2 Speed to 700r4 Swap? - Chevy Nova Forum
Visit our sponsor, National Nostalgic Nova

Steve's Nova Site is an automotive enthusiast website dedicated to the 1962 - 1979 Chevrolet Nova, Chevy II and Acadian automobiles. We work together to preserve, restore, drive, show, race and provide fellowship for these classic cars. This is one of the best places to find information about parts, rebuilding, restoration and racing. This website is not affiliated with GM, General Motors or Chevrolet in any capacity.

Go Back   Chevy Nova Forum > Body, Chassis and Mechanical > Drivetrain & Performance

StevesNovaSite.com is the premier Chevrolet Nova Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 20th-March-2010, 11:05 PM   #1
JShippey

Title: Nova Newbie
Nova(s): 1963 Nova Wagon
2 Speed to 700r4 Swap?

Hey guys,
Totally done trying to assess my transmission problems. Also, im tired of high RMS and poor economy due to the 2 speed. i want to swap with a 700r4 but im wondering if im gonna have to do a serious driveshaft swap...is it one hell of ajob? I really just want the overdrive for long treks i know it wont save MUCH on gas but the lower RMS will help keep my engine temp down. What am i lookin at here?

'63 Wagon. 327 v8 2 speed powerglide
Thanks guys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 20th-March-2010, 11:28 PM   #2
63AKDN

Title: Nova Guru
Nova(s): 63 Acadian Beaumont
I got a tranny shop to put in a 700R4 for me a few years ago. He had one on his shelf and rebuilt it with a mild shift kit and got the stock torque converter rebuilt as well. Other than modifying the stock dipstick that was in the tranny, he said there were no issues installing it. Here is a list I brought to him:
-BTO crossmember
-Vega driveshaft with new ujoints installed (bolts in, there are others which will work as well which can be found here hopefully with the search function)
-Holley bracket and Chevy truck TV cable (shortly afterwards I purchased a Lokar cable and bracket for it)
-prewired a manual lockup plug and left it hanging there so all he had to do was plug it into the tranny (I can send you the wiring diagram if you like)
-I don't remember if the stock speedo cable was long enough or if I brought him a longer one to use, but I ended up installing a Lokar cable afterwards
-I installed an external cooler as I run with a Summit rad with no tranny cooler

Hope this helps.

1963 Acadian Beaumont
355/700R4/Auburn Pro Series posi and 3.73's
Old 21st-March-2010, 01:45 AM   #3
Lmonkey

Title: Readers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JShippey View Post
Hey guys,
Totally done trying to assess my transmission problems. Also, im tired of high RMS and poor economy due to the 2 speed. i want to swap with a 700r4 but im wondering if im gonna have to do a serious driveshaft swap...is it one hell of ajob? I really just want the overdrive for long treks i know it wont save MUCH on gas but the lower RMS will help keep my engine temp down. What am i lookin at here?

'63 Wagon. 327 v8 2 speed powerglide
Thanks guys
It's not really that hard,I did mine myself.But pulled it back out to have it rebuilt.Shorter drive shaft,different cross member,speedo gears,tv cable set up.I had 500 in parts not including transmission.Check out bowtie overdrives they have a ton of info on these swaps.also check out the 2004r swap a lot of people like that one too.floor shifter too
Old 21st-March-2010, 03:57 AM   #4
Mavico77

Title: Nova Newbie
Nova(s): 1977
Just went over to a buddys fathers house. They are just finishing up swapping a 700r4 into a 63 impala that had a powerglide. He had the driveshaft shortened 5 inches. He also had to buy a different yoke. I guess there were 2 different ones for the powerglide that year and his thick splined one didnt fit the 700.They also used the bowtie overdrives crossmember.
Advertisement