Holley 650 hard to re-start - Chevy Nova Forum
Visit our sponsor, National Nostalgic Nova

Steve's Nova Site is an automotive enthusiast website dedicated to the 1962 - 1979 Chevrolet Nova, Chevy II and Acadian automobiles. We work together to preserve, restore, drive, show, race and provide fellowship for these classic cars. This is one of the best places to find information about parts, rebuilding, restoration and racing. This website is not affiliated with GM, General Motors or Chevrolet in any capacity.

Go Back   Chevy Nova Forum > Body, Chassis and Mechanical > Drivetrain & Performance

StevesNovaSite.com is the premier Chevrolet Nova Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 21st-July-2010, 04:14 PM   #1
nova64000

Title: Nova Guru
Nova(s): 64 2 door Sedan
Holley 650 hard to re-start

I got my rebuilt 650 running good but the only thing is after you shut it off it is hard to re-start...I could turn the key off and right back on and I would have to crank it over while feathering the gas on and off for atleast a minute..I thought maybe it was vapor lock as I re-plumbed the fuel line with a fuel filter when I swapped carbs ... The fuel line looked ok except a small portion of it is near the lower radiator hose... I checked the timing and it was a little retarded so I bumped it up to 12 initial and re-adjusted the mixture...That helped a little but still isn't quite right...when I move the throttle I can see fuel coming out the squrters but when I crank it I can see a little bit of vapor rising from the carb... Im wondering what inside the carb might cause hard starting, could it be the float level? What else might I try aside from just tuning the mixture and timing?

Nick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 21st-July-2010, 04:21 PM   #2
the FLYER

Nova(s): B Pillar of Society
i have the heat insulating covering waiting for installation...

my car starts very quickly when cold. once hot if it sits for 30 minutes or so i have the same issue. pedal to the floor, i hit start maybe 5 or 6 times, but not continually cranking, and it starts.

i'm going to insulate the line before the pump where it runs close to my headers and see if that cures my hot start issues.
Old 21st-July-2010, 05:11 PM   #3
nova64000

I had just a regular hose running from my fuel filter to my fuel line then one day it wouldn't start as the carb wasn't getting any fuel...The rubber hose was kinked so I replaced it with a steel braded line...The fuel line hose isn't near my header and I loosely zip tied the filter to the brake line. The steel braded part is near my lower radiator hose though, I might insulate the fuel line just as insurance...
Old 21st-July-2010, 05:27 PM   #4
D-Man

I would say it definitely sounds like it's flooding after you shut it off.

A high float level (and/or bad needle and seat) will allow fuel to drip from the boosters once the engine is shut off. (It will typically cause a rich idle as well)..

This will make it seem like it's flooded when you try to restart it.....IE have to put it to the floor for it to crank.

That's where I would start.

Vapor lock won't cause your issue.....Trouble restarting.
Just because the fuel boils in the fuel line once it's shut off doesn't mean there still isn't fuel in the bowls.
The fuel in the bowls alone is enough to start it and run it for a few seconds.

The next thing I would check for is a bad power valve of metering block gasket.
Old 21st-July-2010, 05:44 PM   #5
nova64000

I installed a new 6.5 power valve...The floats looked new but they are the plastic ones made by Holley...I guess the next thing I should try is re adjusting the float level...
Old 21st-July-2010, 08:07 PM   #6
Seattle_Mike

Title: Moderator
You should START with setting the float level. What is your fuel pressure? How did you adjust the mixture (what process)? What is your total timing? How much vacuum do you have at idle?
Old 21st-July-2010, 08:37 PM   #7
nova64000

I set the float level at about half and than tweaked it after I got it started a couple of weeks ago....I don't have a vacuum gauge or a fuel pressure gauge... Right now the timing is at 12 and 36 I adjusted the mixture by turning the mixture screw in till the engine started to die and backed it off about a 1/4 to 1/2 a turn and set the idle at about 800 rpm...The Jets are 67 in the front and 76 in the rear...

The rest of the set up is a basic 350 with 882 heads and a mild mystery cam installed by the previous owner(wish I knew the specs)... a basic performer intake and 1'spacer... Newer MSD HEI dist with new plugs and wires, 3000 stall and 411 gears in the rear...

I will try lowering the float level next...
Old 22nd-July-2010, 09:15 PM   #8
Joe Buddy

You mentioned vapor in the carb with the engine shut down. Sometimes that is a good indicator that fuel is leaking into the intake and the heat is vaporizing it. I had that problem with my Edelbrock and it was driving me crazy. It died when I stoped and was hard to restart. I had pulled the carb off and noticed the thick fog in the intake. It was soaked with gas. My floats were way off from the factory. I fixed that problem but the carb still doesn't run right. I have a Holley for it but it's just too hot to fool with it now. Good luck.
Old 22nd-July-2010, 09:33 PM   #9
taz3

Title: Moderator
Nova(s): 2 69 SS BB L78's & 69 4dr
What distributor are you running? I had the exact problem with my BB Nova and my son's race car started acting up too. Neither car wouldn't start after driving them or racing, ended up to be the pickup coil in the HEI distributors. Both of them were aftermarket distributors, as soon as I changed them they're running great with no starting issues now. I thought it was the carb too, adjusted then again and again, and each time it seemed better until the pickup finally burt out at 2 cylinders. I diagnosed the second one much sooner, because it was the same as the other.

Old 23rd-July-2010, 02:26 PM   #10
nova64000

I have an MSD Streetfire HEI...

I tried adjusting the floats but its still not right. Maybe one of the needle and seats are bad ??? While tuning it, it developed an off idle stumble which may be caused by one of the accelerator pumps...This was a carb that was rebuilt and then put on the shelf. When I took it apart it was clean and it doesn't leak fuel anywhere...

The carb may not need to be completely rebuilt but I decided to buy "Quick Kit" for $50 as I'm tired of farting around with it. All the Holley carb websites say its better just to buy a kit than throw individual parts at it...

When the kit arrives next week I will replace both the needle and seats, both accelerator pumps, and the power valve...
Old 24th-July-2010, 06:15 AM   #11
belair_54

Title: Nova Junior Member
Most gm starter motors have an extra terminal marked igntion this is to supply full 12v power to your ignition system when cranking your motor i know it makes a huge difference with a points ignition i always hook this wire up. Without it my motor always used to fire just as i stopped cranking.
hard starting could be your ignition not your carb maybe?
Old 17th-August-2010, 01:57 AM   #12
spark

Title: Nova Newbie
Nova(s): 63 Vert
I have the same issue with my edelbrock 1406, so just ordered this 1" phenolic spacer: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/EDL-8711

Hopefully it's just heat soak on the carb
Old 17th-August-2010, 11:42 AM   #13
nova64000

I rebuilt the carb and and started adjusting the floats then the battery died, This was just before I left for vacation, so it will wait till I get back this weekend...

If all else fails I'll try the spacer...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement