on the #8 intake runner? If so, disconnect the hose at the modulator and see if ATF dribbles out. If it does, your modulator diaphragm is cracked.
with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive...
like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
Old 6th-August-2010, 11:25 AM   #4
ChevyBelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Wright View Post
Automatic? Is the vacuum modulator hose connected to the vacuum port on the #8 intake runner? If so, disconnect the hose at the modulator and see if ATF dribbles out. If it does, your modulator diaphragm is cracked.
auto yes, but its a 200-4R from a mcss, so just the TV cable

Quote:
Originally Posted by balljoint View Post
pull the valve cover see if oil drain back is plugged
are the oil drain backs just holes in the head castings?
Old 6th-August-2010, 01:17 PM   #5
ChevyBelly

went out at lunch to inspect after the ride into work today. you could see the oil on the outside of the # 8 plug and in the boot cap. the valve covers dont have any signs of oil leakage from what I can see. # 4 has oily threads, but a clean tip...could the oil seals or guides be bad and the oil leaking down the valve, and out the spark plug? Leaving oil on the threads, but the cylinders combustion cleaning the electrodes?
Old 6th-August-2010, 02:23 PM   #6
Lugnut79

Nova(s): 67 Chevy II
Have the correct plugs in the heads? Gasket or non gasket? Tapered? If that cylinder has some blowby you could get oil on the threads if the wrong plugs are used.

http://s609.photobucket.com/albums/tt179/Lugnut79/Car/
Old 6th-August-2010, 02:57 PM   #7
grnova

Nova(s): 65 nova
Check you intake gasket on the bottom, then check you valve heights when valve cover is off. did you have any detonation? Maybe stretch a valve. Here are my spark plugs the right is the pass side. intake gasket on bottom sucked oil from oil valley into heads.

Old 6th-August-2010, 03:26 PM   #8
ChevyBelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lugnut79 View Post
Have the correct plugs in the heads? Gasket or non gasket? Tapered? If that cylinder has some blowby you could get oil on the threads if the wrong plugs are used.
Just use what the part store looks up for an 1986 camaro w 305?? I have the 1401416 305 heads. If not, what plugs do you reccomend?

Quote:
Originally Posted by grnova View Post
Check you intake gasket on the bottom, then check you valve heights when valve cover is off. did you have any detonation? Maybe stretch a valve. Here are my spark plugs the right is the pass side. intake gasket on bottom sucked oil from oil valley into heads.

Thanks for the pics. I guess Ill plan for new gaskets all around. Should I replace the valve seals also? Machine shop said my 80's 305 heads should have ftory seals that are better than the umbrella type. He said the oil inside the boot and on the plug indicates an external leak.

I used cork valve cover gaskets with the help of RTV, fel pro (blue) intake manifold gaskets, and these Seal 4 Good header gaskes. The header gaskets are like 2 pieces of metal gasket sandwiched together and are supposed to be reusable. Any reccomendations on which gaskets I should use?

Oh yea, how do I check valve height assuming the cam specs are unknown?
Old 6th-August-2010, 03:42 PM   #9
Paul Wright

Check the intake bolts around #8 for torque.
with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive...
like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
Old 6th-August-2010, 05:28 PM   #10
ronnie smith jr

Title: Nova Senior Member
Nova(s): 66 Super Sport
Chevybelly,

I like the FelPro blue sandwich gaskets for the valvecovers as well. Similar design, as you described with the exhaust but for the valvecovers. Ran them on my superstocker for a couple of years without failure.

Sounds like you may have a little blow by on the valve seals IMO. Some how oil is getting through the combustion chamber into the exhaust if you are seeing smoke "out" of the exhaust. Have you checked/compared your exhaust tail pipe to see if it has an oily film or black carbon deposits different than the driver side?

Just my 2cents.
Old 6th-August-2010, 09:40 PM   #11
ChevyBelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie smith jr View Post
Chevybelly,

I like the FelPro blue sandwich gaskets for the valvecovers as well. Similar design, as you described with the exhaust but for the valvecovers. Ran them on my superstocker for a couple of years without failure.

Sounds like you may have a little blow by on the valve seals IMO. Some how oil is getting through the combustion chamber into the exhaust if you are seeing smoke "out" of the exhaust. Have you checked/compared your exhaust tail pipe to see if it has an oily film or black carbon deposits different than the driver side?

Just my 2cents.
Hello Ronnie,

I did check the tail pipe when it was smokey and there wass an oil film in the exhaust. I didnt check the other side. I will.

Paul, so the intake bolts could be overtorqued? I couldnt get my torque wrench in the grooves of the intake for all the bolts. I have since picked up a swivel adapter. maybe that will allow me to get proper torque spec. will a compression test will eliminate the rings right?
Old 6th-August-2010, 11:24 PM   #12
Sgt._Grumpy

Title: Nova Junior Member
Nova(s): 65 SS
Had the same issues quite a few years back, fouled #8 plug and smoke coming from the exhaust on the right side. Made a stupid mistake I overlooked, never installed breathers on the engine. (took a 17 year old kid to point out the problem) Put breathers on both valve covers, problem solved. Could it be your problem?
Old 7th-August-2010, 09:59 AM   #13
ChevyBelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt._Grumpy View Post
Had the same issues quite a few years back, fouled #8 plug and smoke coming from the exhaust on the right side. Made a stupid mistake I overlooked, never installed breathers on the engine. (took a 17 year old kid to point out the problem) Put breathers on both valve covers, problem solved. Could it be your problem?
one cover has the pcv valve and the other has a breather, but it probably ancient. try replacing them?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement