68 nova with air and a big block - Chevy Nova Forum
Visit our sponsor, National Nostalgic Nova

Steve's Nova Site is an automotive enthusiast website dedicated to the 1962 - 1979 Chevrolet Nova, Chevy II and Acadian automobiles. We work together to preserve, restore, drive, show, race and provide fellowship for these classic cars. This is one of the best places to find information about parts, rebuilding, restoration and racing. This website is not affiliated with GM, General Motors or Chevrolet in any capacity.

Go Back   Chevy Nova Forum > Non-Technical > 3rd Generation Chevy II/Nova's

StevesNovaSite.com is the premier Chevrolet Nova Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 25th-May-2010, 05:12 PM   #1
tazwings3

Title: Nova Newbie
Nova(s): 1968 chevy nova
Smile 68 nova with air and a big block

I own a 68 nova with a big block and I am trying to put air conditioning in it. i am looking for any pictures for where the heater hoses connect to the firewall and I also need to know what kind of valve covers i can run, tall ones or short ones. Any help is greatly appericated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 25th-May-2010, 05:20 PM   #2
scherp69

Title: Nova Guru
Nova(s): 68 pro-touring Acadian
What kind of air conditioning set up are you trying to put in? Is it a stock set up or aftermarket set up? Also, would love to see some pics of the car.
Old 26th-May-2010, 07:08 AM   #3
Tommy

Title: Nova Guru
Nova(s): 1968 ChevyII SS
GM didn't offer A/C on the Big Block Novas so there are no "factory" references to this. GM did offer A/C on the 1st gen Camaro Big Blocks (325 horse) and that firewall is the same as your Nova so you can find pictures of early Camaros to compare with what you want to do. It might be simpler to install an aftermarket unit from someone like Vintage Air. I have seen the Camaros with air and a BB and it is a tight fit.

Tommy
Old 26th-May-2010, 08:57 AM   #4
tazwings3

I am trying to install a aftermarket kit from classic auto air, if I can ever recieve the kit from them, but that is a different story. I will see if I can find pics of a BB camaro.
Old 26th-May-2010, 09:58 AM   #5
L78 Nova

Title: Nova Senior Member
Nova(s): 1970 CDN L78 1972 Mini tub 1968 SS A
I have a small block 68 Nova with working factory AC. If you're not in a hurry I can get some pics if you PM me. It's even tight in there with a small block.

I've heard the BB Camaro heater box is a little different than SB (clearanced inward near the valve cover). I've also heard the Camaro BB AC housing is available repro. Can anyone confirm either ??

I want to put a 427 in this thing and it sure doesn't look like it will fit right now.

Gary
Old 26th-May-2010, 02:00 PM   #6
tazwings3

I do know that the heater boxes are different between the SB and the BB. The heater hoses go into the middle of the heater box for the BB rather than off to the driver's side on the SB so there is no clearance problems, at least on the novas that I have looked at. As for the camaros, I would not know for sure.
Old 26th-May-2010, 07:45 PM   #7
TechNova

Title: Moderator
Nova(s): 73, (2) 69's
Quote:
Originally Posted by L78 Nova View Post
I have a small block 68 Nova with working factory AC. If you're not in a hurry I can get some pics if you PM me. It's even tight in there with a small block.

I've heard the BB Camaro heater box is a little different than SB (clearanced inward near the valve cover). I've also heard the Camaro BB AC housing is available repro. Can anyone confirm either ??

I want to put a 427 in this thing and it sure doesn't look like it will fit right now.

Gary
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazwings3 View Post
I do know that the heater boxes are different between the SB and the BB. The heater hoses go into the middle of the heater box for the BB rather than off to the driver's side on the SB so there is no clearance problems, at least on the novas that I have looked at. As for the camaros, I would not know for sure.

One half of the evaporator housing (the fiberglass type part on the firewall) is different on a BB Camaro. It provides clearance for stock valve covers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement