1970 Mini Tub Question - Chevy Nova Forum
Visit our sponsor, National Nostalgic Nova

Steve's Nova Site is an automotive enthusiast website dedicated to the 1962 - 1979 Chevrolet Nova, Chevy II and Acadian automobiles. We work together to preserve, restore, drive, show, race and provide fellowship for these classic cars. This is one of the best places to find information about parts, rebuilding, restoration and racing. This website is not affiliated with GM, General Motors or Chevrolet in any capacity.

Go Back   Chevy Nova Forum > Body, Chassis and Mechanical > Steering, Suspension, and Chassis

StevesNovaSite.com is the premier Chevrolet Nova Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 15th-December-2009, 12:12 AM   #1
HChurchill

Title: Nova Newbie
1970 Mini Tub Question

Hello everyone, this is my first post here and just thought I would share some pictures of my recent project. I'll post some pictures as soon as I figure out how to attach them It's a 70 that I just started to mini tub, first time and its going well. The question I have though is how much clearance should I have between the sheetmetal and the tire? Before I started I had roughly 11 1/4" of room after the tub I have 13 1/2". If my math is correct a 315 is 12 1/2" wide so I should have 1/2" on each side. I think this is enough just not sure. I will be installing a 4 link after the tubs are done with a rear mounted panhard, so axle movement should be minimal. Just need to figure out how to post pictures.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 16th-December-2009, 12:50 AM   #2
71 Nova

Title: Nova Junior Member
Nova(s): 71 Nova 406 SB
Welcome to the site. I'm lOoking forward to seeing your pics mini tubbing. My nova is my next project
Old 16th-December-2009, 01:49 AM   #3
HChurchill

Maybe someone can help with this. The system wont let me post attachments, so I cant post my pictures. Which is a real drag. I'll try to get in touch with a moderator or hopefully one will chime in and we can get this resolved.
Old 16th-December-2009, 09:44 AM   #4
bowtie0069

Title: Nova Guru
Nova(s): 69
You can attach small photos using the little paper clip symbol, but it's easier and you can add larger photos using a hosting site; I use Fotki, many on here use Photobucket.
Old 17th-December-2009, 01:54 AM   #5
HChurchill

There is no paper clip and it tells me I can not post attachments. Have no idea why. I put some pictures on photobucket and will post a link and hopefully it works. Finished welding out the passenger side last night and started cutting out the drivers side today. Thanks again.

http://s948.photobucket.com/albums/a...0nova%20build/
Old 17th-December-2009, 06:13 PM   #6
Jasons72

Nova(s): 72 355 71 moredoor 350
Cool, i will be doing that this winter, did you just move the stock wheel well out and add a strip to the center?

Old 17th-December-2009, 08:55 PM   #7
HChurchill

No, I actually did it the same way that TCI did there 68 camaro. You can go to their website and download their manual for mini tubbing. It was really easy and very inexpensive compared to buying detroit speed tubs. Saved myself a couple hundred bucks doing it this way and like I said it was pretty easy. I did the passenger side first and it took about 12 hours to complete. I started on the drivers side today and worked on it for about 3 hours and estimate it will take me another 6 hours to finish.
Old 17th-December-2009, 09:40 PM   #8
Professor Fate

Title: Moderator
Nova(s): Between Novas now
Post some pics of the car.

Old 17th-December-2009, 10:05 PM   #9
HChurchill

I'll have to take some. I just got the car two weeks ago and it's just a shell but in very good condition. Hardly any rust and a very straight body. Started its life out as a 6 cyl but will be receiving a BBC in the future. I plan on building a pro-touring car out of it. I'll be using a 4-link or torque arm in the rear. I'm hoping TCI will release a torque arm for my car very soon but I can live with a 4-link if need be. Any suggestion are welcome! I'll be keeping the factory subframe and running a tall spindle with tubular arms and C5 brakes front and rear.
Old 17th-December-2009, 10:40 PM   #10
ProNova

Nova(s): 1976 Pro Street SS clone
P tryed to find their web site,I am very interested in downloading it too,Can you give me a link?
I can't seem to find it
Quote:
Originally Posted by HChurchill View Post
No, I actually did it the same way that TCI did there 68 camaro. You can go to their website and download their manual for mini tubbing. It was really easy and very inexpensive compared to buying detroit speed tubs. Saved myself a couple hundred bucks doing it this way and like I said it was pretty easy. I did the passenger side first and it took about 12 hours to complete. I started on the drivers side today and worked on it for about 3 hours and estimate it will take me another 6 hours to finish.
Bruce NNN Member #41221 Prostreet Fraternity
Old 18th-December-2009, 12:15 AM   #11
HChurchill

www.totalcostinvolved.com
Old 18th-December-2009, 08:10 AM   #12
ProNova

Nova(s): 1976 Pro Street SS clone
Thanks, I had found that address last night but for some reason it was not working, Works today and I got it,I plan on doing same to a 74 and this is a big help
Bruce NNN Member #41221 Prostreet Fraternity
Sponsored Links
Advertisement