rear sway bar installation (Hellwig bar) - Chevy Nova Forum
Visit our sponsor, National Nostalgic Nova

Steve's Nova Site is an automotive enthusiast website dedicated to the 1962 - 1979 Chevrolet Nova, Chevy II and Acadian automobiles. We work together to preserve, restore, drive, show, race and provide fellowship for these classic cars. This is one of the best places to find information about parts, rebuilding, restoration and racing. This website is not affiliated with GM, General Motors or Chevrolet in any capacity.

Go Back   Chevy Nova Forum > Non-Technical > 1st & 2nd Generation Chevy II/Nova's

StevesNovaSite.com is the premier Chevrolet Nova Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 6th-December-2009, 10:10 PM   #1
the FLYER

Title: Nova Guru
Nova(s): B Pillar of Society
rear sway bar installation (Hellwig bar)

Yesterday David_H cam over and we installed the 5818 Hellwig rear sway bar on my '64. excuse the dirt, my car isn't a trailer biotch, i drive this baby

as you can see the sway bar is adjustable. i'm unsure how other than testing as the instructions don't really give specifics on the settings. i'll be calling them on Monday to inquire. as far as i know i have it in the middle setting

all the parts, the bar, brackets and end links are heavy duty parts. i'm looking forward to the installation of the Heidt's front bar... then road testing.

Johnny
'64 411 377-Tko600-3:73's
'64 469, '63 435 (projects), & '63 469 (my driver)

Videos~Albums
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 6th-December-2009, 10:58 PM   #2
superdude13

Title: Nova Junior Member
Nova(s): 1972 nova
Let us know how it feels. I have been looking at sway bars for a while wanted to know how it does.
Old 6th-December-2009, 11:58 PM   #3
lisandon95386

Nova(s): 63ss
hey john,i ran a addco bar along time ago and the brackets on the rearend would move around with spirited driveing,aka beating the you no what out of the car.ended up tack welding the brackets on the rearend.also the framerail connection needed be***** up with plates,i tore the frame brackets clean out of the rail.just a heads up,iam sure you beat on that car like i always do mine.with the addco bar it seemed to work better with the end of the bar level at the endlink mount,WITH ME SITTING IN THE CAR.i mounted mine like yours below the rearend and then on top.IT WORKED BETTER WITH THE MOUNTING BRACKETS/BAR MOUNTED ON THE TOP SIDE OF THE REAREND,hope this might help
don
norcal group

Last edited by lisandon95386; 7th-December-2009 at 12:10 AM.
Old 7th-December-2009, 12:01 AM   #4
klean63

Nova(s): 1963 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisandon95386 View Post
hey john,i ran a addco bar along time ago and the brackets on the rearend would move around with spirited driveing,aka beating the you no what out of the car.ended up tack welding the brackets on the rearend.also the framerail connection needed be***** up with plates,i tore the frame brackets clean out of the rail.just a heads up,iam sure you beat on that car like i always do mine
don
norcal group
Look closely at the pic's. This is a different set-up than the Addco bar.

The Addco bar is rear facing and the links mount to the rear most part of the frame.

The Hellwig is a front facing bar and the links mount to a much sturdier section of the frame. If i'm not mistaken, the Hellwig also has a peice that goes into the frame for additional reinforcement

Last edited by klean63; 7th-December-2009 at 12:05 AM.
Old 7th-December-2009, 12:21 AM   #5
lisandon95386

Nova(s): 63ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by klean63 View Post
Look closely at the pic's. This is a different set-up than the Addco bar.

The Addco bar is rear facing and the links mount to the rear most part of the frame.

The Hellwig is a front facing bar and the links mount to a much sturdier section of the frame. If i'm not mistaken, the Hellwig also has a peice that goes into the frame for additional reinforcement
bill that addco i had mounted on the rear just like johns and faced forward,the endlink brackets used a u bolt into the frame.i tore the framerail u bolt clean out of the driverside framerail,plumrat was wondering what happened to it,while he was putting the new qrts on my car.he is going to fix that chunk of metal that was torn out.that bar john has mounts lower in the front than the addco i had on my car,the frame bracket on johns car is much lower than the addco i had.your right bill that hellwig setup looks way better than the addco i used in the early 80.s
don
norcal group

Last edited by lisandon95386; 7th-December-2009 at 12:29 AM.
Old 7th-December-2009, 01:27 AM   #6
the FLYER

Yes, a spacer/tube fits inside the frame rail to prevent the bolt from crushing/collapsing the frame rail when tightened or (i'll suppose) when forces are put on it.

might be a good idea to weld the brackets to the differential too... i hadn't thought of that. i'll have to keep an eye on it, see how it does.

i'm hoping to have the front end pulled down this week to have the brackets welded to my lower A Arms. i might be swapping spindles too but on that i'm still undecided... also another demon reared its ugly face... a leaking intake manifold. so now i'm trying to decide on whether i'll just pull the engine so everything can be cleaned up or to do it with the engine in the car... i might be changing cams at the same time so that's another reason to consider the engine removal... sigh... and here i thought my car was done yeah yeah yeah... when are they ever done ?

Johnny (in mock up stage)

Videos~Albums
Old 7th-December-2009, 01:42 AM   #7
Shawn F.

Nova(s): 1963 Chevy II Wagon
Looks very nice. I need to add a sway bar to my 63 Chevy II wagon, do they make an application for a wagon or is it that same as any 1st Gen Chevy II?
Old 7th-December-2009, 01:47 AM   #8
the FLYER

LongRoof, Coopercar or Sedan... i believe it's the same bar

just a thought though, just in case... from what i've always heard, never use a rear bar without a front bar

(just a reminder)

Videos~Albums
Old 8th-December-2009, 01:04 PM   #9
Dave@Hellwig

Title: Nova Newbie
As long as the U-bolts are torqued correctly, the saddles on the axle should not move. As far as initial setting, I reccomend using the softest setting first (longest distance from the axle) for the initial setting. It can be made stiffer after you drive the car and become familiar with its new characteristics. If you don't already have a front bar, you need one for the car to handle well. Otherwise the car will be loose and could end up being uncontrollable if pushed hard. We have our new front bar p/n 5718 that works with the stock suspension or a CPP mini-subframe. It features 7" long end link bolts to allow the suspension to freely articulate.
Old 8th-December-2009, 02:42 PM   #10
the FLYER

i don't recall if you're the guy i talked to on the phone but regardless... nice sway bar, good looking product.

as far as the front bar goes, i have a Heidt's clip.

Videos~Albums
Old 8th-December-2009, 09:13 PM   #11
Duane

Nova(s): 66 2DR POST LS1
Any idea if this will fit on a car with springs moved inboard?
Old 8th-December-2009, 09:17 PM   #12
the FLYER

Duane, my shock plates have been modified to allow for the QA1's. the distance between the shock and the bar is approximately 3/4" per side

my springs are in the stock location... so i'll say no, it's not going to fit with relocated springs.

Videos~Albums
Old 8th-December-2009, 09:28 PM   #13
Duane

Nova(s): 66 2DR POST LS1
Quote:
Originally Posted by the FLYER View Post
Duane, my shock plates have been modified to allow for the QA1's. the distance between the shock and the bar is approximately 3/4" per side

my springs are in the stock location... so i'll say no, it's not going to fit with relocated springs.
Thats what I figured Johnny, oh well, guess I'll keep searching, trying to stay away from them 3-400 dollar adjustables.
Old 8th-December-2009, 09:35 PM   #14
the FLYER

Duane, just a thought but aren't the Cal-Tracs going to operate somewhat as a sway bar ?

Videos~Albums
Old 10th-December-2009, 04:22 PM   #15
Craigert

Johnny,

Just to keep you up to date, I was the test mule for the new front Hellwig sway bar and they so kindly set up the rear with one of the same sway bars you have. The Blonde convertible!

I love the way it corners.
Advertisement