New throw out bearing same noise muncie 4 - Chevy Nova Forum
Visit our sponsor, National Nostalgic Nova

Steve's Nova Site is an automotive enthusiast website dedicated to the 1962 - 1979 Chevrolet Nova, Chevy II and Acadian automobiles. We work together to preserve, restore, drive, show, race and provide fellowship for these classic cars. This is one of the best places to find information about parts, rebuilding, restoration and racing. This website is not affiliated with GM, General Motors or Chevrolet in any capacity.

Go Back   Chevy Nova Forum > Body, Chassis and Mechanical > Drivetrain & Performance

StevesNovaSite.com is the premier Chevrolet Nova Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 10th-June-2010, 09:51 PM   #1
Novahead

Title: Nova Senior Member
Nova(s): 1970 SS 396 four speed
New throw out bearing same noise muncie 4

Ok all,

About a month ago started getting this noise/vibration when I pushed in the clutch. Sounded like a briggs/stratton centerfugel clutch whoble that needed some oil on brass bearing. It happends when I press on the clutch paddel and some times when I put it in reverse. You can feel it in the paddel and sound nasty, I replaced the TH/O bearing a few days ago with a good SKF bearing still same noise comes and goes. 11" center force clutch, fork is in good shape. checked the oil in the trans, full, clean, I did find a little bit of metal on the two magnetic plugs I think thats normal. Brass pilot bearing. going down the road there is no problems no noise. Last year when I had the trans out I inspected the gears didn't see any thing that looked odd. Any insite would be thanksfull hate to damage a Muncie.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10th-June-2010, 11:03 PM   #2
Plowman

Title: Nova Guru
Nova(s): 1967 1969
Sound's like the Front Cover is cracked. Inside of Throw Out Bearing rides on Front Cover. A new one is much thicker[you will need longer bolts].
Old 10th-June-2010, 11:08 PM   #3
the FLYER

Nova(s): B Pillar of Society
are you sure it's the throw out bearing and not a flywheel thickness issue ?

is it a stock or E Bay flywheel ? i purchased one where the seller neglected to notify it was for use with a NON-Spung clutch disc... the springs in the disc hit the bolt heads.

if it is the throw out bearing, did you install it correctly ?

'64 411 377-Tko600-3:73's
'64 469, '63 435 (projects), & '63 469 (my driver)

Videos~Albums
Old 11th-June-2010, 01:33 PM   #4
Novahead

Yep I see your installation and that is correct as for the fly wheel I have had it out a few times as for hitting of the bolts on the pring's there is no dust of odd sort's in the clutch chamber area no vissual damage. I didn't see any thing that appeared to be cracked not sure what cover you are talking about. All these componets have been in and out several time over the last year. So there has been a differant fork and now new bearing. Is it posiable that there is a problem in the trans?
Old 11th-June-2010, 04:34 PM   #5
veno

Nova(s): 72 385, t350, 3.73 4w-dsk
three things come to mind.. pilot, input support bearing, and uneven fingers on the hat...
Old 11th-June-2010, 04:42 PM   #6
badaznova70

Nova(s): 1970 nova ss clone
Quote:
Originally Posted by veno View Post
three things come to mind.. pilot, input support bearing, and uneven fingers on the hat...
this was my thought too.Id check the pilot bushing in the end of the crank.Bronze is kinda soft so it could be egg shaped ever so slightly and you wouldnt be able to see it.Id replace the bronze bushing with a roller bearing type bushing if it were me.As far as the internals of the trans the only way to really check is to dissassemble it.Like Veno said it could be the input shaft bearing also.Good luck
Old 11th-June-2010, 09:38 PM   #7
Plowman

Sound's like ,Input shaft Bearing Front Cover cracked.
Old 11th-June-2010, 10:43 PM   #8
Novahead

Well the pilot bearing is new if 2,500 miles inspected the trans shaft tip smooth, all the finger looks good all at same level no dis collor or wear. I think the plate you are taliking about is the input shaft support. does it have four bolts with antie loosen retainers on them if so I imspected that looks good. Let me ask this if the bearing is bad can it be replaced via the front cover or from the inside and if the bearing is bad does this require addtional parts that caused its failure or could it have failed by its self and then only need to replace it thanks.
Old 11th-June-2010, 11:42 PM   #9
Plowman

Replaced by via front cover. Some go bad. It is left hand thread on input shaft nut.
Old 11th-June-2010, 11:59 PM   #10
tnblkc230wz

Nova(s): 1971 Nova
The plate is called the bearing retainer. If there are any groves in it, replace it. They are cheap and easy to replace. There should be a small amount of lubricant on the bearing retainer as well. don't put too much or it will get on the clutch.

If the input bearing is bad, you will hear it with the clutch engaged. You will hear a rattle from it as the ball bearing bang against each other. It is easy to check by removing the bearing retainer. You will often get a vibration if the bearing is bad.
Old 12th-June-2010, 07:57 PM   #11
Novahead

Plowman are you saying that the bearing is threaded on or a nut holding it on under the cover? I looked at a drawing today it looked as if the Bearing retainer held the bearing in place. tnblkc230WZ that is what is odd it seams to be good going down the road or at least i can't hear it, it is only when I put the car in gear forward or reverse clutch pedal to the floor that I hear the noise. If the noise does accur not always I can ingage the clutch and load the engine slitly some times it will stop it or just take off and it will stop.
Old 12th-June-2010, 08:16 PM   #12
tvnl

Nova(s): 63 SS
Does it make the noise with the car in gear while sitting still? If so it's nothing in the trans, it would have to be the throw out bearing or pilot bushing making the noise because the input shaft would not be turning.

63 SS in intermediate stages of a Pro Street car. Build thread
Old 12th-June-2010, 08:47 PM   #13
Novahead

Ok, I just got off of Riverside gear's web page in GR Michigan. I see how it all goes together so additional questions there. Tvnl that is correct the noise seams to only accure when the clutch is pressed to the floor and you put it in gear F or R any gear. So dose this rase any questions requarding the pressure plate or clutch. like I had mentioned the fork is a differant one same style and the pilot bearing is low miles and throw out bearing is new. As mentioned prior in this thread it is looking like I might have an egg shaped pilot bearing that would cause the oscalation of the input shaft at idle and would be turning in drive. Whats every one think

Last edited by Novahead; 12th-June-2010 at 09:31 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 13th-June-2010, 12:47 AM   #14
tnblkc230wz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novahead View Post
tnblkc230WZ that is what is odd it seams to be good going down the road or at least i can't hear it, it is only when I put the car in gear forward or reverse clutch pedal to the floor that I hear the noise. If the noise does accur not always I can ingage the clutch and load the engine slitly some times it will stop it or just take off and it will stop.
Put the car in neutral, let the clutch out and listen under the car. You will usually hear the ball bearings rattle if they are bad.
Old 13th-June-2010, 12:51 AM   #15
tnblkc230wz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novahead View Post
Ok, I just got off of Riverside gear's web page in GR Michigan. I see how it all goes together so additional questions there. Tvnl that is correct the noise seams to only accure when the clutch is pressed to the floor and you put it in gear F or R any gear. So dose this rase any questions requarding the pressure plate or clutch. like I had mentioned the fork is a differant one same style and the pilot bearing is low miles and throw out bearing is new. As mentioned prior in this thread it is looking like I might have an egg shaped pilot bearing that would cause the oscalation of the input shaft at idle and would be turning in drive. Whats every one think
If your pilot bearing is bad, it WILL vibrate driving down the road. It will eventually destroy the input bearing on the trans as well

The pilot bearing and the input bearing hold the input shaft in perfect alignment. If either are bad, the input shaft will wobble. If this happens, the clutch disk will be allowed to wobble a little too.

The bronze pilot bushings are pretty reliable. If it is bad, I look for other issues that may have caused it to get egg shaped.

Last edited by tnblkc230wz; 13th-June-2010 at 12:53 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement