Bucket Seat Placement - Chevy Nova Forum
Visit our sponsor, National Nostalgic Nova

Steve's Nova Site is an automotive enthusiast website dedicated to the 1962 - 1979 Chevrolet Nova, Chevy II and Acadian automobiles. We work together to preserve, restore, drive, show, race and provide fellowship for these classic cars. This is one of the best places to find information about parts, rebuilding, restoration and racing. This website is not affiliated with GM, General Motors or Chevrolet in any capacity.

Go Back   Chevy Nova Forum > Body, Chassis and Mechanical > Body and Interior

StevesNovaSite.com is the premier Chevrolet Nova Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 7th-April-2010, 10:38 PM   #1
Stuntman Mike

Title: Nova Senior Member
Nova(s): '69 Nova
Bucket Seat Placement

My car originally had a bench seat. I'm installing buckets out of a '74. I know the seat tracks are different than what the '69 buckets. I thought though, that the outer seat track would bolt into the holes where the bench bolted up. I was wrong on that. Question is, where exactly do they bolt up? I got those generic bucket seat conversion brakcets from Classic Industries. I know some people say they're junk. They were cheap! Anyway, does anyone have some pics I could use for reference? Or even better pics with measurements?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 8th-April-2010, 11:24 AM   #2
shawner

Nova(s): 1971 nova 2dr ss clone of course
hi
i used those brackets and they worked fine for me- i don't have any pictures, but the outer brackets go pretty much next to the outer holes and then you can set the seat in to mark for the inside brackets and then weld them in. the edge of the outer bracket sits on the hump next to the original hole--hop i explained this ok--shawn
Old 8th-April-2010, 11:32 AM   #3
david68

I don't know if this will help or not but here it is.

Old 8th-April-2010, 12:15 PM   #4
69AKDN

Title: Nova Guru
Nova(s): None

Hope this helps a bit...I might have a better shot somewhere else.
Old 8th-April-2010, 01:12 PM   #5
Stuntman Mike

Nova(s): '69 Nova
Yeah, both the diagram and the pic help alot. And make me wish I had just bought the factory brackets. Anyone use those generic brackets I bought and have pics of their "success" with them?
Old 8th-April-2010, 03:22 PM   #6
justsomeguy

buckets

This 69 was a bench seat car and I installed the factory over the hump pieces for the inner 4 bolts and used the repop pieces in the outter 4 bolts.

I have a true bucket seat car so I used that for the measurements. I did move everything rearward an inch on the 69 to get a bit more leg room.

Last edited by justsomeguy; 8th-April-2010 at 03:27 PM.
Old 10th-August-2010, 01:20 AM   #7
pat123

Nova(s): 1969 L78 Clone
Quote:
I don't know if this will help or not but here it is.

Im doing a non console so how long is the console hump? And what exactly is the outer door jam? Is it the lip that sticks up?

Thanks
Pat
Old 10th-August-2010, 10:45 AM   #8
david68

I don't have the measurements for the console hump. Maybe someone that has one will reply or you could PM justsomeguy. Here is a link to the diagram I posted above and there is a picture on that page showing where the door jam measurements are taken. Good Luck!

http://www.novashop.net/info/console.htm

There is also some good non-console shifter info on that site.

Last edited by david68; 10th-August-2010 at 10:48 AM. Reason: Add link
Old 3rd-November-2011, 06:33 PM   #9
pat123

Finally got around to putting my seats in. Unfortunately it doesn't look as easy as i thought. First off i dont even know if i have the correct tracks. Also when i mount them would i put the tracks right forward or back or does it matter?
Pics

The seat looks like its leaning to far back.

Pat
Old 4th-November-2011, 12:01 PM   #10
TomFoolry

Title: Nova Newbie
Nova(s): 1972 l6 2dr.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pat123 View Post
Finally got around to putting my seats in. Unfortunately it doesn't look as easy as i thought. First off i dont even know if i have the correct tracks. Also when i mount them would i put the tracks right forward or back or does it matter?
Pics

The seat looks like its leaning to far back.

Pat
Looks about the same as mine.

What's really important is: How does it feel? Do the lean back too far to be comfortable? You don't want them too be too upright either. Mine are at an ideal position for me. Stratos are cool seats, then only thing I dislike is they have zero bolstering. What are yours out of?
Old 4th-November-2011, 02:08 PM   #11
asteeler4life

Nova(s): 1962 'VERT 1966 SS
FWIW
I SEEN SOME ORIGINAL TRACKS ON EBAY LAST WEEKEND I'M NOT SURE IF THEY ARE THERE ANYMORE. BUT THEY LOOKED GOOD AND FAIRLY PRICED, IF I REMEMBER CORRECTLY THEY WERE ABOUT $30 BUCKS. MY BE WORTH LOOKIN' INTO. I'LL LOOK AGAIN TOO.
GOOD LUCK!

62INLINE 6 GROUP
66 NOVA SS COUPE INC.
Old 4th-November-2011, 02:51 PM   #12
pat123

Quote:
What are yours out of?
That's my next question. Can anyone ID these seats? I wanna make sure I'm not installing the wrong seats. As long as the frames are correct.

Pat
Old 4th-November-2011, 05:39 PM   #13
TomFoolry

Title: Nova Newbie
Nova(s): 1972 l6 2dr.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pat123 View Post
That's my next question. Can anyone ID these seats? I wanna make sure I'm not installing the wrong seats. As long as the frames are correct.

Pat
All Strato bucket frames were the same across board for GM cars, they just had different sliders and slider feet because of the different floors. The dimensions changed a bit over the years, but none of those changes were model specific, simply adaptations to comfort and crash test expectations.

Are yours head rest equipped? I can't tell, but in one picture they appear to be. Also, the plastic trim and center button on the back is indicative of the 69-72 Strato seats (Nova's got ugly single-piece backs for 72).

So in short, yes, you have the correct seats, you'll just need to source foams and skins. I hope you have the head rests, if not, they can be found after market. Rebuilding Strato seats is very easy. Take them apart carefully so you can see where GM hog ringed them on the middle of the seat base and back, it affecst the finished appearance. Also, inspect the base springs and wires for any breakage, they reproduce those as well. Last but not least, sometimes the frames warp so check them out and fix as needed. Nothing sucks more than finishing a seat restoration, sitting in them, and realizing your seats have a permanent gangster lean.

Good luck man, I love these seats, they are my favorite and look right at home in Late 60's early 70's GMs.
Old 5th-November-2011, 05:53 AM   #14
david68

Is everyone here (on this thread) sure of the year and configuration of the seats in question? I copied this pic from somewhere on the internet (possibly from this site) because these seats are the same as the seats that came in my 72 (with a slight difference in upholstery). These are said to be 74 year model. They sure look different than the pics posted on this thread and I'm positive that these matched my 72 bought new in 72.

Old 5th-November-2011, 10:49 AM   #15
car_man602

Nova(s): 1972
Quote:
Originally Posted by david68 View Post
Is everyone here (on this thread) sure of the year and configuration of the seats in question? I copied this pic from somewhere on the internet (possibly from this site) because these seats are the same as the seats that came in my 72 (with a slight difference in upholstery). These are said to be 74 year model. They sure look different than the pics posted on this thread and I'm positive that these matched my 72 bought new in 72.

72 was the first year of the highback buckets you have pics of here 69-71 had the strato buckets in your previous pics .Highbacks would be factory correct for 72 and up
Sponsored Links
Advertisement