1 piece vs 2 piece rear main seal - Chevy Nova Forum
Visit our sponsor, National Nostalgic Nova
 
Steve's Nova Site is an automotive enthusiast website dedicated to the 1962 - 1979 Chevrolet Nova, Chevy II and Acadian automobiles. We work together to preserve, restore, drive, show, race and provide fellowship for these classic cars. This is one of the best places to find information about parts, rebuilding, restoration and racing. This website is not affiliated with GM, General Motors or Chevrolet in any capacity.

Go Back   Chevy Nova Forum > Body, Chassis and Mechanical > Drivetrain & Performance


StevesNovaSite.com is the premier Chevrolet Nova Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23rd-June-2010, 10:27 PM   #1
Virtue
 
Virtue's Avatar

Title: Nova Newbie
iTrader: (0)
Status: Offline
Join Date: May 2010
Location: San Mateo, CA
Nova(s): 1963 Chevy MoreDoor
Posts: 19
1 piece vs 2 piece rear main seal

Wondering what's the difference between the two? How can I tell what I have? Running a GM 350. I'm planning to switch out my rear sump oil pan to a front sump. Thanks!
__________________
1963 Chevy II Nova 400 Moredoor
  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 23rd-June-2010, 10:33 PM   #2
yeah baby
 
yeah baby's Avatar

Title: Nova Senior Member
iTrader: (0)
Status: Offline
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: nj
Nova(s): 67 nova. 502 bbc, brodix
Posts: 294
search the block number, the one piece leaks less and is changeable, i hear some 2 piece blocks are way stronger. ! piece is a newer block and most accept factory roller cam, different flexplates
__________________
damn thing cost alot to build!
  Reply With Quote
Old 23rd-June-2010, 11:15 PM   #3
Virtue
 
Virtue's Avatar

Title: Nova Newbie
iTrader: (0)
Status: Offline
Join Date: May 2010
Location: San Mateo, CA
Nova(s): 1963 Chevy MoreDoor
Posts: 19
Will the type of oil pan I get depend on what type of seal I have?
__________________
1963 Chevy II Nova 400 Moredoor
  Reply With Quote
Old 23rd-June-2010, 11:51 PM   #4
tnblkc230wz
 
tnblkc230wz's Avatar

Title: Nova Guru
iTrader: (5)
Status: Offline
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Memphis, TN
Nova(s): 1971 Nova
Posts: 4,370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virtue View Post
Will the type of oil pan I get depend on what type of seal I have?
Yes. Each style requires a different pan.
__________________
71 Nova, Pro-Touring/Autocross
LS3 eRod, 6 speed.
  Reply With Quote
Old 23rd-June-2010, 11:59 PM   #5
elephantrider70
 
elephantrider70's Avatar

Title: Nova Guru
iTrader: (0)
Status: Offline
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: new york li
Nova(s): 71 nova
Posts: 655
most 1 pc also have center bolt valve covers except for 85+86 years ifit is all original
  Reply With Quote
Old 24th-June-2010, 12:04 AM   #6
Ryan V64SS
 
Ryan V64SS's Avatar

Title: Nova Guru
iTrader: (32)
Status: Offline
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: The Bay, trick
Nova(s): 64 SS, 63 Sedan
Posts: 3,579
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virtue View Post
Wondering what's the difference between the two? How can I tell what I have? Running a GM 350. I'm planning to switch out my rear sump oil pan to a front sump. Thanks!
I dont think there is a one piece front sump pan available so pray for a 2 piece motor.

This is how to tell, a 1 piece motor has a completely round flange and the seal rides on the perimiter of the flange. A 2 piece seals on the rear bearing journal and the flange is not completely round unless you have a pre 68 small journal motor.
  Reply With Quote
Old 24th-June-2010, 12:46 AM   #7
Virtue
 
Virtue's Avatar

Title: Nova Newbie
iTrader: (0)
Status: Offline
Join Date: May 2010
Location: San Mateo, CA
Nova(s): 1963 Chevy MoreDoor
Posts: 19
Thanks for the help guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeah baby View Post
search the block number, the one piece leaks less and is changeable, i hear some 2 piece blocks are way stronger. ! piece is a newer block and most accept factory roller cam, different flexplates
Since the motor is still in, no way to see the block number. I found a receipt from the previous owner when he got the engine replaced in 2004 though. It's a GM Goodwrench 5.7L 350 CID - Part 10067353.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan V64SS View Post
I dont think there is a one piece front sump pan available so pray for a 2 piece motor.
I found some sumps here

OIL PAN V8 - FRONT SUMP 5QT 1 PIECE REAR MAIN

OIL PAN V8 - FRONT SUMP 5QT 2 PIECE REAR MAIN

Thanks again!
__________________
1963 Chevy II Nova 400 Moredoor
  Reply With Quote
Old 24th-June-2010, 12:55 AM   #8
Ryan V64SS
 
Ryan V64SS's Avatar

Title: Nova Guru
iTrader: (32)
Status: Offline
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: The Bay, trick
Nova(s): 64 SS, 63 Sedan
Posts: 3,579
If thats the generic low HP replacement motor then it is a 2 piece rear seal, at least the one i bought new was a few years ago. They also have a dipstick pad on both sides but the pan will seal with enough silicone

Do an internet search with that part number, it will come up and probably answer your questions.
  Reply With Quote
Old 24th-June-2010, 01:31 AM   #9
NovatoriusRex
 
NovatoriusRex's Avatar

Title: Nova Guru
iTrader: (1)
Status: Offline
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: NW, Oregon
Nova(s): 67 Chevy II Nova Hardtop
Posts: 14,622
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan V64SS View Post
I dont think there is a one piece front sump pan available so pray for a 2 piece motor.

This is how to tell, a 1 piece motor has a completely round flange and the seal rides on the perimiter of the flange. A 2 piece seals on the rear bearing journal and the flange is not completely round unless you have a pre 68 small journal motor.
Front sump 1pc rear main seal pans are indeed available. Chevy2only sells them, and I'm other large Nova parts vendors carry them too.

The biggest difference I found, when I accidentally got shipped a 2pc pan instead of a 1pc seal pan was that the rear seal area was much larger in area than the 2pc, so there was a bigger cutout in the rear of the pan where it goes around the rear crank flange.
__________________
-Brent



I want a new duck. One that won't steal my beer... - Weird Al
  Reply With Quote
Old 24th-June-2010, 01:51 AM   #10
Ryan V64SS
 
Ryan V64SS's Avatar

Title: Nova Guru
iTrader: (32)
Status: Offline
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: The Bay, trick
Nova(s): 64 SS, 63 Sedan
Posts: 3,579
Quote:
Originally Posted by NovatoriusRex View Post
Front sump 1pc rear main seal pans are indeed available. Chevy2only sells them, and I'm other large Nova parts vendors carry them too.

The biggest difference I found, when I accidentally got shipped a 2pc pan instead of a 1pc seal pan was that the rear seal area was much larger in area than the 2pc, so there was a bigger cutout in the rear of the pan where it goes around the rear crank flange.
Yeah, I got schooled, they made none of that stuff 10-15 years ago when all I did was work on my Nova's. People are soo lucky now with all the parts available.

When I wanted parts i had two choices, the junk-yard or Novajoe

I remember someone welding the top half of a one piece pan to the bottom half of a front sump pan to drop in a vortec motor Lotta work back then, now the pan is 80 bucks.
  Reply With Quote
Old 24th-June-2010, 02:02 AM   #11
Virtue
 
Virtue's Avatar

Title: Nova Newbie
iTrader: (0)
Status: Offline
Join Date: May 2010
Location: San Mateo, CA
Nova(s): 1963 Chevy MoreDoor
Posts: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan V64SS View Post
When I wanted parts i had two choices, the junk-yard or Novajoe
Nice pull. Just found out that Novajoe lives not too far from me. I'll hit him up and see what I can get. Thanks!
__________________
1963 Chevy II Nova 400 Moredoor
  Reply With Quote
Old 24th-June-2010, 02:25 AM   #12
luepke75
 
luepke75's Avatar

Title: Nova Guru
iTrader: (67)
Status: Offline
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Modesto, Ca
Nova(s): 63SS,63LR,68
Posts: 2,146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan V64SS View Post
Yeah, I got schooled, they made none of that stuff 10-15 years ago when all I did was work on my Nova's. People are soo lucky now with all the parts available.

When I wanted parts i had two choices, the junk-yard or Novajoe

.
X2 Im only 35 and I remember the old days
  Reply With Quote
Old 24th-June-2010, 04:27 AM   #13
lktna
 
lktna's Avatar

Title: Nova Guru
iTrader: (0)
Status: Offline
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Sellersburg, IN
Nova(s): 1971 Nova SS- sold 62 Ch
Posts: 535
A 1 piece rear main and 2 piece rear main have different flywheels as well. A 1 piece will have a 3" bolt pattern and a 2 piece will have a 3.5" bolt pattern. I prefer the 1 piece myself just because of less leakage.
  Reply With Quote
Old 24th-June-2010, 08:25 AM   #14
onecarnut
 
onecarnut's Avatar

Title: Nova Guru
iTrader: (4)
Status: Offline
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Arkansas
Nova(s): 1968 Chevy II
Posts: 2,804
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan V64SS View Post
If thats the generic low HP replacement motor then it is a 2 piece rear seal, at least the one i bought new was a few years ago. They also have a dipstick pad on both sides but the pan will seal with enough silicone

Do an internet search with that part number, it will come up and probably answer your questions.
I am pretty sure that the engine PN 10067353 is GM's basic universal engine and has a 2 piece rear main.
__________________

Gone but not forgotten
  Reply With Quote
Old 24th-June-2010, 07:27 PM   #15
Ryan V64SS
 
Ryan V64SS's Avatar

Title: Nova Guru
iTrader: (32)
Status: Offline
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: The Bay, trick
Nova(s): 64 SS, 63 Sedan
Posts: 3,579
Quote:
Originally Posted by luepke75 View Post
X2 Im only 35 and I remember the old days
I'll be 35 next month

Miss those old days of going to Pick Your Part, or Pick, N, Pull and there always being a 1st gen there maybe 2 or 3 of them. There were some really nice oned that I can remember...
  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2 Piece and 1 piece rear main seal blocks taz3 Drivetrain & Performance 6 27th-December-2009 01:57 PM
replacing single piece rear main seal fngsdad Drivetrain & Performance 3 29th-November-2007 06:44 PM
Rear main seal, 1 piece, or 2 piece? 70SS350 Drivetrain & Performance 4 13th-August-2007 08:55 PM
2 piece rear main seal question? nabit Drivetrain & Performance 2 15th-April-2007 12:28 PM


Site best viewed set to 1024 x 768.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:24 AM.

Custom Designed for Steve's Nova Site by: vBSkinworks

 
Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Lt

Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.